Lynskey Performance Designs Cooper CX Cyclocross Bike

4.96/5 (26 Reviews)

The Cooper CX was designed for the rider looking for a multi-use frame that can handle cyclocross racing and pull double duty as a solid commuter. Introduced as a disc specific model in 2011, this is the perfect do it all winter bike. The 3AL/2.5V titanium tubeset has a large diameter bi-axially ovalized downtube and top tube cable routing to keep mud out of the drivetrain. The rear end retains rack and fender mounts and S-bend seat and chainstays that give clearance for 700x38c tires. With six sizes to choose from, there is a Cooper CX for nearly everyone.

For the long gravel grinders, the daily commute or the weekend cross series, the Cooper CX will soon be the weapon of choice that you keep going to more times than not. Built with adventure in mind, let the Cooper CX take you some place off the beaten path and back again.

Submitted by Joe Haskell a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2014

Strengths:    I recieved my 2014 Cooper CX in early November. I love this bike. It has a smooth ride, the componentry is of good quality and appears to be pretty bomb proof so far. In short I really like the bike and have been riding the crap out of it since it showed up at my door. I also have nothing but good things to say about the the folks at Lynskey, They've made sure the sizing was correct and pointed me in the right direction as far putting me on the Cooper CX. When the Bike was delivered it was well put together and the packaging was excellent, putting the bike the rest of the way together was also a snap. I like the bike and the experience with the folks at Lynskey enough to buy a 2015 Comutesky for my wife and I think that says a lot about the product and the folks that sell it.

Weaknesses:    It looks like I have the same gripe that everyone else does and that is on the estimation of delivery and shipping date. I like everyone else wants to know approximately when the bike is going to show up.

Bottom Line:
The bike is awesome, the folks at Lynskey are knowledgeable and personable. Yes they are awesome too. Yeah, I had to wait for my bike, but it was worth the wait. Only glitch is that I wasn't told I had to wait for the bike.

Purchased At:   Lynskey Website.

Bike Setup:   2014 Cooper CX with Ultegra Stan's Iron Cross wheels and Avid Disk Breaks

Submitted by BCSaltchucker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2014

Strengths:    The comfort and response to power is excellent

Weaknesses:    no weakness with this frame at all

Bottom Line:
My first Ti bike, after having maybe 15 steel and Al bikes. Bought it mainly to be a winter bike, gravel trails bike and singletracker. I have had it 2 years now.

Tried the bike on our trails here, but of course they are too technical for a Cx bike, so she remains as my main road bike now. It would be a good singletracker in other parts of the continent, however.

I built her to be tough, not light. Steel fork, 37mm heavy Touring Plus tires, big fenders, Moots rack, Turbomatic ti saddle. Lights. Adds up to a hefty 32 lbs now, lol! But that does not impact the bike's speed on level ground, and comfort is great everywhere. Just good thing I also have an S-works Tarmac for nice dry summer days. Did not like the 20sp Doubletap Rival group on it so I installed my 12 year old 105 triple group (Rival went on my Tarmac). Disappointed with the BB7, esp the rear, so I put on a TRP HyRd on the rear, which is a great brake but also heavy.

This bike also inspired me to buy a Pro26 frame from Lynskey (at steal price of 1k). Also comfy and fast. Comes in lighter than my Cooper, LOL.

I can see this bike in a lot of roles. Build it light and use for Cx racing. Put thin roadie wheels are it becomes a club road ride bike, if not perhaps a road racer (maybe not a criterium). Build heavy like mine and ride rough roads. Load with racks and bags and flags and tour the world.

Purchased At:   oem

Submitted by Ryan Stinson a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2014

Strengths:    - High quality bike
- Exceptionally comfortable ride
- Responsive sales/customer support staff

Weaknesses:    - Opportunities for improvement in estimating delivery date

Bottom Line:
I received the Cooper CMT after 5 weeks. That's not too long to wait, but both the website and the sales staff initially said that it should come in after about 2 weeks. With that said, I had great experiences with the sales and customer support staff. When I called or emailed, everyone was very prompt, pleasant and helpful.

Once I received it, I was immediately impressed by how fantastic the bike is! The bike is incredibly light for a commuter bike (much lighter than my Cannondale Synapse) but also incredibly smooth and controlled. I love being on the bike. The bumps, holes, and seams in my urban commute disappeared under the Cooper. I have an 18 mile round trip commute, and the ride on the Cooper is immeasurably more comfortable than it has been on others.

A couple notes for online ordering newbies (there's no LBS that carries Lynskeys near me):
- I purchased the Large with the Ultegra package. I'm 6'0" and the Large fits exactly (no room for error). With a 32" inseam, the stand over is what I wanted, but may be a bit snug for others. The 32mm tires raise the top tube a little bit higher than I expected. The Large with the 32mm tubeless tires puts the top tube of the frame just a smidge higher than a 56 cm frame with regular 23-25cm tires.

- I got the matte satin finish of the Cooper CMT. If I could go back, I would get the industrial mill finish instead. It was hard for me to imagine the appearance of the finish, using the cropped pictures on the website.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Synapse 7 (Sora)

Bike Setup:   Cooper: Ultegra 6800 package w/ Stan's tubeless wheels and tires.

Submitted by pone a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2014

Strengths:    well-made frame, does what it says on the label.

Weaknesses:    let Lynskey build the frame, let someone else build the bike.

Bottom Line:
the cx makes for a durable allrounder with a relaxed geometry and fairly comfy titanium frame. the frame itself isn't particularly light weight but construction is clean and solid. it won't corrode and there's no paint to scratch. i bought a complete, assembled bike direct from Lynskey and it was a few months late on promised delivery. i had to strip the decals off because the way it had been packed for shipping screwed them up. Lynskey sent new decals without issue. my impression is that they're better at building frames than completing a build to fit. i got some push-back when i asked them to make good on their stated policy to switch out components that didn't fit me well (i submitted all my measurements with the order and made a point of speaking on the phone about fit). they sent me a 420mm long seat post, just ridiculously long for a medium frame that i just barely stand over. ok, it wasn't a big deal to cut it down . . . . the crank length on the other hand was more of an issue.

just my opinion, but if i had it to do over i'd still get the frame. i love the bike. but i'd either pay someone else to build it up and advise on fit, or do it myself.

again, not particularly light or stiff, but that's not why you'd buy this bike. sometimes i wish it were a little more responsive when i stand up and crank, but the construction, geometry and material favor stability and comfort.

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Bike Setup:   steel lynskey fork, rival drive components, velocity a23/sram x9 wheels, avid bb7 brakes

Submitted by Tony Gardiner

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2014

Strengths:    Perfect all rounder.

Weaknesses:    None - as far as i am aware.

Bottom Line:
I am very proud of my Lynskey, and also the guys at Mosquito Bikes in London who carried out the bike fit and specification. They partner up well with Lynskey offering great advice.

My Lynskey Cooper CX Disc is finished...BB-7 Road Lever Actuation

I just finished the build. Here are some pics. I am having set-up issues with the BB7s. I can't get them to clamp down enough without pre-setting them really close to the pads- so close that the discs to rub the pads during free spinning. What am I doing wrong? I need to put a longer casing on ... Read More »

New Lynskey Cooper CX disc with S&S

Finally here. Doing a slow build. Got Chorus 10 alloy that ill be hanging on her, but really want to save that for my next lugged steel frame. But I'll use it since its the only group I have ready to roll. Waiting on a set of HS spacers in the Rasta colors. Doing brake bolts in Rasta too. [ATTACH= ... Read More »

Lynskey Cooper CX fit

So I decided to get me a Cooper CX (2011) but am kind of stuck at choosing between two frame sizes, M or ML (55 and 56 effective top tube lengths). I used the Competitive Cyclist calculator, and talked with the folks at Lynskey. My inseam is 87cm / 34.3", height 179cm / 5'10.5" and with that and ... Read More »

Lynskey Cooper CX?

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of getting one as an around-town and rain/snow bike with studded tires. I'm also a bit concerned about the steep seat angle at 73.8. I generally ride bikes with no more than 73 - I guess that I could use a layback seatpost. Thoughts? Thank ... Read More »

cooper cx