Lynskey Performance Designs Cooper CX Cyclocross Bike

4.97/5 (34 Reviews)

The Cooper CX was designed for the rider looking for a multi-use frame that can handle cyclocross racing and pull double duty as a solid commuter. Introduced as a disc specific model in 2011, this is the perfect do it all winter bike. The 3AL/2.5V titanium tubeset has a large diameter bi-axially ovalized downtube and top tube cable routing to keep mud out of the drivetrain. The rear end retains rack and fender mounts and S-bend seat and chainstays that give clearance for 700x38c tires. With six sizes to choose from, there is a Cooper CX for nearly everyone.

For the long gravel grinders, the daily commute or the weekend cross series, the Cooper CX will soon be the weapon of choice that you keep going to more times than not. Built with adventure in mind, let the Cooper CX take you some place off the beaten path and back again.

Submitted by Thomas Egan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2017

Strengths:    Braze-ons for rack and fenders. Wide clearance easily accommodates 38mm tires, perhaps even a little wider.

Weaknesses:    A little flexible in the rear triangle

Bottom Line:
This is a long-term review. I purchased my Cooper CX direct from Lynskey in November 2011 as a frame & fork deal with a Wound-Up carbon disc fork, Cane Creek 110 headset, and S&S Couplers built into the frame. It was the first version of this frame with disc brakes as an option, and Don Lynskey just happened to have one un-built tubeset for my size into which he could fit the couplers as a semi-custom option. I finished the build at home with an Ultegra 6703 drivetrain and Avid BB7-SL mechanical disc brakes. For wheels it was then Psimet custom built wheels (A23 hoops/White Industries Mi6 disc hubs). Current setup is much the same, save for a new wheelset (Velocity Aileron rims/W.I. XMR hubs) for an eventual upgrade to 11-speed & hydraulic brakes. The finish is industrial mill with etched graphics.

Initial ride impression is s that the frame is just a little too flexible in the rear triangle for something that was billed as a race bike. In my situation this is a non-issue because a) I ride with a rear rack which stiffens up the ride, and b) I appreciate the dampening effect anyway on loaded adventure/camping trips.

I chose this frame to build the ultimate go-anywhere and do-anything adventure bike. Century group rides, fire roads & horse trails, days-long camping trips, the MTB pump track, pulling my German Shepherd in her Doggy-Go trailer, and hauling a bag of groceries and clothes for work. In 6 years it is yet to disappoint. And while all the guys I ride with are now on their 3rd or 4th new ride with the latest tech and hazari, my same old-same old keeps on truckin’. When my shifters finally wear out I’ll know it’s finally time for an upgrade, but you can bet that I’ll be building it on this same frame.

Purchased At:   Factory direct

Similar Products Used:   Not similar per se, but I moved to this frame from a Surly Long Haul Trucker

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra 6703 (3x10), Avid BB-7 brakes, custom wheels, 3T bars & stem, Syntace Hi-Flex seat post

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2017

Strengths:    Beautifully made frame. English threaded bottom bracket making it easy to service. Smooth. Good deals on the frames at the moment (in the UK at least)

Weaknesses:    Using it as an adventure bike, routing the front mech down the seat tube and around a little pulley is a pain.

Bottom Line:
I swapped an alloy cross bike for this to use as my only bike. I use it as a commuter and it's great. Eats the bumps where the alloy bike felt them. I've only ridden it a handful of times and I find the handling a little less sharp than my cross bike but I'm sure I'll get used to that. Planning to put 28mm tyres on in the summer and use it for more road rides.

Submitted by Blake Emett a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2016

Strengths:    Versatility and durability.

Weaknesses:    This bike opens up the world to so many possibilities and you only have one lifetime to pursue them all.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike as a tourer, commuter, road and single tracker. I love that I can do them all comfortably with the same frame. I've had this bike for a year and a half and am happy with my purchase. I live in Salt Lake City and use it to commute to and from work daily all year round. The bike allows me to throw on road tires and cruise up Big Cottonwood Canyon or throw on cross tires and drop down Bobsled off the Bonneville Shoreline Trail for lunch. Whatever the task, you can do it with this bike. My next adventure is a tour from Salt Lake City to Zion National Park.

Submitted by Duran Valdez a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2015

Strengths:    Durable, versatile, relatively light weight. Has eyelets for fenders and clearance for 700x38 tires. Hydraulic brakes are powerful and don't require much maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Personally, I don't care for the satin finish and wish I had opted for the industrial mill

Bottom Line:
After my last bike was destroyed by an oncoming car I was ready to replace it with a true do-it-all bike: something I could commute to work with, take for fast-paced fun rides on the weekend, and possibly even do some long distance touring with.

During the 4 days I spent on my back recuperating from the accident I spent hour after hour considering brands, everything from Salsa, to Litespeed, to Kona, before deciding on a Lynskey. The reviews for every model of Lysnkey I could find were overwhelmingly positive.

I ordered the Urbanskey, which is based off the Cooper CX frame, and am really loving the quality and build kit. It's equipped with a Sram Force goupset, hydraulic disc brakes, and I swapped the saddle for a cambium C17. The bike weighs about 21lbs, which is awesome considering how versatile the bike is. I put on some 700x35 Bon Jon Pass tires (tubeless, of course) and now I have a great cushy ride that can still really rip when I stand up and crank hard on the pedals.

The customer service reps at Lynskey were a bit of a mixed-bag. On one hand it took them forever to respond to some of my emails, but on the other hand they were really accommodating of some of my build tweaks. For example, on request they set-up my bike brakes moto-style, left the steerer tube uncut, and swapped the handlebars from FSA Compacts to Salsa Cowbells (my favorite bars). They even swapped the stock 34-50 compact crank with a 36-46 cross crankset weeks after I had put in my order.

I've put about 300 miles on the bike so far and in that time the bike has been fun as hell to ride. It feels light and springy and when I take off my commuting bike bag (a Rivendell Medium Sackville Sack) it feels like I have a racing bike ... a racing bike that can eat up fire roads and gravel trails. The hydraulic brakes are powerful with good modulation. With a light squeeze I can stop much more quickly than with rim brakes--I definitely see this as a huge improvement. The only problem I've had is with the right shifter--the paddle kept sticking when I downshifted until I adjusted it with a multi-tool. It was an easy fix, but I've heard plenty of people online complaining about Sram shifters sticking and figure the solution might not be well-known.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. My only regret is that I should have splurged on the industrial finish. The satin finish is muted--definitely makes the bike seem ordinary (I like to think bike thieves would have less interest in it) but I realize now the industrial finish is more my style. In the future I hope Lysnskey updates their website with more photos that really show off the difference in finishes.