Leopard Cycles CX1 Cyclocross Bike

The Leopard CX1 cyclocross bike. Ridden and race proven by four time national champion Joachim Parbo on demanding UCI cyclocross courses in Europe and the US. Described by Cyclocross Magazine as “...a do-it-all machine that can tackle all terrain...” and “..one of the lightest ‘cross frames available...”. Tube-to-tube construction 12K weave finish Frame weight: 1100 grams (54cm top tube) 4.5 star stiffness and 5 star compliance.

Submitted by Tim Lydon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight.Stiff. Comfortable. Good handling. Durable finish.

Weaknesses:    Noticed some front-end chatter, but never in a race. Small main triangle might make it more difficult for some to shoulder the bike.

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Leopard CX1 frame with a club discount in November, 2011. After building it up, I won my first Masters 45 "A" cyclocross race; BASP Sierra Point Night Cross. This season has been even better, having won 4 races on my CX1 so far. The Leopard CX1 is great cyclocross bike for racers. The frame is lightweight and stiff. It handles well and is comfortable. The frame has a compact frame with a slightly sloping top-tube, which in combination with the oversize carbon-fiber tubing makes the main triangle a bit smaller than my previous race bike. I initially thought this would make it more difficult to get my elbow through when shouldering the bike for run-ups, but in practice it wasn't a big issue after all (I guess we don't have that many run-ups in our races). After a full year of racing use, the frame is still in great shape. It has a couple of small chips and had slightly bent derailleur hanger, which I straightened, but otherwise it is still in near-perfect condition.

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Lobular

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra 6700 Shifters & Rear Derailleur, Shimano CX70 Compact Crankset, Brakeset, Front Derailleur, Thompson Masterpiece Seatpost, Easton EA90 Stem, Easton EC90 SLX Carbon Handlebars, Shimano Ultegra 6700 Hubset with Mavic GP-4 Tubular Rims, Tufo Flexus Primus Cylocross Tubulars

Submitted by kiersta

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2012

Strengths:    Light frame, Longer wheelbase, No toe overlap, Efficient geometry

Bottom Line:
I borrowed a Leopard CX1 while my own bike was in the shop for repair. I couldn’t believe the difference! I had to get a Leopard, too! (And I did!) The Leopard CX1 is more responsive and more efficient than my old cross bike, and the geometry allows for awesome aggressive steering in the tight and twisty turns that most cross courses offer. On the CX1 I have the same confidence to take turns faster, and maneuver through technical sections with speed as if on my mountain bike. The longer wheelbase gives a comfortable (not cramped) cockpit and thankfully has no toe overlap. The lightness of the frame adds to the magic of this bike. I love this bike!

Submitted by Chris G

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    The frame is super light. The bike is stiff laterally, which makes it a good climber and sprinter. There is enough vertical compliance to help smooth out the bumpy courses. Customization: You get to pick the group, components, wheels and the paint you want. Customer service from Leopard is excellent!

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any so far.

Bottom Line:
This is my second season racing and training on the Leopard Cx1. The frame is incredibly light and responsive. The geometry works perfectly for me. The bottom bracket is lower than you might find on some Cx bikes. The lower bottom bracket works great on the California Cx courses I race on. The bike's geometry instantly made me a better bike handler. Steering is precise.

I'm a 185lb rider and a bit of a pedal masher. I find the Cx1 rewards hard riding with very snappy acceleration. The bike also has just enough vertical compliance to help smooth out the bumpy sections of the course, which helps save precious energy. I've had more than a few crashes on the Cx1 and haven't damaged the frame.

At about 1100gms for the frame, it's not to hard to spec a bike that weighs around 16lbs. Shouldering this bike for run-ups is a pleasure. The large top tube sits comfortably on your shoulder. Cable routing is along the top of the top tube.

My previous Cx bike was the Felt Fx1. The Leopard Cx1 was a substantial upgrade and has helped make me a better rider.

Similar Products Used:   Felt Fx1

Submitted by aaronf

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    I got this bike used from a friend who raced on it for a year. It has held up great. I was a little concerned getting a used frame from a small company but the bike is a pleasure to ride. Light weight, stiff and responsive. I switch over from an aluminum/carbon Kona Major Jake and what a difference. The tubing and geometry are ideal for my riding style.

I have recently been taking the bike out on 40 mile road/dirt rides when the roads are wet and I don't want to use my road bike. I love it. It climbs well on the paved roads and then is very responsive on long 10 mile dirt road descents. Best of both worlds!

I love to support a small company especially when they put out a great product and even better service.

Weaknesses:    Overall, I think the frames price point is a little high. I am not sure but I am told that they buy their frames from China. I have a hard time convincing my friends to jump on the bandwagon because of this. But… I can't complain about the bike and I see no weakness in the quality thus far.

Bottom Line:
Great bike and I would recommend it to a friend who is looking for a good all around cross bike.

Submitted by Karen brems a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2012

Strengths:    Weight and comfort. I came from a Scandium frame, and the Leopard is noticeably smoother over bumps, which saves precious energy in a race. It is also very light. My size Small frame with SRAM Red and Ritchey carbon wheels is under 16 lbs.

Weaknesses:    I would prefer a fork-mounted cable hanger to help with brake chatter. This bike requires a headset-mounted hanger. It also has a relatively long wheelbase and is probably not the quickest turning bike out there, but it has been adequate for all the courses I have raced on.

Bottom Line:
I have raced this bike for 3 seasons and I also like taking it out on the trails in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It is comfortable enough for a 4 hr. ride and still light and fast enough to race on.

Favorite Ride:   Dirt Alpine to Russian Ridge OSP in the Bay Area