Lynskey Performance Designs Cooper CX Cyclocross Bike

4.96/5 (23 Reviews)

The Cooper CX was designed for the rider looking for a multi-use frame that can handle cyclocross racing and pull double duty as a solid commuter. Introduced as a disc specific model in 2011, this is the perfect do it all winter bike. The 3AL/2.5V titanium tubeset has a large diameter bi-axially ovalized downtube and top tube cable routing to keep mud out of the drivetrain. The rear end retains rack and fender mounts and S-bend seat and chainstays that give clearance for 700x38c tires. With six sizes to choose from, there is a Cooper CX for nearly everyone.

For the long gravel grinders, the daily commute or the weekend cross series, the Cooper CX will soon be the weapon of choice that you keep going to more times than not. Built with adventure in mind, let the Cooper CX take you some place off the beaten path and back again.

Submitted by pone a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2014

Strengths:    well-made frame, does what it says on the label.

Weaknesses:    let Lynskey build the frame, let someone else build the bike.

Bottom Line:
the cx makes for a durable allrounder with a relaxed geometry and fairly comfy titanium frame. the frame itself isn't particularly light weight but construction is clean and solid. it won't corrode and there's no paint to scratch. i bought a complete, assembled bike direct from Lynskey and it was a few months late on promised delivery. i had to strip the decals off because the way it had been packed for shipping screwed them up. Lynskey sent new decals without issue. my impression is that they're better at building frames than completing a build to fit. i got some push-back when i asked them to make good on their stated policy to switch out components that didn't fit me well (i submitted all my measurements with the order and made a point of speaking on the phone about fit). they sent me a 420mm long seat post, just ridiculously long for a medium frame that i just barely stand over. ok, it wasn't a big deal to cut it down . . . . the crank length on the other hand was more of an issue.

just my opinion, but if i had it to do over i'd still get the frame. i love the bike. but i'd either pay someone else to build it up and advise on fit, or do it myself.

again, not particularly light or stiff, but that's not why you'd buy this bike. sometimes i wish it were a little more responsive when i stand up and crank, but the construction, geometry and material favor stability and comfort.

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Bike Setup:   steel lynskey fork, rival drive components, velocity a23/sram x9 wheels, avid bb7 brakes

Submitted by Tony Gardiner

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2014

Strengths:    Perfect all rounder.

Weaknesses:    None - as far as i am aware.

Bottom Line:
I am very proud of my Lynskey, and also the guys at Mosquito Bikes in London who carried out the bike fit and specification. They partner up well with Lynskey offering great advice.

Submitted by John Carmichael a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2014

Strengths:    The ride. Stiff but comfortable. The first dozen or so rides when I took off from the lights I was looking behind to see who was giving me a push. It handles like my custom Reynolds 531-frame-soaks up inner city road bumps that jar my teeth on my old aluminium alloy frame. Very stable but also can be quick to change direction.

Weaknesses:    Have not found 1 in 2 months of solid riding.

Bottom Line:
Best cycling decision I have ever made.

Purchased At:   Bikepro

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra electronic shifters and hydraulic disc brakes.12-27 11 speed hub with 53-39 chainring. Alexrim wheels and Novatech sealed bearing hubs.

Submitted by John Proctor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2014

Strengths:    Enjoy the ride. Comfortable geometry. Proud to Own.

Weaknesses:    The only issue that I have seen is that Stan's sell's the Iron Cross wheelset as a "dedicated 'cross wheelset". The recommendations for this wheelset are to run a maximum 45psi with or without tubes. Lynskey sell's the Cooper CX as a bike that can "handle cyclocross racing and pull double duty as a solid commuter". Seems this wheelset could limit tire selection and psi for use beyond cyclocross.

Bottom Line:
Just rolled over 1200 miles on my Cooper CX. I set the bike up with tires to handle pavement, crushed limestone trails and chip sealed roads. I wanted a bike that could take me beyond the places my road bike could go. I have played with a few different tires and running them a little higher than Stan's recommendations without incident. Great bike!!!!!

Purchased At:   Maplewood Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 11 Speed, Stans Iron Cross, Thompson post stem, Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 700x35, Fizik seat.

Submitted by ch_cx @ JakID

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2013

Strengths:    The Brand, geometry, customer service

Weaknesses:    can't think of one

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd Lynskey and won't look elsewhere!
Thanks to Jack and Don, I got my custom finish CX frame with carbon fork and saddle, later built with rival groupo. From my experience with the older pro26 and pro650, I thought it's gonna be a great ride. But I was wrong, it was FAR BEYOND that..it's do-it-all bike. With Stans' Iron cross wheels, this cyclo beast really finds its home in gravel and single track. The handling is superb over the roots, mud and berms.. and with more relax geometry than procross, it makes long ride seems enjoyable. With custom carbon wheels, it goes flat out on the tarmac and climbs up 15%+ hill with ease..it's not great for sprinting though. I use compact chain ring with 11-28 setup. I rode it for nearly 500miles now during weekends in the past 2 months.. you just won't stop riding it. So, if you're still looking, this is the one.

Purchased At:   Lynskey Performance

Bike Setup:   Lynskey carbon fork, SRAM Rival groupo, 3T carbon dropbar stem seatpost, CKing headset, BB7 road SL brakes, stans iron cross rims with challenge grufo tyre 32", custom carbon disc rims with schwalbe marathon racer 28".

My Lynskey Cooper CX Disc is finished...BB-7 Road Lever Actuation

I just finished the build. Here are some pics. I am having set-up issues with the BB7s. I can't get them to clamp down enough without pre-setting them really close to the pads- so close that the discs to rub the pads during free spinning. What am I doing wrong? I need to put a longer casing on ... Read More »

New Lynskey Cooper CX disc with S&S

Finally here. Doing a slow build. Got Chorus 10 alloy that ill be hanging on her, but really want to save that for my next lugged steel frame. But I'll use it since its the only group I have ready to roll. Waiting on a set of HS spacers in the Rasta colors. Doing brake bolts in Rasta too. [ATTACH= ... Read More »

Lynskey Cooper CX fit

So I decided to get me a Cooper CX (2011) but am kind of stuck at choosing between two frame sizes, M or ML (55 and 56 effective top tube lengths). I used the Competitive Cyclist calculator, and talked with the folks at Lynskey. My inseam is 87cm / 34.3", height 179cm / 5'10.5" and with that and ... Read More »

Lynskey Cooper CX?

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of getting one as an around-town and rain/snow bike with studded tires. I'm also a bit concerned about the steep seat angle at 73.8. I generally ride bikes with no more than 73 - I guess that I could use a layback seatpost. Thoughts? Thank ... Read More »

cooper cx