Kona Bicycle Co. Jake the Snake Cyclocross Bike

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

It is one of the most diverse cyclocross bikes ever. It can race, commute, train, tour or just plain ride. We've seen Jake The Snakes cross Africa, win cyclocross races and battle through downtown rain. This year, our classic Kona model takes on more of a racing aesthetic, sharing the same frame features and race-winning geometry as our Major Jake, as well as some bling-factor specs, like new Avid Shorty 6 brakes.

Submitted by muddyh2o a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    Versatility. Quality construction. Great do-it-all bike!

Weaknesses:    Brakes could be better I suppose but they are designed to clear muddy wheels and tires.

Bottom Line:
This is my second JTS and I use this bike for almost everything. It has great geometry for cross, commuting, and fireroads.

Favorite Ride:   F.A.T.S., Wilson Creek trails

Similar Products Used:   I had a 1999 JTS with many upgrades such as a complete Ultegra drivetrain and Velomax Circuit wheels.

Bike Setup:   Mavic MA2 wheels with Kenda Kross Supreme tires, Shimano 105 drivetrain, Shorty 4, Thomson and Ritchey stuff.

Submitted by Eric a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    Speed, comfort, sold construction

Weaknesses:    the stock seat sucks.

Bottom Line:
By far the best bike i've ever owned. I came to this bike from a hybrid Specialized that I used to commute and had some concerned about switch to a road style bike but this thing takes curbs, trails, and anything I throw at it better than my specialized crosstrail ever did.

Favorite Ride:   Kona Jake The Snake

Purchased At:   Protius Bikes MD

Similar Products Used:   Specialized tricross, Cannondale Cyclecross, Bianchi

Bike Setup:   Used as a commuter with mustered (i.e. lights, continental tour ride 700x35 semi-slicks, rear rack and panniers)

Submitted by Ryan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Strengths:    Aside the good things mentioned above, I've also found gear shifting to be silky smooth despite very little maintenance done.

Weaknesses:    Could use some lower gearing so you aren't always sprinting ahead of your friends on mountain bikes when taking hills on the trail. Purple and neon green paint...

Bottom Line:
I've been very pleased with the Jake - I don't use it that often, but it never lets me down.

As a cyclocross, I love the fact that I can do off-road trails, enter a fun bike race, or go long-distance touring all with one machine. The Jake does it all, and smoothly and quickly too.

As for the bike itself, I've most enjoyed the great acceleration and toughness of this bike.

Note that it can't do every trail though - for example I tried it out on an especially root-covered trail once and my back was aching for a day afterwards.

Purchased At:   Riverdale Cycle, Yuk

Similar Products Used:   test rode a Rocky Mountain Rail - no comparison, the Jake felt way better

Bike Setup:   I switch to slicks for road riding - with those one, you can keep up with your friends on their racing bikes.

Submitted by scottyucsb a Recreational Rider from Prairies, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    105 group, the little things (koski seat post and handlebar), frame, cranks and BB (ISIS splined, wow!).

Weaknesses:    maybe the softer pads, but they'll come in handy when it gets sloppy. It's pretty dry around here so they might be over kill. Tires? I'll probably switch to Michelin sprints in the fall, but there seem fine. Some paint is chipping off the front of the frame where the front brake cable contacts the steerer from time to time (small drops, bunny hops, etc.)

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, this bike can do it all, I love hitting the trails and then doing a road ride on the way home. I haven't gone back to my FS mountainbike yet. So far the Jake has handled everything I thrown at it, and it's fast. The component mix is great, 105 for the price I paid ($1300 CDN) is incredible). I think the cyclocross set up is a great way to get into the road scene for committed trail riders. The suggest retail price in canada is ridiculously low (I managed to get it for $1300 CDN), I guess the dollar really tanked since they set that one, kudos to Kona for sticking it out.

Purchased At:   LBS (CDN$$)

Similar Products Used:   testedTrek and Cannondale (similar prices with lower spec'd components; I hate deciding if I can afford a bike and then realizing I have to spend extra $$ for pedals, don't get me wrong I like getti

Bike Setup:   Stock with time pedals, sella italia seat.

Submitted by Dave M a Recreational Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Strengths:    Good frame design and components (for the $$).

Weaknesses:    Under bottom bracket r. deraileur cable routing.

Bottom Line:
Very solid bike, predictable handling, good value. This bike will take years of abuse and never let you down. Reasonably light when stripped down for racing, but you will want to put lighter wheels and tires on her.

Favorite Ride:   Surf City Cyclocross Series

Purchased At:   Revolution Bicycle R

Similar Products Used:   Custom steel cross frame.

Bike Setup:   I prefer indexed bar con shifters as they can sustain crashes better and are lighter - my preference

Fork for 2008 Jake the Snake

Anyone know the rake and crown to axle length needed? Found a nice deal for a frame and need to research a cheap carbon fork optionRead More »

Jake the snake vs. the crux

Hi..I own a crux, and love it. I have a ton of spare parts and would like to build another cx bike. Has anyone tried out both bikes, I'm interested if the geo is close, is one more lax than the other ?? ThxRead More »

Kona Jake The Snake

Here is my new Kona Jake the Snake. I really like the black and green color scheme. It works I was surpised at how smooth the 700X32 knobbie tires were. Sorry about the crummy picture.Read More »

caadx 5 vs jake the snake

Yep, still looking for a bike after BD sold out of the size I needed. I'm back to considering the the cannondale caadx5 and kona jake the snake. What's everyone opinions? Is one better than the other?Read More »

2011 Jake the Snake frame/fork weight?

Anybody know the weight of the 2011 Kona Jake the Snake frame and fork? I see them around on sale and am thinking about buying one, but wondering how it stacks up against other framesets I'm considering. [url=http://www.bikeman.com/KON-F11JS56.html]Bikeman Kona 2011 Jake the Snake Frameset, 56 ... Read More »