Litespeed CX Cyclocross Bike

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The CX is the first true production cyclo-cross bike from Litespeed. 3/2.5 Litespeed titanium delivers durability and strength like no other cross frame material. Geometry developed from feedback out in the field.."Literally" Team Maxxis. No other cross bike has the experience and knowledge that went into the CX.

Submitted by vcnz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    I broke the rear derailleur hanger during a cyclocross race. The pulley of the rear derailleur got stuck due to the mud, the chain pulled up the derailleur and the hanger got broken
Litespeed didn't want to fix it under warranty, their customer service is horrible, and their lifetime warranty is fake

Bottom Line:
The frame is great, it has a very good balance in responsiveness, weight and confort.

Purchased At:   Litespeed official d

Submitted by twinpro a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2011

Weaknesses:    Warranty and customer service

Bottom Line:
The bike was built using a wild collection of parts by a bike store employee - Zipp 404s, Captain CX, Pro bar and stem, Specialized carbon seat and post, Dura Ace group. It looked kinda ugly but I liked it. In my first event, and only my third week of ownership the frame failed. The rear dropouts bent straight out on both sides. I contacted Litespeed and after sending some photos they said it is not a warrantable issue. They would repair it if I paid $459 plus shipping both ways.

Since the bike was only three weeks old my credit card insurance was going to cover the repair cost so I agreed - disappointed that I had to pay but happy it could be repaired.

During the disassembly of the bike I discovered that the seat post was stuck; I left it in the frame and asked the warranty claim department if they could remove it.

Fast forward four months and I still don't have my bike back - weeks later than the expected return date that Litespeed gave me.

When it finally arrives I look in the box to discover that they removed the seat post but didn't send it back to me. After another round of emails (you're not able to call the warranty department) I learned that their techs broke it and they would not be reimbursing me for it. They reason that since I asked their techs to remove it I was assuming the risk that they would destroy it. I say that their techs should have told me up front that if they break it it's my responsibility. That never happened. And they didn't bother to tell me it was destroyed - I had to ask why it wasn't returned.

The bike might be great but their customer service and so called lifetime warranty are non existent.

Purchased At:   Toronto Bicycle show

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace, Zipp 404, Pro bar and stem, Specialized saddle and post

Submitted by pablo1982 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight. Robust. Comfy. Customisable. Lifetime frame warrenty. Build quality

Weaknesses:    Not for extremes of riding but a great all rounder.

Bottom Line:
For road cycling alll you have to do is pop road tyres on, for offroad: same just change tyres. This is a great all rounder!

Favorite Ride:   country lane

Purchased At:   fatbirds

Similar Products Used:   Nil.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, ksyrium, alpha-q and brooks.

Submitted by PA MTNBKR a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    LIGHT WT

Bottom Line:
GREAT YEAR ROUND COMMUTER ALL WEATHER

Favorite Ride:   CLASSIC CROSS

Purchased At:   PEDALPUSHER

Shimano CX triple?

I found a photo of the 2014 Salsa Vaya 2 from the QBP dealer camp, which now has Shimano 105 components instead of the Apex on the 2013 model. The crankset appears to be Shimano CX, but instead of the cyclocross 46-36 compact double, it is a triple. I cannot find this on the Shimano site or anywhere ... Read More »

Road tyres on wide CX wheels

I have a set of XC carbon rims, they are 21mm inside diameter. It looks like the narrowest tyres I should be using are 32c ? Is there any lightish 32c road tyres that I could fit to these rather than running trekking/commuter tyres ? They have a 70psi max rating so that's where I am a bit stuc ... Read More »

Can CX Bike replace a Mountain Bike?

Hi All, I have really enjoyed my time this past year getting started on road but i'm wondering in terms of CX bikes, I don't do downhill biking but do typical single track not terribly difficult (no jumps) and was wondering if CX bike can replace a mountain bike. The other reason I ask is beca ... Read More »

Custom Steel CX Choices

I'm planning to order a custom steel CX frame set next Feb, but am overwhelmed by the choices. Geometry must be custom. I'm a notoriously indecisive decision maker, particularly when something long term or pricey is at hand....both of which involve this decision. I'm currently considering Shamr ... Read More »

CX-RAY spoke Question

Hi all, If we are talking about a 28/32 spoke build, do the CX-RAY spokes make for a stiffer or more flexy wheel than the traditional double butted spokes? Also, besides the low weight of these spokes, any other advantage to going with these spokes over the traditional round spokes from a wheel ... Read More »