LeMond Bicycles Poprad Cyclocross Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 32c Bontrager Jones CX

Submitted by wyo-mig a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    Steel is for real ... inexpensive, lightweight and durable - oh did I mention comfort??

Bottom Line:
Custom Build - bought frame from shop employee that got it as a warranty replacement for another Trek owned brand frame failure - Lucky Me!! I've been wanting a Poprad for some time but didn't want the complete bike as I like to hand-pick components and was looking to build a nice lightweight steel CX bike. I thought about going custom but the LeMond geometry is perfect for me (52cm) and Reynolds 853 makes for a pretty nice frame plus the $$ I saved will go towards a trick wheelset soon. Great ride characteristics, steel rear end has enough flex to take the edge off of bumpy courses but transfer power to the pedals when you jump on them!

Favorite Ride:   All - glad to be riding!

Purchased At:   local

Similar Products Used:   Novara Element CX bike - Plain Jane 7075 frame w/ disk brakes, 1x9 drivetrain and ritchey bar/stem. Heavy and rigid in a bad way!

Bike Setup:   * LeMond Poprad - Custom Black w/ White Decals Paint (Warranty Replacement for other Trek licensed frame)
* Colnago 1" CX Fork
* King Devolution Head-Set
* Ritchey WCS Stem - White
* Ritchey WCS H-Bar - White (44)
* Double Black Bar Tape
* Syncros Carbon Fiber Seatpost
* Sella San Marco Concor Saddle - White
* Avid Shorty 6 Brakes
* 10 Speed Ultegra - Front Derailleur, Rear Derailleur, STI Shifters, Cassette, Chain
* FSA Carbon Compact Crankset 50-34
* Dura-Ace hubs laced to Matrix ISO 3 rims w/ double butted spokes and black allow nipples
* Panaracer Cross Blaster 700x31c Kevlar Tyres

Submitted by Andy C a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2007

Strengths:    Frame, Frame, and Oh, the Frame!! Just a smooth ride. Nice and soft. I guess it has been a while since i rode a steel frame.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is a bit uncomfortable. I am still shopping for a new one.

Bottom Line:
I found a brand new 2006 model on closeout at an LBS--drove straight over to purchase that night! Awesome value, and a very fun bike. Steel frame is plush compared to my Cannondale R5000 I was commuting with. I now choose the Poprad for commuting and weekend hop arounds. I like the extra inside brake levers. Wheels and frame can take the hits of bad roads, railroad track crossings, gravel trails, and gentle curb jumps. The bike has performed flawlessly and exceeded expectations for comfort. I have even taken it on some local dirt single track & fire trails without issue (aside from higer gearing).

Favorite Ride:   Commute Home

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I have never owned a Cyclocross bike, only street or mountain dedicated machines.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Scott Campbell a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    Set up for touring as well as cross. That’s great. No rim-wear with disk breaks. High Quality steel. Comfortable to ride. Exceptional off-road handling.

Weaknesses:    1. This bike retails for more than the comparably outfitted 2003 Lemond Road bikes built exclusively with Reynolds 853 steel. Both this frame and the old frames are high quality steels, but the older frames were much stiffer around the bottom bracket as tubes were ovalized, chain stay shapes were more refined, etc. Less attention to detail on this frame and obviously more cost savings to Lemond.
2. Very disappointing rear brake cable routing design. Riding gritty trails in rain, the cable housing over the bottom bracket clogs in a very short period of time and doesn’t allow the cable to release. What cross rider would choose this design?
3. This fork is less than satisfactory. I’ve replaced it once via warranty because either the crown was drilled incorrectly or the carbon was inserted incorrectly and, because of this, the fork was visibly misaligned (although still true at the dropouts and entering the headtube). There is also a lot of flex in this fork…way too much. Bontrager retails this fork for $300. For this price, the tolerances on this fork should be exceptional and the design should be more sophisticated so as to reduce flex.

Bottom Line:
The frame is not as refined as Lemond’s previous high-end steel frames. For the price of the bike it should be. Non-ovalized tubes result in a lot of bottom bracket sway, and cable routing problems indicate of a lack of practical design consideration. Poor tolerances and quality control problems on a fork whose design is not very great to begin with—the Bontrager Satellite Elite—need attention.

Favorite Ride:   Cheyenne Canyon Trails

Purchased At:   Old Town Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   2003 Lemond Zurich (a great bike)

Bike Setup:   stock w/ compact cranks

Submitted by cooper411 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth steel ride, but not too heavy. 105 gruppo (the new 105 really is almost as good as Ultegra now), cross specific 48/36 crank.

Weaknesses:    Must test ride since sizing is very different than other models I tested, for racing I will probably put on a faster wheel set.

Bottom Line:
Wanted a crossbike for bad weather training, pulling my kid's trailer (can't do that on my carbon racing bike) and a cross race or two in the fall. After testing the Specialized TriCross (2006 and 2006 Sports and Comps), Trek X01, Cannondale, Bianchi, Kona Jake the Snake, Cross Check, etc. I found the Poprad to be the smoothest riding bike and best parts mix for the money.

Favorite Ride:   Cherry Pie Hill, Mineral Wells, TX

Purchased At:   Richardson Bikemart

Bike Setup:   Specialized TriCross (2006 and 2006 Sports and Comps), Trek X01, Cannondale, Bianchi, Kona Jake the Snake, Cross Check

Submitted by eric a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    Faster & more comfortable than any road bike I tested. Reynolds steel frame is very comfortable & forgiving, so I can spend more hours on singletrack on this ride than my aluminum full suspension!

Weaknesses:    I'd race wheels lighter than Matrix Aurora's, but after all I've ridden them through, they still hold up! (hardly a disappointment.)

Bottom Line:
Poprad takes the pain, smiling thru the bumps & gravel & all! Full group of original parts (except tires & chain) still holding up after 150-400 mi/week for 6yrs. Great bike to commute to work, hit the trails, or climb mountains with.

Favorite Ride:   hwy9, summit rd, 84 to hwy1 to Santa Cruz

Purchased At:   Another Bike Shop, S

Similar Products Used:   I own 8 bikes, but Poprad definately gets more use than all the rest combined.

Bike Setup:   stock: shimano sora, matrix aurora, bontrager. changed cluster to 13-28 for hills.

2006 Lemond Poprad Fender bolts

Hello, I would like to mount fenders on my 2006 Poprad. Does anyone know the bolt length and size for the top seatstay bridge? It is a threaded insert and does not go all the way through the bridge. Also, what size and hardware do I need for the mounts at the dropouts? There is a threaded ... Read More »

Scored a fine Poprad - need geometry chart

Hi - I am finally going to try CX, and got a great '05 LeMond Poprad rim brake bike, size 56 I believe. I am looking to build a a set of Stan's tubeless and the wheelbuilder needs to know back axle width, 132, 135 or 142. I am having trouble finding much in the way of geometry numbers on these b ... Read More »

Lemond Poprad

Hi, I do not ride but was given a used Lemond Poprad by a friend who moved back to Europe. I am interested in selling the bike. Can someone tell me how I can locate the year, specs of this bike? ThxRead More »

Retrofitting Triple on '05 Poprad - Help!

Hey readers, I'm trying to put a Shimano Ultegra triple (26-39-52) on my '05 Lemond Poprad, which is currently fitted with a Shimano Ultegra double (39-53). There is just a hair's space between chainring and chainstay, so I believe I am going to need a longer bottom bracket. Yesterday I t ... Read More »

Embarking on tour, check my Poprad!

Thanks for entertaining this post! I will be touring for three months from northern New Mexico to Vancouver, BC (via Rockies, then cut west) and back to New Mexico (via west coast and then cut east) starting in late August. I've never toured extensively before, and I wanted to bounce some ideas ... Read More »