Lynskey Performance Designs ProCross Cyclocross Bike

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

The Lynskey ProCross has just arrived to take on the best of the best on the cyclocross course. The ProCross is a true race-ready machine designed to take you to the top step of the podium. Not merely a road frame amped up for disc brakes and fatter tires, the ProCross has a super stiff Lynskey Helix down tube and a oversized head tube for stiffness and precise handling all around. Rear spacing has been pushed out to 135mm and a disc brake system has been added for better performance, traction and modulation. The ProCross geometry is well balanced, giving the rider the utmost in confidence to push the limits of their ability. Let the ProCross inspire you to new heights in your cold weather training and racing regime.

Submitted by Gilad Michael

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2014

Strengths:    Absolutely amazing! I have a few more bikes in the garage but I constantly taking the Procross whenever I can.
Power transfer is addictive while still maintaining the magical titanium shock absorbing.

Weaknesses:    None really...
I do tend to have more punctures then I'd want to.. But I ride tubeless on the kenda smallblock8 tires on rough terrain.

Bottom Line:
Loving it!
Excellent bike!

Submitted by wdavebike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2011

Strengths:    Stiffness, Compliance, Handling, Titanium

Bottom Line:
Thought it was time to post a review of my new Lynskey Pro Cross. Lynskey is a name that some people may not be familiar with, but the Lynskey family founded Litespeed Titanium Bicycles in 1986. They sold Litespeed in 1999 and in 2006, formed the company that bears their name, Lynskey Performance Designs. These are the folks that are solely responsible for my titanium obsession. I remember the first time I laid eyes on the Litespeed Ultimate in 1998. To me that was the coolest looking frame of that era with its curved seat tube, bladed down tube and curved seat stays. I was hooked! I was able to scrape together enough money to get one, but when it was time to pull the trigger, the dealer I went to happened to also have a Vortex in my size on hand and when I picked it up, I couldn’t believe how light it was. That started me down the weight weenie path. I ended up getting the Vortex and I have had nothing but titanium road bikes ever since. So, when it came time to get a new cyclocross bike, I called up the people that started it all for me, Lynskey.

Enough about my history with titanium, let’s get on with the review. As soon as I pulled the frame out of the box, I knew this thing was going to be special. The welds, the tube shapes and the weight were everything I expected from Lynskey. With my build kit of SRAM Red, Zipp 404 Tubular CX wheels, Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes, Crank Brothers 11 TI Candy pedals, Chris King headset, Ericson TI seatpost, Fizik Aliante Kium saddle and a full Ritchey WCS cockpit and WCS fork along with the fact that I replaced every steel bolt on the bike with a titanium one; the bike came in at 16 pounds. So far, so good!

I didn’t even get a chance to do a test ride the bike before taking it out to race it at the Chris Cross Cyclocross Challenge. I knew from the looks of the massive bi-axial ovalized down tube that this thing was going to be stiff. What really surprised me was how smooth it was. From the get go, I was awed by the comfort of the Lynskey's ride. The frame seemed to absorb everything the course threw at it. I honestly don’t know if it was the Ritchey WCS fork, the Zipp 404 wheels or the Lynskey frame, but the vibrations that hit the wheels were absorbed and never made it as far as my body. The almost complete absence of flex in the top tube and down tube is proof of the superior knowledge that Lynskey possesses when designing and tuning a titanium frame. There's no twist or give in the frame and that enables you to concentrate all your power to the pedals and that power is mainlined right to the rear wheel. So, this bike is comfortable, yet stiff and you might think that compromises the handling performance, but you’d be wrong. The bike handles awesome when you dive into corners. It never once got sketchy on me and I found myself hammering through the corners with my only concern being that I did a good glue job on my tubulars and they weren’t going to roll off the rim. Wow, I am impressed.

Favorite Ride:   DeStad Cyclocross Series

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Seven Mudhoney
Ritchey BreakAway TI Cyclocross

Bike Setup:   SRAM Red, Zipp 404 Tubular CX wheels, Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes, Crank Brothers 11 TI Candy pedals, Ericson TI seatpost, Chris King headset, Fizik Aliante Kium saddle Ritchey WCS stem, Ritchey WCS bar and Ritchey WCS fork

Submitted by Tom Leigh a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Stiffness, fit and finish, helix tube design, ride quality

Weaknesses:    Dropout shields are difficult to work around, slanted top tube awkward for shoulder carry, no eyelets for rack.

Bottom Line:
Great frame when coupled with a carbon fork. Completely bombproof and very versatile. Get the etching on the logos--the stock stickers are cheap looking. Wish I had gotten the disc brake model. A great race bike.

Favorite Ride:   Jeffco

Purchased At:   Maplewood Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Ultegra triple, TRP brakes, Ksyrium wheels

Submitted by Jim Dugue a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, stiff without beating you up. Lots of attention where ever I go!

Bottom Line:
I have a lot of bikes and when I go out to the garage, I always pull this one down!! It is the most fun to ride, street, dirt where ever. I think my frame is a 2009.

Favorite Ride:   Lynskey ProCross

Purchased At:   Rock N Road (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of bikes

Bike Setup:   Self built wheels, Stans, Chris King, CXray spokes, Ultegra, Kforce lite crank, EuroX Mag, Easton EA 90 Fork

Submitted by Anthony Pellegrino a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    Helix tubing is SICK! The combo of comfort and stiffness. The degree to which the sales and production staff at Lynskey is willing to customize your bike for a reasonable price. The fact it is made in USA by well paid workers....not in a dungeon in China.

Weaknesses:    Would maybe like different cable routing options. Do cross bikes need to have top tube routing? Down tube routing looks much nicer usually, and I've never broken a cable mountain biking. Decals scrape off easily, but thy offer and etching option.

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the 2010 Pro+Cross that was customized for 135 rear drop outs and disc brakes. Excellent bike in every way. Titanium is truly a superior material. Built up with Ultegra 6700 drive train, FSA k-force light carbon crank, Avid BB7 discs, Ashima rotors, and new Stans Alpha 340 rims to DT240s discs. The Helix tubing is a real eye catcher anywhere you bring it, and the bike is very stiff in turns. This bike feels as stiff as an alloy hardtail when I take it on single track, but is also very smooth and comfortable when I put road tires on it for long rides. Needless to say, that is a rare combo. Brushed finish is beautiful and durable. Breezer dropouts are awesome.

Price Paid:    $2000.00