Felt F65X Cyclocross Bike

• Drivetrain: SRAM Apex shifters & front derailleur
  • Wheelset: Felt CXR3 Cyclocross Disc

Submitted by Steve a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2016

Strengths:    Frame Geometry, frame quality.

Weaknesses:    BB-5 Brakes. Heavy wheels. From the shop the handle bar tape job was terrible.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2014 model with SRAM components. I purchased this bike mainly for CX racing and it is my first CX bike. I think the frame size runs on the big size. I'm 5-10 and ride a size 53! It sounds small but is very close in size to some other mfgs size 54. The geometry is quick and the frame is stiff in every way. The carbon fork is also stiff. I really like the aluminum frame and think the handling on the bike is excellent. The bike has a race tuned geometry and as such the head tube is comparatively short. Don't buy this bike if you want relaxed geometry and a tall head-tube.

The F65X makes for an excellent gravel bike. As a gravel bike a 40mm tire easily fits on the front. I ride with a 40mm on the rear also, but there is little clearance. WTB 40mm NANO tire fits front and rear.

The package Felt assembled on this bike is an excellent value and fun to ride. I'm fortunate enough to own more than one bike, but if I were able to own only one bike this would be the bike for me.

That said, I've made many changes to the bike from stock in order to tune it for me and my style of riding. .

1. Updated brakes to BB-7 with SRAM rotors. The BB5 brakes are a pain to adjust and the stopping power of the BB7 is much improved 160mm front and back rotors.
2. Updated the wheels to Stan's Iron Cross. Running tubeless. This was a huge improvement on the bike. The stock wheels are a full 1 pound heavier than the Iron Cross wheels.
3. Updated to 1X10. I used a Wolf Tooth chain ring and a SRAM X9 type2 der. ZERO chain drops after lots of racing, single track and gravel rides.
4. The stock handle bars on the 53cm frame are only 42cm wide. For cross racing a wider handlebar was essential so I changed to a ZIPP 44cm aluminum bar.

Similar Products Used:   This is my first CX bike

Submitted by Kyle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2015

Strengths:    Affordable bike with high end features such as Shimano 105 11 speed group, TRP Spyre mechanical dual piston disc brakes and a tubeless wheelset.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than claimed on website, by 2 pounds I think. I have a 55 cm that weighed in at 23.5 lbs with spd pedals (I believe).

Bottom Line:
2014 or 2015 Felt f65x.
I don't ride a ton. But I like to climb hills on my road bike, and ride my mountain bike with my dog on simple single track (nothing too technical). I also do a couple 100 mile rides a year. A friend wanted to do a gravel grinder and asked if I was interested, I decided to sell my aluminum road bike and mountain bike and get this cross bike. I loved riding my road bike, just not on highways due to traffic. And I liked climbing on my mountain bike, but descents were boring (probably because it was a single speed). I tell you all that to say, I am so glad I bought this cyclocross bike. It is a great gravel bike and commuter, and I think I will be happy with it as my road bike.

Drivetrain: The Shimano 105 shifts flawlessly, partly due to the 46/36 front chain rings that allow for very little chain slack (compared to a 50/34). I have only used older 9 speed shimano dura ace and entry level sram. I would say this 105 is the nicest drivetrain for the money out today. A friend of mine mentioned his ultegra 11 speed shifts identical. I am extremely surprised at how comfortable the hoods are as well. The shimano 105 is one of the biggest reasons I bought this bike.

Disc brakes: The TRP Spyre C seem to be a great product right out of the box. The disc brakes have not been broken in yet (or pads bedded or whatever tech stuff needs to happen for them to work well), but they worked great in mud when my friends canti's were grinding and not applying much pressure. They have a dual piston design which is great. My old BB7's with expensive pads and longer pull levers stop my mountain bike better at this point in time, but I only have 20 miles on these brakes. When I asked the bike mechanic his opinion of these dual piston mechanical brakes that come factory on the felt vs. bb7's, he simply said, "we try to steer away from BB7's with what is on the market today". He didn't say bb7's were bad. He just said, there is other products that deserve people's attention, such as these. I am still undecided if I like them better than avid bb7's. I think if the pads embed and they have similar stopping power to my bb7's, with less rotor rub and less cable that needs pulled (compared to bb7's), then I will be extremely satisfied. Either way I think disc brakes on a cyclocross bike are a great choice. I am very

Frame and fork: I am 5' 11" and weigh 175 lbs. The frame seems well built with good clean tig welds. I haven't weighed the frame unbuilt, so I have no opinion on it's weight. The 55cm seems to fit me well (I could not have done a 57cm). The front fork is beefed up carbon blades and seems to be very strong. I have not done many long rides, so I have no opinion yet of the forks vibration capabilities, flex under braking or other characteristics.

Wheelset: The wheels seem well built. I have no comment about their bearings, or their true weight. I do think they come in at over 2,000 grams easy. But I have not weighed them yet. The wheelset is tubeless ready, but since I will be throwing slicks on to do a century and some road rides occasionally, I will probably refrain from going tubeless anytime soon. The wheels seem tough and are probably heavier than a $600 entry level wheelset. I put a rim straight into a curb going 5-8 mph and caused a pinch flat, but the wheel survived without going out of true. Pretty impressive because I hit it hard.

Tires: I think the factory tires roll pretty fast for having grooves for mud. The center grooves are long and seem to roll smoothly while taking turns on single track had great grip.

Saddle: The Prologo x10 saddle has been getting great reviews. I did not ride on it long before I realized I wanted my brooks put on this bike. I normally have numbness issues with saddles that do not have a relief cut out, so I decided to not spend time trying to get it adjusted. The prologo x10 seems to be the nicest factory supplied saddle on an entry level bike I have seen.

Drop bars: The drop bars widen a little at the bottom, which I really like. I haven't measured them, but they feel extremely comfortable, probably 2cm wider than my road bars on top, and 4 cm on bottom.

I believe I bought a 2015 model, but the website doesn't allow me to select that option.

Favorite Ride:   12 mile hill climb

Purchased At:   Ragged Edge Sports

Similar Products Used:   Kona Jake the Snake Cannondale caad8 road bike, trek marlin single speed 29er.

Bike Setup:   Set up with 33 vittorio cross pro mud tires. Everything straight from the bike store.