GT Bicycles Inc. GTR Type CX Cyclocross Bike

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Butted Aluminum frame cyclocross bike with SRAM Rival drivetrain and Easton cockpit and fork. Easton Vista SL wheelset. Tektro brakes and Truvativ Rouleur Crank round out this cyclocross bike and they top it off with an SDG saddle.

Submitted by mattgVT a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Rival, Kinesis Frame, Kore build kit (minus wheels)

Weaknesses:    Wheel set

Bottom Line:
Mine is actually an '09. Not much bad to say about this bike. Kinesis aluminum frame is very comfy (I would say more compliant than my steel Track bike, but that is stiff). Very capable cross machine, I've some light single track, lot's of commuting, and back road riding. My only complaint comes with the wheelset the bike came with, Kore Streamline. The rear wheel is garbage. Have seen the spoke loosen over time, multiple times after truing and tightening. Hub makes funny noises. No good. The rest of the bike is great, rival, and the rest of the kore build. Light weight, affordable cross racer. Oh and the frame beautiful for aluminum, not something I've said many times. The welds are ground and smooth, no paint, just polished, very slick looking bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Surly CrossCheck

Bike Setup:   rival
kore build kit
kore steamline wheels = garbage

Submitted by Miguelito a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2010

Strengths:    Sram Rival parts, cyclocross gearing, good overall specs

Weaknesses:    kore seat-post takes a little getting used to. Saddle a little uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
2009 bike looks awesome in chrome and black. Rival shifters and ders work great. Bike feels stiff, light, fast.

Favorite Ride:   G-ville to Alachua

Purchased At:   Performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez triple.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by mdenson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    Strong frame, good quality components, SRAM Rival.

Weaknesses:    Noisy ride, steering is a bit touchy, the SRAM drivetrain is a bit jerky sometimes.

Bottom Line:
Actually my bike is a 2009 model and I have only had it for just under 2 months, but neither of these were choices.

This bike is strong, and comfortable. I like the chrome finish, it' easy to keep clean and "goes" with everything. I ride mostly opn roads and surfaced trails, but need that opportunity to "explore" or shortcut at times - or just go down the trail (not mountain, just off road).

I am getting to really like the bike, but it has taken some tweaking. I have already had three sets of tires on it and have replaced the chain with a Shimano chain. Performance did that actually, because they had trouble getting it adjusted so that it wouldn't throw the chain when moving to the large front chainring. When adjusting the front derailer, they were having trouble getting the chain to track properly. Now, it works great.

I have had a hard time getting used to the SRAM Rival shifting, and it's still a mystery sometimes, but I'm getting better. Is feeld like when I get it to e second nature, it will be slick (I want my Ultegra). Seriously, it's me - not the SRAM.

All in all, I think this is a great bike for commuting, walking trail riding, road riding, and just riding. If I want to go fast, I ride my road bike, and if I want to go "off road" I ride my mountain bike - but if I didn't have them, I wouldn't hesitate to take this bike to either domain, although I'd probably have 3 sets of tires.

Great bike if you can get it for under $1,500.

Favorite Ride:   Road/Trail

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Own 2 other road bikes - Trek and Tommaso, one mountain bike - Klein, and one old cross bike - Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Have changed the tires to Vittoro 700x32, and changed the chain to Shimano, SRAM Rival w/carbon shifters.

Submitted by olderbiggerladnow a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Strengths:    Value! You can spend a lot more and not get this nice of bike. Or you can spend a lot more and get this nice of bike. Great frame with a super mix of proven components from Easton and Sram. For this money, other brands are equipped with Tiagra or maybe 105 and GT gives you Rival. I personally really like the Sram. The build quality on my frame is excellent and I really like the classic white paint and yellow graphics too. I've had more than a couple people ask about and compliment it.

Weaknesses:    I had multiple flats straight away. After I replaced the factory, wrinkled, poorly installed plastic rim strips, I've been flat free ever since. The only negative I’ve noticed is on dry pavement running Cinder X Panaracer tires I'm finding some fork flex under hard braking. Maybe a stiffer fork or I drop a lb or 3. Both maybe?

Bottom Line:
I have just under 500 miles on a new GT GTR Type CX cyclocross bike. Even now this bikes value to quality still makes me smile and feel like I got away with something. What a great deal. The GTR CX is a relatively light, fast, nice handling bike. I test rode a bunch of CX bikes at some great shops but for me, this GT's fit was instant comfortable. The Kinesis frame is stiff, responsive (although mine is size small) and yet I haven't felt punished after 30+ mile trail rides like very early Cannondale for example. For a little over a grand, GT won over based on the ride, quality and value.

Favorite Ride:   every ride

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   I rode these cross bikes. Bianchi CrossConcept, Cannondale, Kona Jake the Snake, Scott, Karate Monkey, Fuji Cross, a used Salsa (in rough condition but a very nice ride). A LeMond but I couldn't find my size to buy. I'll buy another LeMond when he comes back, but never another Trek product. The Jamis rode really nice and I tried but couldn't find an already built Gunnar X Hairs in my size to test.

Bike Setup:   Out of the box I’m very happy with the GT. The only changes I made were for fit and personal preference. I installed a slightly longer KORE stem and swapped the SDG FLY saddle to a Specialized Body Geometry. Also added a bottle cage and a Cateye wireless computer.

Submitted by crossracer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Strengths:    Fit and finish is absolutly perfect on this bike. As a 20 year bike mechanic i have seen my share or perfect bikes but this one was absolutly flawless out of the box. On the road the bike is very quick and responsive, the kenisis aluminum is both supple and stiff. The fork comes with a lot of spacers so tuning your height is very easy. The tectro brakes are as strong as my original pauls and will stop you plenty fast.
Oh and light, very light. One of the lightest cross bikes i have every ridden.

Weaknesses:    Well for one, there is no barrel adjuster for the rival front der, so it makes tuning the front shifting a very iffy thing. I am working on adapting a inline adjuster for this problem. The other issue was the lengh of cranks for the XL version. It came with 177.5mm lenght cranks which are way to long for me. Not a weakness per se, but there are no rack eyelets on this bike at all, zero, zip, nada. THis bike is for going fast, pure and simple.

Bottom Line:
Well first of all this is the 2008 cream colored model. It is full rival with the exception of the crankset and the brakes. THe rival is very nice for a cross setup with the under the handlebar routing. The ergos of the rival shifters are about as comfortable as i have ever had.
Since i cummute everywhere i plan on putting massive miles on this bike towing my bob trailer.

Favorite Ride:   anything involving a bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike