Ibex Bicycles X-Ray Race Cyclocross Bike

• Factory direct price: $999

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by TIM MORELLO a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    Great customer service from IBEX.
    Great components (Shimano 105, AVID).
    Handles great on descents.
    Climbs well (very little bottom bracket flex even in standing climbs while mashing the pedals)
    Comfortable seat.

Weaknesses:    The pedals had to go. (but only because I'm using it primarily on the road)

Bottom Line:
    I ordered the X-RAY Race from IBEX and received it in Japan 7 days later. This was mailed to an FPO (Service members take note) I had it out of the box and rolling in 20 minutes, and I'm only an average mechanic. IBEX supplied all the tools you needed to put it together. It even came with a pedal wrench and high quality multi-tool. I use it primarily as a training bike foor inclement weather and as a commuter. I wish I knew about IBEX years ago.

Purchased At:   IBEX

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by current207 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2007

Strengths:    everything very capable race rig.

Weaknesses:    cable stop on the rear is to close to the tire, not optimal for cantilever setup

Bottom Line:
    Great Value,same spec'd bike by the big names cost a lot more.

Favorite Ride:   Any cross race

Purchased At:   Ibex bikes

Similar Products Used:   Redline conquest, trek xo 1

Bike Setup:   Stock out of the box, changed wheelset to Mavic Kysrium es

Submitted by Alex Miya a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    great components

Weaknesses:    Really concerned with the toe rubbing on the front tire when peddling.

Bottom Line:
    GReat components, have only ridden a couple of times since I purchased it. Very concerned about the front tire rubbing up against my toes when trail riding, more than a ten degree turn of the handle bars+peddling=toes rub, and possible serious wreck.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by handsomebrianmn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    The service from IBEX is great - this was the first time buying a bike unseen, and I am happy with it. So happy that I bought another (full suspension) bike from them.
    Bang for the buck is great
    Carbon fork soaks up a lot of beating.
    Put slicks on this bike, and you'll be hanging with $1000+ bikes on the road

Weaknesses:    Unless you are comfortable assembling your own bike, this might not be for you

Bottom Line:
    I've been riding this bike for a little over a year, and am nothing but satisfied with it. My main use for it is not cyclocross though - I bought it mainly as a back-up road bike that I could take on gravel roads (my carbon fiber frame doesn't like them). This bike climbs great, since it has shorter cranks and smaller chainring than a standard road bike. Overall - a great deal, quality (midrange) components, a fantastic service

Favorite Ride:   Ibex X-Ray 5.5

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   kestrel 200sci - great bike, but have barely ridden it recently. I don't feel guilty beating up on the Ibex, and the fit of the Ibex is better for me as well.

Bike Setup:   I put slicks on this, and use it mainly on the road. The nice thing is I can still take it on hardpacked dirt trails - Great general purpose bike

Submitted by bcullins a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Strengths:    Light, good parts, handles well, better value than other 105 equipped bikes, frame is stiff enough for 180 lb + riders.

Weaknesses:    Bar is too narrow for riders who fit on a 56 or larger frame, stem should be longr (my opinion only), and the stock straddle cables and carrier that come with the Avid brakes are terrible (replace them with the 50 mm Salso carriers).

Bottom Line:
    Well designed, solid parts, came pre-assembled from IBEX. The bike is a great value for the price, handles well, and is reasonably light. The only things I changed from stock were the dalddle (I like my old one), the bar (to a 44), the stem (to a 120), and the straddle cable/carrier (throw the stock ones away!). I've raced 8 CX events on it this season and it is certainly a race worthy bike.

Favorite Ride:   Any cyclocross course