Felt F65X Cyclocross Bike

• Drivetrain: SRAM Apex shifters & front derailleur
  • Wheelset: Felt CXR3 Cyclocross Disc

Submitted by Kyle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2015

Strengths:    Affordable bike with high end features such as Shimano 105 11 speed group, TRP Spyre mechanical dual piston disc brakes and a tubeless wheelset.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than claimed on website, by 2 pounds I think. I have a 55 cm that weighed in at 23.5 lbs with spd pedals (I believe).

Bottom Line:
2014 or 2015 Felt f65x.
I don't ride a ton. But I like to climb hills on my road bike, and ride my mountain bike with my dog on simple single track (nothing too technical). I also do a couple 100 mile rides a year. A friend wanted to do a gravel grinder and asked if I was interested, I decided to sell my aluminum road bike and mountain bike and get this cross bike. I loved riding my road bike, just not on highways due to traffic. And I liked climbing on my mountain bike, but descents were boring (probably because it was a single speed). I tell you all that to say, I am so glad I bought this cyclocross bike. It is a great gravel bike and commuter, and I think I will be happy with it as my road bike.

Drivetrain: The Shimano 105 shifts flawlessly, partly due to the 46/36 front chain rings that allow for very little chain slack (compared to a 50/34). I have only used older 9 speed shimano dura ace and entry level sram. I would say this 105 is the nicest drivetrain for the money out today. A friend of mine mentioned his ultegra 11 speed shifts identical. I am extremely surprised at how comfortable the hoods are as well. The shimano 105 is one of the biggest reasons I bought this bike.

Disc brakes: The TRP Spyre C seem to be a great product right out of the box. The disc brakes have not been broken in yet (or pads bedded or whatever tech stuff needs to happen for them to work well), but they worked great in mud when my friends canti's were grinding and not applying much pressure. They have a dual piston design which is great. My old BB7's with expensive pads and longer pull levers stop my mountain bike better at this point in time, but I only have 20 miles on these brakes. When I asked the bike mechanic his opinion of these dual piston mechanical brakes that come factory on the felt vs. bb7's, he simply said, "we try to steer away from BB7's with what is on the market today". He didn't say bb7's were bad. He just said, there is other products that deserve people's attention, such as these. I am still undecided if I like them better than avid bb7's. I think if the pads embed and they have similar stopping power to my bb7's, with less rotor rub and less cable that needs pulled (compared to bb7's), then I will be extremely satisfied. Either way I think disc brakes on a cyclocross bike are a great choice. I am very

Frame and fork: I am 5' 11" and weigh 175 lbs. The frame seems well built with good clean tig welds. I haven't weighed the frame unbuilt, so I have no opinion on it's weight. The 55cm seems to fit me well (I could not have done a 57cm). The front fork is beefed up carbon blades and seems to be very strong. I have not done many long rides, so I have no opinion yet of the forks vibration capabilities, flex under braking or other characteristics.

Wheelset: The wheels seem well built. I have no comment about their bearings, or their true weight. I do think they come in at over 2,000 grams easy. But I have not weighed them yet. The wheelset is tubeless ready, but since I will be throwing slicks on to do a century and some road rides occasionally, I will probably refrain from going tubeless anytime soon. The wheels seem tough and are probably heavier than a $600 entry level wheelset. I put a rim straight into a curb going 5-8 mph and caused a pinch flat, but the wheel survived without going out of true. Pretty impressive because I hit it hard.

Tires: I think the factory tires roll pretty fast for having grooves for mud. The center grooves are long and seem to roll smoothly while taking turns on single track had great grip.

Saddle: The Prologo x10 saddle has been getting great reviews. I did not ride on it long before I realized I wanted my brooks put on this bike. I normally have numbness issues with saddles that do not have a relief cut out, so I decided to not spend time trying to get it adjusted. The prologo x10 seems to be the nicest factory supplied saddle on an entry level bike I have seen.

Drop bars: The drop bars widen a little at the bottom, which I really like. I haven't measured them, but they feel extremely comfortable, probably 2cm wider than my road bars on top, and 4 cm on bottom.

I believe I bought a 2015 model, but the website doesn't allow me to select that option.

Favorite Ride:   12 mile hill climb

Purchased At:   Ragged Edge Sports

Similar Products Used:   Kona Jake the Snake Cannondale caad8 road bike, trek marlin single speed 29er.

Bike Setup:   Set up with 33 vittorio cross pro mud tires. Everything straight from the bike store.