Motobecane Fantom Cross Cyclocross Bike

4.15/5 (20 Reviews)

Shimano 105/Tiagra STI 18 Speed, Truvativ Elita GXP External Bearing Cross Crankset, Tektro Oryx Brakeset with Cross brake levers, A-6 Quaternary Phase Aluminum Alloy frame CustomCross Alex/Formula Wheelset, Ritchey Comp Stem, Ergo Bar.
Total Weight: 18.9 pounds

Submitted by Keith a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth ride, robust frame, light, a very comfy ride.

Weaknesses:    The stock seat is worthless. It is very hard, and even with bike shorts, my butt was tired after 5 miles. I replaced it with a Forte split seat, and the ride has improved immensely. I am having a little trouble with chain slippage on the 2 largest sprockets, At first the slippage was on the 2 smallest sprockets. A slight twist of the adjustment knob to tighten the cable took care of that, but the problem then switched to the larger sprockets. I will have this rechecked by a pro after I put more miles on the bike as It may be due to cable stretch, derailleur misalignment, or both. Front shifter is slow when shifting from the middle to the largest chain ring. Again, I hope to get this rectified with an adjustment.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a steel frame mountain bike for the past 10 years. I decided to try a cross bike and have absolutely no regrets about the switch. I did not opt for a road bike as I ride many gravel and limestone trails, so I preferred to stay with tread tires and a slightly wider width. This bike performs nearly perfectly in every way except for the chain slippage and the front shifter issue mentioned above (which I presume are adjustment issues). With the first down stroke of the pedal from a dead stop, this bike reacts instantaneously and takes off. It handles well on both paved and gravel trails. Since I am purely a recreational rider, I will limit my very positive recommendation to that specific type of rider. It is pure joy to ride. This bike is actually the newer 2013 27 speed model.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Submitted by Junior Vasquez

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Z

Weaknesses:    F

Bottom Line:
I'm selling the same exact bike for only $700 I live in California in orange county in the city of Anaheim hmu if interested at 714-658-0446

Submitted by Nickolas Jennings a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, and durable. The bike comes with a good quality level of parts. The initial tires are great for commuting. Plenty of room for accesories.

Weaknesses:    The pedal straps that come with the bike are low quality and I immediately replace them. The seat is usable but a lot of others have reccommended me to get another seat due to the flatness (being uncomfortable). Had to replace the brakes after 1200 miles of use. Rims are very entry level quality, but I've yet to change them.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for the all-around rider. I use to ride to school through some of the worst ride conditions I know. Shifting is smooth, weight is quite reasonable. On more than one occasion I've had to carry this bike on my shoulder with very little effort involved. Once in a while I'll compete in triathlons, so I'll put the two sided pedals on the Fantom CX (spd and normal on each side), and throw some skinny tires on the bike and I'm highly competitive. I'm up in the race averaging 20.7 mph with the people that spent $1000's on their bikes. Unless you're an excellent rider, you should probably spend a lot less on your bike.

Also I use this bike for lor long distance biking, no tours yet, but two centuries and I found it be efficient. Dropdown bars make it slightly difficult to shift into other gears to one stretching their thumb so far.

Favorite Ride:   Racing, <100 mile rides

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   Do some work, it's being shipped to you. I would advise you to know what an allen wrench is and understand how to use it. It's not that difficult, and is a great experience to learn, but you could always pay the LBS to assemble for $50 and tune up for $50.

Submitted by james lee a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2011

Strengths:    Disc brakes last forever

Weaknesses:    56 cm is a bit racy for a commuter, rec rider. Changed the seat

Bottom Line:
I used to commute to work with a 29ner bike but when the hard hitting Colorado snow came, I was getting a workout. So what I really needed a cheap bike to commute in deep snow and this was it. The I haven't changed any components except for the seat and the stem to fit my need. Needless to say that this bike has gone through some rough sh%t.

Favorite Ride:   dirt paths, sidewalks, in and out of city

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Giant TCR3, Gary Fischer Cobia,

Submitted by mslerner2002 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    Value + Price, nice paint job(orange), triple crank, fender eyelets, smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Toss the saddle. Wish it had a taller headtube but solved that problem with an adjustable handlebar stem.

Bottom Line:
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX 3, 49cm, what can I say, after getting over the anxiety of buying a bike sight unseen, I am completely satisfied with my purchase. I bought this not for cyclocross but for century rides so I could get higher volume tires and the triple crank.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com