Fuji Bicycles Cross Cyclocross Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 32c Ritchey Speed Max Cross

Submitted by Martin S. a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    Good FSA componets.

Weaknesses:    Fuji constumer service and warranty.

Bottom Line:
Since we don't have the Fuji cross RC I will post on the fuji cross. I had this bike for 1.5 years I races Cross for only a season. At the end of the season I realized it had a crack in the non drive side chain stay. I talked to Fuji costumer services and they told they could not help me since it was over a year. They would sale me a frame for a EP price that was $500 for the frame. They would not stand behing they product and give me a replacement frame don't bike Fuji bikes it woul like to ride safe.

Favorite Ride:   Cross races

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cross bikes

Bike Setup:   Utegra and FSR

Submitted by Trevor

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, good groupo, and durable. Great for on-road and off-road. Paint (gold with metal flake).

Weaknesses:    Brakes are not good in dry conditions, let alone mud or snow. No rack mounts.

Bottom Line:
I bought my 1999 Fuji cross used, but in great shape. It is a steel frame bike with full Ultegra group. Aside from needing new brake pads and the shifters needing cleaned up, the bike has worked great for every thing I have wanted. I ride a lot of kansas gravel roads with big chunks of limestone rock, and this bike always feels undercontrol and rides very smooth (steel frame). It has a factory 39/53t crank which is a little large for more cyclocross bikes.

Switch to road tires, and I can keep up with most of my buddies on aluminum/carbon bikes. It is about the same weight as an aluminum Trek 1000 with 105s.

It would be nice if it had rack mounts, but it the frame looks smooth with out them.

The brakes are bad. The stock Shimano cantilevers are low-end and just dont work very well. I replaced the pads with some all weather pads and it helped. I am still no happy though, so I ordered some TRP cantilevers. Hope they will be better.

I greatly injoy riding this bike and have had no major issues.

Favorite Ride:   Local country roads

Purchased At:   Harleys Bike Shop Hu

Similar Products Used:   1983 Reighley Capri, 1987 Miyata One-Ten, 1993 Schwinn Traviler

Bike Setup:   1999 Fuji Cross steel, Ultegra 6500 group set (shifters, crank, cassette, hubs, BB, front and rear deraileurs), Mavic cxp 12 rims, Italia saddle, Time composite atac, Catseye lights, Profile stem and bars.

Submitted by Duran Valdez a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    Eyelets for front and rear racks/fenders. 2nd set of brake levers provide a lot of extra control when you don't have your hands in the hoods. Handlebars are raised which adds a lot to comfort over long distances--also, clearance for fatter tires makes the bike a lot more versatile. Quality 105 components used all around.

Weaknesses:    Break pads are weak. Replace with some Kool Stops and you'll see a major improvement. Tektro cantilever brakes also require a lot of finessing before they provide adequate stopping power. Stock wheel set is heavy. Stock seat is a throwaway.

Bottom Line:
Been really enjoying this bike since I bought a 2009 version in mint condition from a guy off Craigslist. The bike is designed for cross, but with some alterations it becomes a really great bike for light touring and commuting. I slapped some fenders on it, a rear rack,and swapped the double crank for a triple. Now it rides great in almost any condition. I'm looking forward to taking it down the CA coast this summer. If I ever had the choice between losing this bike and my Fuji Team I'd have to say that I'd give up the Fuji Team--my Fuji Comp could be 90% as good with the addition of some skinnies. My carbon road bike, however, could never do half as much as my Fuji Comp.

Favorite Ride:   Fuji Team

Brooks 17 Imperial Saddle
Giant carbon seatpost

Submitted by cluster1 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Strengths:    Durability, handling, gearing

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
Fuji Crosspro (2009) is an amazing bike. After riding if for 6 months (through the winter) I can sum it up thusly... all it does is work perfectly. I raced in a cyclocross in PA and it was rock solid. I ride towpaths and city/country roads, and my confidence is very high on this bike at speed, next to cars, on hills, turning, wherever.

Favorite Ride:   Fuji Crosspro

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Submitted by mattlreese a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
I actually have a 2009 bike but this site will not let me list my model past 2007.
I have very impressed with this bike, it is performing far better than I expected it would and at $900 I feel like I got a steal. You will not find a bike better than this anywhere at the sub $1000 price point. I waited until this bike went on sale for $900 (which it does often) and you get another 10% back to spend on other bike stuff at performance like clip in pedals, or a computer etc. This bike will even beat out many bikes in the 1000 – 1500 price range. If you are looking for a low cost bike that will perform like it is costs a lot more this is the bike. There are cheaper road bikes out there but none that are any good.

Setup:
I am not really a racer though I do compete sometimes in beginner races. I have this setup as a touring bike. I put some fatter durable tires and I plan to get a rear rack for some long distance rides. Eventually I do plan to cross with this bike, but I have not yet.

Pros:
1. 105 drive train including an ultegra rear detailer. The 105 is the best drive train out there when price vs. performance are considered. The ultegra and higher series perform the same but are lighter. The lower series will not shift as smoothly as the 105 series does.
2. Carbon front fork
3. While the bike is not super light it is not super heavy either
4. Lifetime tune ups at performance – I do most of my own work but I did take my bike in for a tune-up when winter started because I knew I would not be riding in a while. The guy had some free time and did it on the spot for me anyway, and he did a very thorough job.
Cons:
1. A lot of reviews claim the bottom bracket is crap. So far I have not had any issues at about 500 miles but it is something I am prepared to replace if it goes up. There not that expensive.

If you are looking into a new bike, this is one of the best entry/mid level bikes out there.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere

Purchased At:   Performance Bike in

Cinelli and Look Road, Cross, and SS/Fixie Frame & Complete Deals

Hi Kids, Look and Cinelli are both Shippable Brands. I took over a store 4-months ago with some overstock. Only way to move them is to move on, and restructure the product mix. [url=http://division-1-bicycles.myshopify.com/collections/sale]Closeouts – Division 1 Bicycles[/url]Read More »

First cross race of the season. No *pop* in my legs.

This is my third season of cx. I'm about 6 weeks into training for cx this year. I raced endurance XC all summer. I've not changed anything diet wise or training wise in the last few weeks. I haven't been sleeping a whole lot this week, though . If the race would have been a time trial effort, I ... Read More »

Cross Vegas pics

Shot some images at Cross Vegas, by no means a photog, enjoying shooting events more and more though. A lot of uploading challenges, Elite Mens and Womens shots in the FB Gallery. [url]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.798250943572178.1073741856.278396445557633&type=1[/url]Read More »

Steering issue on Cross Check

Hi Everyone, Been a while since I've been on here. Having an issue I can't figure out though. I have a Surly Cross Check I commute on. Lately I've noticed that when I turn, especially right, it feels like the bike wants to pull the front wheel straight. I have two other road bikes that don't feel ... Read More »

Most flat-resistant tubular 'cross tire?

Just got a good deal on a used cross bike with alloy tubular wheels. I'm not planning on racing, just want to ride on local trails. Flat resistance is high priority --- weight, performance, etc are secondary.Read More »