Raleigh USA RXC Cyclocross Bike

• Frame: Direct Connect Carbon w/PF30, Integrated Headtube
  • Fork: Carbon Monocoque Cross 1-1/8" to 1.5" Taper
  • Brakes: Tektro CR710 Canti
  • Gear: Sram PG1070 (12-27t)
  • Rims: Weinmann DP18 Double Wall
  • Tires: Vittoria Cross XG Pro Folding 700cx32c

Submitted by Robert a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2013

Strengths:    -Good price point
-Great geometry
-Nice paint finish and decals
-Internal cable routing (Di2 or EPS ready frame)
-Short wheelbase as compared to traditional CX set up

Weaknesses:    -Downtube internal cable routing is a bit of a gong show
-Rear derailleur cable could have been routed at end of chain stay instead of on top for better cable travel if going mechanical
-Aluminum Di2 covers instead of steel
-Shimano 105 is mediocre, should have fitted with SRAM Force/Rival
-Rear wheel clearance along the chain stay a bit tight - can't go any bigger than a 700x33
-The American Classic stock wheel set is a tank

Bottom Line:
**Please note that this review is for the Raleigh RXC Disc and not the Canti version**

I purchased this bike from REI and had them replace the Shimano drivetrain with SRAM RED including a XG-1090 12-28 cassette and Cannondale Hollowgram SiSl crankset. I also upgraded the cockpit to 3T as well as the Seatpost (3T Ergonova Team Bar, ARX II Stem and 3T Dorico Seatpost). I also changed the wheels to the Stan's Iron Cross Pro with Clement LAS tubeless. The bike as it is with pedals sits at 16 lbs.

I wanted to have a winter bike to ride in inclement weather instead of putting fenders on my summer bike. I also wanted something that I can take on the trails around the neighbourhood without having to take my XC bike. What attracted me to the Raleigh RXC Disc is that off-the-shelf, this bike is already race proven (Ben Berden rode the RXC Disc Pro off the shelf). The slightly sloping top tube was a welcome feature and the 1005 mm wheelbase was only about 1/4" longer than my Colnago. This bike is designed to be quick.

I love the short-ish wheelbase since I was going to use this predominantly on the road. All in all, I was very impressed with the bike. Once I was able to dial in the seat, bar/stem height and the proper tire pressure, I took this on a 50-mile ride consisting of good and bad pavement as well as dry single track. The bike handled extremely well, stiff and responsive without being too harsh. The 700x33 Clement LAS with its file tread is perfect for the road and running them tubeless is the only way to go. Stan's No-Tubes does not recommend going over 45 PSI on the Iron Cross Pro, but the sweet spot for me is at 55 PSI for road riding and 40 PSI on the trails. So far the ride has been perfect, responsive but not harsh.

I highly recommend this bike as an alternative to your road bike and the disc brakes will take you places in the rain or sun.

Favorite Ride:   The 3-Trail Loop (Stoke's, Sunnyside and Watershed)

Purchased At:   REI.com