Motobecane Windsor Cyclo Cyclocross Bike

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

CycloCross Bike

Submitted by drnizzle

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    it's a bike and has wheels, will get you from point a to b

Weaknesses:    you get what you pay for, from point a to b it might be uncomfortable and painful because of the bike not because of the ride

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike mainly for commuting and some off road biking/trail biking. Put the bike together, felt fine, changed the stem, new wider handle bars for better handling, and new tires because the ones that came on the bike were crap. After less than 100 miles they warped after running over a bump in the road.
The bike would never stayed tuned and constantly had problems shifting correctly after a few miles on the road. Huge toe overlap, which was a problem on narrow trails. I didn't realize how much I disliked the bike until it was recently stolen and I purchased a new cyclocross bike. I put about 2000 miles on the windsor.
The new bike is a ridley cross and I love it. I can feel the better handling and responsiveness. Slight toe overlap if I try. It feels quality and comfortable. I have only put 15 miles on it as it just came yesterday but it was a delightful 15 miles. I usually ride a 54 cm bike but most reviews said size down and they were correct the 52 cm worked fine. I will probably get a new stem and tires but that will be about it. It shifts better and smoother than the windsor.
In the end you get what you pay for. I bought the windsor for $1100 and the ridley for $1500. It is worth the extra $400 hands down and should have not gone for the knock off brand

Submitted by ttgoods1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    Ultegra/105 Groupo, Thoughtful cyclocross set up including 46/36 FSA crankset, and Canti-brake with added levers on the flats.

Weaknesses:    Only comes in black for most part. 7000 series aluminium rides stiff but rough. Cheap Cables and Bar Tape.

Bottom Line:
Just purchased a 2010 Windsor Cyclo By Bikes Direct. Its from the same outfit that sells Motobecane on the internet.

Wanted to purchase a bike for early season training that double as a commuter bike. I have a mountain bike but mountain bikes are not great long distance commuters. I find I need to use the large chain ring to ride with the flow of traffic and that gets my pants dirty.

When I was younger I raced cyclo cross and thought a good cyclocross bike might do the trick. I did not want to spent a lot and the offerings by Specialized, Bianchi and Redline were to expensive or had cheap groupos.

I decided to give the Windsor Cyclo a try. The price is $795 which was about 50% to 40% cheaper than the comparables. The price includes free shipping -its a great deal. I ordered the frame in white but bikesdirect was out of stock so they sent me a black one and gave me a $50 discount after checking first.

I was skeptical because the deal seemed to good to be true but soon my skepticism turned to pleasure. The bike came from UPS and when I opened the box I found it was packed well to prevent damage during shipping. If you are a novice; to get the bike built professionally. The directions are limited and the bike comes as any bike would from the manufacturer. To build you need a stand, metric hex keys, a holllow tech bottom bracket tool, cable cutters, a truing stand, air pump and bike lube to complete the job. Take your time building because many of the bolts were not lubed to my liking and that could lead to stripping latter on .

The build took about 90 minutes from start to finish; which includes sizing, truing the wheels and fine tuning the brakes and shifters. I suggest that you reinstall the crankarms because FSA has problems with their cranks coming loose and if they are too tight it will damage the bottom bracket.

One great aspect of the Cyclo is that its a race ready Cyclo Cross bike out of the box. Its not a world championship bike but the world champion cyclocross rider would win any local race on the cyclo.

The frame is a mix of 7000 and 6000 Aluminum which is ok. A 100% 6000 frame would be better because 6000 rides smoother (no difference in strength or weight). I was expecting the frame to be rough cut but the paint and welds are very good and in general of better quality than a low end Trek or Specialized. If you really race hard in 2-4 years you will change the frame anyway. The frame runs large so I suggest you look at the geometry carefully before deciding on size. I ride a M Sloping frame and the 54cm is perfect for me. They claim the bike weighs 19 lbs (maybe on Mars) its more like 22lbs.

The wheels are solid, the hubs are nice and the tires are fine for the money. The wheels are heavy but if you race at some time you may opt for tubular rims anyway and you can build a new wheelset with existing hubs.

The bike rides like and aluminum bike and not as nice as a Canondale. However its fine and I changed the handlebar tape and that seems to have helped. The seat is nice Fizik-clone by Velo but switching to a ti railed seat will also help with vibration buzz.

I changed the stem and seat post with some Salsa sticks I had in my part bin and that shaved about 10 ounces off the weight. However the stock parts are fine and I would not buy new to change them.

The bike handles good and its good for medium to up tempo riding. The gearing is great but maximized for cyclo cross as it has a true cross crankset 46/36. The chain lines are great on this bike and its smoother in the small chain ring than my GIANT TCR.

The Cyclo its a solid intermediate bike at any price it just costs $795 and not $1400.

Favorite Ride:   Giant TCR