Felt F75X Cyclocross Bike

• 2-piece cold forged aluminum 46/36T crankset
  • Felt 2.3 6061 aluminum handlebar

Submitted by Ian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent handling and all the tire clearance I'd want. Wheelset is nice except what's noted below.

Weaknesses:    Down-tube cable routing, hub bearings without locknuts, & low-end crankset.

Bottom Line:
This bike has served me well, but I can't say perfectly. The frame is nice and all, but for winter commuting I hate the down-tube cable routing. Another annoyance is that there's fender eyelets on the fork, but not in the back.

Despite the maintenance annoyance of no full rear fenders and the cables getting all the mud and salt, this bike is a blast to ride on dirt paths, cyclocross courses, and does fine on pavement with slicks. If all you plan to do is race and don't mind cleaning every time; this one's for you.

Bike Setup:   Drivetrain changed to SRAM Apex with FSA Gossamer crankset, and WiFi cassette. I've also put a fork mounted cable housing bridge to replace the headset mounted one because it makes full-brake power use smoother.

Submitted by slowcross a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2013

Strengths:    Versatile bike, good components, able to use wide range of tire sizes, fenders, easy shifting with 105, very comfortable bike. They are a good gravel grinder-very stable with the H5 tires. The original tires were Vittoria Cross XM on the 2010, and Cross XG on the 2012.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have the 2010 with 11/25 cassette, which I changed to a 12/30 to get up the hills better (I am 61 yrs old), and my wife has the 2012 which has an 11/28. We aren't racers, obviously, but wanted a light bike that could use on various terains. These bikes do the trick, we have 23's mounted on one set of wheels, and another set with Bontrager H5 Hardcase tires and slime tubes for gravel and trails. They are easy to ride, and always reliable. We always get lots of compliments on how fine they look.

Bike Setup:   Stock on both, except I changed the 2010 cassette from the 11/25 to a 12/30. Added seat bags, 1800 lumen headlights, tail lights, Shimano A530 combo pedals, air pump, and auxilliary brake levers. Tires are Vittoria Rubino III 70x23c, or Bontrager H5 Ultimate hard case 700x38c, as needed.

Submitted by Vince a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is awesome. Solid feel and not jarring. Agile. Just rode my new bike on a 67 mile mtb course and was a blast. Stock parts are fine to race on. Sloping but longish top tube is perfect fit for folks with short legs and long torso like me.

Weaknesses:    I'm coming from Campy road set up and the 105 shifting takes some effort to remember, but it works great. Stopping power is a bit off, maybe new calipers at some point.

Bottom Line:
Awesome x Awesome.

Submitted by Aaron

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Frame, wheelset, 105 groupo

Weaknesses:    Brakes, brakes, brakes

Bottom Line:
Great bike, small upgrades make this a fantastic bike. Upgraded to Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes, new Cane Creek Headset and converted to Stans. Crankset is next to go, but this bike is great for race day or a ride with friends. Felt has made a great bike for the cost to make me a long time customer.

Submitted by IcySmooth52

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    Frame design with many modern features (BB30, tapered HT, hydroformed tubes, etc)
Wheels
Shimano 105 for this price point

Weaknesses:    Tektro brakes
FSA Omega crankset
Where flattened top tube is because it's a little too up front

Bottom Line:
This is for the new 2012 redesign (feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/Cyclo-X/Cy/F75X.aspx), not the bike pictured above.

I must say I'm impressed with this bikes handling. It can take a sharp lean-in turn (with the right type of tires) with confidence. I'd be willing to bet the tapered headtube has to do with this. The wheelset also impressed me despite being a house brand. Keeps true well, as nice as bearings get without going to cartridge, fairly light. And 105 is adequate for most unless you're on some high-tier racing. Some things are worthy of upgrades quickly however, like the Tektro brakes and crankset.