Raleigh USA RX Cyclocross Bike

• Shifter: Shimano Tiagra, 9spd
  • Rims: Freedom RLX1.9 Double Wall

Submitted by k a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2011

Strengths:    Versatility (most low-mid cross bikes get this too). 105 rear is consistent. Cross wolf tires are great for my use of gravel and paved riding mix.

Weaknesses:    1. The bar tape wasn't wrapped tightly and required a re-wrap after only a week or so of riding. (In their defense, the bike had been sitting in a shop built up for probably 3 years).
2. Cable housing rubs on the top of the fork.
3. Brake pads seem to have worn much more than they should. But pad replacement isn't too expensive.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike on clearance after not being able to get anything locally for a similar price. You know how hard it is to find a bike on clearance for a 6-3 guy? I also have had the wheels go out of true a few times, but I think that comes from being a big guy and riding rough tractor pitted gravel roads aggressively. I personally like the saddle a lot. The 9spd rear 105 functions smoothly and without much aggravation. The tiagra front does seem to argue when shifting under load, but it does shift when I ask it to. Only once or twice has it come off the rings. I've not had any problems whatsoever with seatpost clamps (and I am nearly 200#).

Favorite Ride:   between 35 and 80 degrees

Purchased At:   Yellow Jersey, Madis

Similar Products Used:   Test road Spec. Tricross Triple, Redline and flat bar Raleigh hybrid.

Bike Setup:   Stock parts: Tiagra STI, Truvavix 48/39 crank, Tiagra front, 105, 9spd rear 12/26. WTB cross wolf tires.
Addons: Transit quick release seat post rack w/Seatle sports trunk drybag. Planet bike rear blinker and borrowed Lights in motion rechargeable front light. I also have a Revelate "tangle" frame bag which is nice for things I want while riding (jacket, phone, food) and has a pass through for a hydration bladder-hose in case I wanted to use that instead of bottles.

Submitted by TickleMyOlmo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2008

Strengths:    Nice Frame -- it should be sold as a frameset only to allow the buyer to customize for the buyer's preferred use of the bike.

Customizable -- eyelets on frame and fork make it easy to install fenders and a rack. This makes a great first road bike for someone who may commute, may ride dirt or pavement surfaces, and has Walter Mitty fantasies about cyclocross racing.

One good component -- The handlebars. I really like the Easton handlebars; they offer nice hand positions and feel solid.

Weaknesses:    Virtually all the components. I highly recommend immediately replacing the following (in order of most important to least important):
-Rear skewers
-Seatpost clamp
-Wheelset
-Tiagra gruppo
-Brakes
-Seat
-Crank
-Heck, just have your shop strip the thing and give you credit for the original components that you can put toward stuff you like.

Bottom Line:
Most cyclocross bikes make for an interesting Swiss Army knife approach to cycling, and the RX 1.0 is no exception. It's almost adequate out-of-the box to race your local cyclocross series, it makes a dandy commuter, and it could be the perfect one-bike for the new road rider who's not sure where or how she or he will ride. Weak components keep the bike affordable, but can cause frustration.

I bought the bike as a rain bike (we need these in Seattle) with fenders for group rides and a rack for my short commute. I swapped the knobbies for road tires and have a nice set up. I almost look forward to rainy days now!

The aluminum frame is solid, the beefy carbon fork from Easton (EC90X) inspires confidence.

The only drawbacks I've found are with the component set, which in almost every regard are cheaper and weaker than I'd have chosen on my own, and they've let me down repeatedly.

First, the wheel set is weak. Mine went out of true twice in the first few months. Second, the rear skewer has insufficient holding strength. Starting under power from a stoplight is enough to tug the rear axle skewer out of position, causing the tire to rub the brake or frame and the rider's forward motion comes to an immediate halt. This is dangerous if it happens in a crosswalk with cars turning into one's path, or on a group ride when those behind you pile into you during your unexpected sudden stop. A friend with an RX 1.0 had the same complaint about the skewer and also shared my criticism of another issues: the seat post clamp. Slowly but surely our seats slipped down, down, down, and required frequent mid-ride adjustments. My seatpost clamp failed entirely (stripped and broke at the clamp end) and required replacement. Finally, I'm not impressed with the Tiagra components. The 105 rear derailleur doesn't make up for a weak gruppo. It's often out of adjustment and I can't count on clean shifts. I'm afraid to ride in group hammerfests for all of these flaws.

It's a bit disappointing that Raleigh doesn't sell this as a frame-only to allow a build out to match the buyer's intentions. Cyclocross racers would undoubtedly upgrade the gruppo and brakes; commuters might prefer better wheels and would trade for road tires. Everyone needs different skewers and seat posts.

Favorite Ride:   Seattle Cyclocross Series -- Evergreen

Purchased At:   Recycled Cycles Seat

Similar Products Used:   Independent Fabrications Planet Cross (I race this one)

Bike Setup:   All original (unfortunately) except for road tires, fenders, a rack, and a new seatpost clamp.

Submitted by Wil Raymond a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2008

Strengths:    great for the commute and even better in the mud, tracks well but heavy for road use at 22lbs(21 with RED crankset)

Weaknesses:    shifting doesn't always catch, suggest ultegra or Rival gruppo for racing or long hauls

Bottom Line:
The 2008 RX 1.0 is the only cross' bike in production by Raleigh so therefore its the best and worst of raleigh. So what makes it a cross bike? the canti brakes and cross flat bar brakes pared with the 700X32 WTB cross wolf tires add a nice bit of traction in the mud and dirt. it also maintains well on the road, with some noise (as to be expected with cross' tires). The frame is relaxed to put traction to the rear, and after a drop in the headset i found nice handling in long road rides. i traded out for some 700X28 slicks and handles great. tracks like a rail in a sprint but is a bit hefty to haul left and right. for racers the ec90X fork absorbs the bumps well and the frame is comfortable to carry. i upgraded the crank to Sram RED in compact and will plan on ditching the tiagra mostly on the fact that i have shifting problems due to the quality of the components. though it shifts great at high cadence though doesn't always catch in shifts up or down

Favorite Ride:   Riding Sidewinder on the KTA