Ritchey Ti Cyclo-Cross Break-Away Frame Cyclocross Bike

Ti Break-Away Cross Frame

• Made from extra lightweight custom drawn and mitered 3/2.5 Titanium
  • Patented locking compression coupling system
  • Stout bridgeless chainstay design
  • Integrated headset
  • Durable sand blasted graphics
  • Travel case included
  • Comes with the WCS all carbon cross fork

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by CanadaBikeDude40 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2013

Strengths:    Light, strong, versatile, well-finished, classic geometry AND it comes apart and fits in its own suitcase making travel possible. Rides as well as any very god bike. Smooooth.

Weaknesses:    It's hard to find fault - but I can.
    1. The cables come apart like the frame does. These connectors can rattle against the frame which is just plain annoying. I solved this by wrapping the connectors in rubber bands.
    2. They don't promote them. I simply didn't know that a product like this existed.
    3. They don't make many. If you want one of these rare beauties, plan and expect to get one in next years' run.

Bottom Line:
    About me so that you know how I'm evaluating this:
    - I'm 6'4", 200lbs, ride 8000kms a year.
    - I tour, ride fast events and I commute by bike.
    - the roads nearest to be are in terrible shape.
    - I've had this bike for 2 months.
    - I've been riding for 30+ years.
    - I've ridden steel, good aluminum, carbon and recently ti.

This bike is fast, light and well balanced (for me) with classic road racing geometry. This bike accelerates pretty well, corners better than any bike I've ever had, rides rough roads best. It has eyelets for a rack (haven't tried that yet) and oodles of clearance.

There is no hint of compromise in its ride as a result of the fact that it comes apart. None. Zero. Period. Most cyclists don't even notice it's special feature on seeing it.

It is surprisingly beautifully finished and has a very clever (patented), subtle break-apart design. The workmanship is very good indeed. Tom Ritchey has a long history in making frames. He's a bit of a master. I can see why.

I thought this frame was expensive when I decided to buy it. It is. However, when I got to thinking about it, it's good value. Consider that it comes with its own case ($300), a super fork ($300), a headset ($50) and connector doo-dads ($60). Also ti frames aren't cheap. These frames can be had for a little under the MSRP. Deduct these costs from what you pay, consider the quality of the frame, the small run and you're

And they are good value compared to getting an S&S coupled bike too (which are good too). After you supply a comparable frame, have it cut (gasp), probably repainted and shipped to and fro. Well the math it's pretty.

I haven't broken it down for the suitcase, but I have put it together. Search the web for their comments. I am confident it will take about 30 minutes to put together/take apart.

It's an uncompromising machine and capable of making obsolete all the other bikes in my stable. I don't use it everyday because it's a little too expensive for that.
    AND
    It simplifies travel in so many ways. That's the key.

I wish I had known about it years ago!

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor USA

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale (alu), Trek (alu), Scott (carbon), Motobecane (ti)

Bike Setup:   I have the bike setup with:
    - an Utlegra compact drivetrain with a long cage derailleur so that I can slip on a 12-32 cassette for serious climbing.
    - Avid brakes
    - alu Ritchey parts elsewhere
    - Fizik seat
    - Speedplay frog pedals or Shimano race pedals (depending on what I'm into that day).
    - Mavic wheels and Conti 28c Four-Season tires

Submitted by Al a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Strengths:    Quick assembly and disassembly when traveling (25 minutes and you're ready to ride). Cross geometry is perfect go anywhere design. Brushed TI finish does not scratch like paint with rigors of airline travel. Comes with case! NO airline surcharges. Packs with all cycling clothes, shoes etc and still under 40lbs for travel.

Weaknesses:    TSA loves to pull it out of the case even though it will go through the X-Ray Machine and never repacks it correctly, so carry minor parts in other luggage. Don't take CO2 cartridges with you as TSA takes them, so get a small floor pump (packs in with bike).

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike and built up to be versatile go anywhere travel bike. At just under 18 pounds with all running gear, it is perfect for city streets, commuting, bike paths, the occasional moderate single track, and just about anywhere you are willing and your skills allow you to go. Carrying a set of 'cross tires along on trips, a quick tire change and you are off on trial (very handy in some European countries). All day comfort, light weight, climbs well. GREAT cruising bike. My favorite for social riding!

Favorite Ride:   Lunchtime