Kona Bicycle Co. Jake Cyclocross Bike

4.29/5 (14 Reviews)

As one of world's more adept bicycles, the Jake is able to ride everything from pothole-ridden sub-Saharan highways to gravel commuter paths to mud-riddled cross courses. The Jake sees a newfound splash of cherry upgrades in 2012: new internal rear brake cable routing, the ability to step up from a 9-speed to a 10-speed Tiagra, a new Shimano Tiagra/105 drivetrain, and the same tires as the Major Jake. All at a great price that keeps the wind feeling free as ever.

Submitted by jon

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Strengths:    easy to clean

Weaknesses:    Not a racer
Not a Mtb
Not a tourer

Bottom Line:
As a consumer of one, I found several flaws.
The Tyres supplied were of poor quality in relationship to ether stance of the usage the bike was designed for.
The seat was not comfortable after a 100kms, which reduced the overall impression that the bike was made for longer rides.
The bottom bracket started to break down after 980kms, which impaired the longativity of the rest of the drive train.
The stock bar & tape was average quality and did not inspire one to want to grab the bike and ride off into the sunset.

I can’t knock the frame and forks, the wheel builds were fine which they should be as a mass produced units.
It comes down to Kona to show they are in control of their product, if they wish to just flog off bikes and make maximum profits: this is done well
But If they wish customers to return and pay out a load of our hard earned credit, I could only advise there are bikes from rival companies who have the frames made in the same Taiwanese and put a better package together.
I hope not to offend anyone, but inform my personal ride result after 13,5000kms around west/east Europe..

Submitted by Reb

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth, comfortable ride on road and trail

Weaknesses:    a tad heavy

Bottom Line:
I have a 2010 model. For the price, this bike is terrific. The shop I bought it from actually recommended I go with higher end, non-stock tires and wheels. I suppose that's one reason I like the bike so much, considering what other reviewers have mentioned about the stock tires. I also changed the saddle. Mine is black and yellow, which is great where I live (Pittsburgh) Go Steelers!

Submitted by Lloyd Bray

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2012

Strengths:    Decent components, 22.6 lbs with cage, bottle and pedals, comfortable for short upper bodied riders, 1149 price tag, great off road, 3 rings up front, decent color, good value

Weaknesses:    Mud tires (for road), weight (could be lighter) paying for the Kona name....

Bottom Line:
I bought this as an entry into the world of road bikes. I also like trails and there is a lot of gravel around the Hat so I thought I'd try the xcross bike. I hate playing with flats and I thought this bike would be better for that problem. I'm primarily using this bike to commute and train on the highway. Supposedly this bike has a strong frame also (I weigh about 225) I guess we will find out. Once I put some k's on the bike I will do a follow up review, let you know how it's holding up.

Submitted by Ambrose99 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    Everything works smoothly

Bottom Line:
The original tires wore out quite quickly. I agree with another reviewer who says to get quality tires.

Favorite Ride:   North Shore Nelson, B.C.

Purchased At:   Gerick Nelson B.C.

Submitted by Luc Mercier a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Strengths:    Extremely versatile. Great for long and short distances, with or without load and can handle potholes, gravel and other places that road or touring bikes can't take.

Shifting is almost spotless. Comfortable and feels good. The 2009 red and white model looks great.

Weaknesses:    You need very good tires! Most people don't take the original tires and go for something more slic. If you do this, make sure you get very resistant more high-end tires. The Jake can take a beating, but low-end road tires can't. I threw out my first pair after 1000km and about 10 flat tires.

The 2010 model, although that shouldn't change anything, doesn't look very good with its greyish paint.

Bottom Line:
2009 Jake - 2000km. Bought it after researching for a long time. I was looking for something for (sometimes ruff) commuting but also for the occasionnal lond distance trip. I got exactly what I was looking for, for an undecent price.

I recently took it for its first long distance. Montreal - Ottawa in two 110km days, with full camping gear. It handled super smooth with a lot of weight.

I love this bike. It fits perfecly with "serious commuters" and for people who have versatile needs. What I wanted was a racing bike that could take a beating and load. The Jake is, considering its price, the best value out there for those needs.

Favorite Ride:   Jacques-Cartier bridge, Montreal

Purchased At:   Velodidacte, Montrea

Fork for 2008 Jake the Snake

Anyone know the rake and crown to axle length needed? Found a nice deal for a frame and need to research a cheap carbon fork optionRead More »

Jake the snake vs. the crux

Hi..I own a crux, and love it. I have a ton of spare parts and would like to build another cx bike. Has anyone tried out both bikes, I'm interested if the geo is close, is one more lax than the other ?? ThxRead More »

major jake geometry

Hey all, I am looking at a used major jake. I think it is a 2001. I am wondering if the geo has changed over the years? I can't find an old geometry chart for the 2001. ThanksRead More »

Kona Jake The Snake

Here is my new Kona Jake the Snake. I really like the black and green color scheme. It works I was surpised at how smooth the 700X32 knobbie tires were. Sorry about the crummy picture.Read More »

Bottom Bracket for Major Jake

I'd like to replace the bottom bracket on my 2009 Kona Major Jake. The FSA MegaExo was OEM on the bike. I think it has a 68mm shell. If I replace the B/B, I'll also look to replace the crankset and will look for cross gear - somewhere in the 46X36 range but I'm not that picky. Any suggestion ... Read More »