Lynskey Performance Designs Cooper CX Cyclocross Bike

4.93/5 (56 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Cooper CX was designed for the rider looking for a multi-use frame that can handle cyclocross racing and pull double duty as a solid commuter. Introduced as a disc specific model in 2011, this is the perfect do it all winter bike. The 3AL/2.5V titanium tubeset has a large diameter bi-axially ovalized downtube and top tube cable routing to keep mud out of the drivetrain. The rear end retains rack and fender mounts and S-bend seat and chainstays that give clearance for 700x38c tires. With six sizes to choose from, there is a Cooper CX for nearly everyone.

For the long gravel grinders, the daily commute or the weekend cross series, the Cooper CX will soon be the weapon of choice that you keep going to more times than not. Built with adventure in mind, let the Cooper CX take you some place off the beaten path and back again.

Submitted by ch_cx @ JakID

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2013

Strengths:    The Brand, geometry, customer service

Weaknesses:    can't think of one

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd Lynskey and won't look elsewhere!
Thanks to Jack and Don, I got my custom finish CX frame with carbon fork and saddle, later built with rival groupo. From my experience with the older pro26 and pro650, I thought it's gonna be a great ride. But I was wrong, it was FAR BEYOND that..it's do-it-all bike. With Stans' Iron cross wheels, this cyclo beast really finds its home in gravel and single track. The handling is superb over the roots, mud and berms.. and with more relax geometry than procross, it makes long ride seems enjoyable. With custom carbon wheels, it goes flat out on the tarmac and climbs up 15%+ hill with ease..it's not great for sprinting though. I use compact chain ring with 11-28 setup. I rode it for nearly 500miles now during weekends in the past 2 months.. you just won't stop riding it. So, if you're still looking, this is the one.

Purchased At:   Lynskey Performance

Bike Setup:   Lynskey carbon fork, SRAM Rival groupo, 3T carbon dropbar stem seatpost, CKing headset, BB7 road SL brakes, stans iron cross rims with challenge grufo tyre 32", custom carbon disc rims with schwalbe marathon racer 28".

Submitted by Super E

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    The ride is unbelievable, geometry is spot-on for a do-everything bike, USA made, excellent support.

Weaknesses:    Not a real weakness, but I would like to see more rear tire clearance so that this bike could use larger tires for gravel.

Bottom Line:
The purchase of this Cooper CX frame and fork came a few weeks after receiving a Lynskey mountain bike frame (29Pro). I was so impressed with the ride and performance of the mountain bike that I spontaneously had a strong urge to buy a cyclocross frame...so I did. This is a short term review since I've only had the bike for a month, I will follow in the future with long use reviews.

The Cooper CX frame has not dissappointed me. In fact I am totally awe-struck by its performance. I was expecting a bit less of a racey, fast bike since it was not the CXPro model and promoted as more of an all-around bike that seemed suited to commuters, light touring, and light gravel rides. However my preconceived notions surrounding this frame were all wrong. I find that the Cooper CX rails tight corners with amazing balance (which means both front and rear traction a higher speeds to me) and it flat out hauls butt when you put some muscle to the pedals. Forward momentum is fast and with ease. The disc brakes are the only way to go in my opinion anymore since I can now go into corners and obstacles much hotter than ever before. I also do a lot of gravel road riding and have found that this bike is at home on the gravel, lets just say that it flat out flys. I have started using this bike on the road and again can not say enough about the ride and speed I can maintain.

This bike is so good that I have sold off 3-other cyclocross frames and a gravel specific bike since I have no use for them anymore.

The price of this frame is a bit high for some people to justify, but it is totally worth the investment to have a bike the does what this bike can do and ride as well as it does. I will buy another Lynskey in a heartbeat if anything ever happens to this one.

--Eric Kopczynski

Purchased At:   Lynskey Performance

Similar Products Used:   None that would really compare so high, but have owned and sold: Gunnar Crosshairs, Raleigh SSCX, Blue Competition CX, All City Nature Boy, On-One Dirty Disco.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Carbon fork, King Headset, Salsa Bell Lap bars, RetroShift shifter/brake levers, Avid bb7 disc brakes, and lots of nothing special and room for plenty of future upgrades.

Submitted by Ed Kramer

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2013

Strengths:    A well engineered and executed frame. Frame geometry provides greater responsiveness with a slightly lower bottom bracket and shorter wheelbase than my present X-bike and yet remains rugged and stable. An absolutely enjoyable and confident ride on and off the road

Weaknesses:    Titanium isn't cheap, and I thought about going with steel or even carbon for a bike that will be required to take abuse. I keep my frames a long time and figured even though the initial cost was high, it will prove to be a good investment.

Bottom Line:
Dealing with Lynskey has been a pleasure. I assembled my own bike with a frame and parts package (CMT). Everything was carefully packed and complete. The staff (Jack Kopeski) was willing to talk and provide as much assistance as I needed .The nature of this bike (light,rugged and responsive) will allow it to be used as a commuter, gravel grinder and winter trainer. I ride a lot in winter and you can't avoid salt and corrosion. I just don't have to worry about that anymore! Come Spring, I might not be so ready to get back on my road specific bike.

Submitted by Gary Raven a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2013

Strengths:    Well-built, light, responsive, and bulletproof- not to mention eye-catching.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found so far

Bottom Line:
I had my Cooper CX built with a SRAM MTB gruppo and a flat bar, after a few medical issues forced me away from riding on drop bars. I couldn't be happier with this bike, and am a 4-season commuter in the Pacific Northwest. The bike is sure-footed and responsive, and the BB7's have awesome stopping power. I run 32's on it (Gatorskins in the summer and Marathons in the winter), with full fendors and a rear rack. I haul alot of gear, in all weather, and this bike is more than up to the task. It's also a blast to strip off the fenders, racks and lights and take it for long weekend rides- that's when you really experience the pleasure of this fine machine.
I got mine with the Chromo fork, but wish I'd gone with carbon in hindsight. There's a huge weight saving to be gained in doing so, and I know I'll ultimately do the retrofit.
I heartily recommend this bike to everyone who wants a bulletproof, responsive and fast ride- for all climates and conditions.