Lynskey Performance Designs Cooper CX Cyclocross Bike

4.97/5 (31 Reviews)

The Cooper CX was designed for the rider looking for a multi-use frame that can handle cyclocross racing and pull double duty as a solid commuter. Introduced as a disc specific model in 2011, this is the perfect do it all winter bike. The 3AL/2.5V titanium tubeset has a large diameter bi-axially ovalized downtube and top tube cable routing to keep mud out of the drivetrain. The rear end retains rack and fender mounts and S-bend seat and chainstays that give clearance for 700x38c tires. With six sizes to choose from, there is a Cooper CX for nearly everyone.

For the long gravel grinders, the daily commute or the weekend cross series, the Cooper CX will soon be the weapon of choice that you keep going to more times than not. Built with adventure in mind, let the Cooper CX take you some place off the beaten path and back again.

Submitted by Duran Valdez a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2015

Strengths:    Durable, versatile, relatively light weight. Has eyelets for fenders and clearance for 700x38 tires. Hydraulic brakes are powerful and don't require much maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Personally, I don't care for the satin finish and wish I had opted for the industrial mill

Bottom Line:
After my last bike was destroyed by an oncoming car I was ready to replace it with a true do-it-all bike: something I could commute to work with, take for fast-paced fun rides on the weekend, and possibly even do some long distance touring with.

During the 4 days I spent on my back recuperating from the accident I spent hour after hour considering brands, everything from Salsa, to Litespeed, to Kona, before deciding on a Lynskey. The reviews for every model of Lysnkey I could find were overwhelmingly positive.

I ordered the Urbanskey, which is based off the Cooper CX frame, and am really loving the quality and build kit. It's equipped with a Sram Force goupset, hydraulic disc brakes, and I swapped the saddle for a cambium C17. The bike weighs about 21lbs, which is awesome considering how versatile the bike is. I put on some 700x35 Bon Jon Pass tires (tubeless, of course) and now I have a great cushy ride that can still really rip when I stand up and crank hard on the pedals.

The customer service reps at Lynskey were a bit of a mixed-bag. On one hand it took them forever to respond to some of my emails, but on the other hand they were really accommodating of some of my build tweaks. For example, on request they set-up my bike brakes moto-style, left the steerer tube uncut, and swapped the handlebars from FSA Compacts to Salsa Cowbells (my favorite bars). They even swapped the stock 34-50 compact crank with a 36-46 cross crankset weeks after I had put in my order.

I've put about 300 miles on the bike so far and in that time the bike has been fun as hell to ride. It feels light and springy and when I take off my commuting bike bag (a Rivendell Medium Sackville Sack) it feels like I have a racing bike ... a racing bike that can eat up fire roads and gravel trails. The hydraulic brakes are powerful with good modulation. With a light squeeze I can stop much more quickly than with rim brakes--I definitely see this as a huge improvement. The only problem I've had is with the right shifter--the paddle kept sticking when I downshifted until I adjusted it with a multi-tool. It was an easy fix, but I've heard plenty of people online complaining about Sram shifters sticking and figure the solution might not be well-known.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. My only regret is that I should have splurged on the industrial finish. The satin finish is muted--definitely makes the bike seem ordinary (I like to think bike thieves would have less interest in it) but I realize now the industrial finish is more my style. In the future I hope Lysnskey updates their website with more photos that really show off the difference in finishes.

Similar Products Used:   Chinese Ti Cyclocross Frame w/Sram Rival
Soma Double Cross DC
Surly Cross Check
VO Campeur
VO Randonneur

Submitted by Philippe

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2015

Strengths:    Beautifull ride, comfortable, can do everything bike

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought a frameset at Chainreaction and assembled the bike myself : Utlegra 6703 groupset, hydraulic brakes from Trickstuff, Fulcrum Red Passion wheelset, Hutchinson Sector Tubeless tires. So far, the best bike I had : goes fast up- and downhill on and off the road, perfect transfer of power, comfortable, sporty .... I planned to use it as my commuter bike but it ended up being my commuter, travel, cyclocross and race bike - all in one.

Favorite Ride:   when it goes uphill

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Ultimate

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6703, Specialites TA crankset, Trickstuff's Doppelmoppel hydraulic converter, Trickstuff's Cleg brake calipers and discs, Fulcrum Red Passion wheelset, Richtey fork, stem and Handelbar, PMP seatpost

Submitted by Daniel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2015

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, excellent build quality and beautiful

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I bought a Cooper CMT, which is essentially a commuter build of the CX, with an Ultegra groupset and disk brakes. I ride it around NY City but will also take it into the mountains on dirt roads and more forgiving trails. I wanted a comfortable ride, good on bumpy roads for commuting but also nice for weekend rides in the mountains. I also wanted something light since I'm carrying it in and out of a storage room and on the subway with my kids and their bikes. I absolutely love it so far--noticeably more comfortable than my prior aluminum frame on uneven pavement and really responsive. For riding in the city I like that the look is more low-key, but still beautiful.

Before buying I had a few questions and Michael Ledford and others at Lynskey were very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. I ordered the bike from Lynskey and it shipped next day, and arrived a few days after that. The bike was very nicely packed and riding beautifully the following day without any meaningful adjustments.

Favorite Ride:   VT or Manhattan/Queens/Triboro Bridge

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback

Bike Setup:   Ultegra groupset
Mechanical disk brakes

Submitted by N. Estrada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2015

Strengths:    All-around tank. Small roots, wrist-size roots, ruts, snow, muds, gravel, sand, blacktop, it goes anywhere you point the handlebar.
As long as you keep the rubbers down on the ground, it's indestructable.
I have mine for 3 years now. 2 Almanzos, 2 Barry-Roubaix, 2 Gravel Grovels, 1 Horribly Hilly Hundred, 1 Gravel Metric, occasional Palos trails, even a couple Ragbrai's, and tens of loong and short, easy and brutal rides and the bike still looks handsome.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Easy to clean. dish soap and water, dry with cloth, and a light coat of WD40, fresh again.

Submitted by Giles a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2015

Strengths:    Quality of build
Riding experience

Bottom Line:
Ordered the bike online from Lynskey so not really expecting a super fast delivery time from reading all the previous reviews but the bike was shipped in four weeks and I recieved it in five weeks. Not bad considering I am in Australia. Only been riding the bike for about a month so cannot really comment on the durability yet (but then who can). Well built. Everything just works. SRAM groupset integrated well. Nice smooth ride (28cc tires). Only problem is I want another as my commuting bike.

Favorite Ride:   Royal national park Sydney