Sette CX-1 Ultegra Carbon Cyclocross Bike

This might be a long shot...but if you happened to do any of the races in the 2009 SoCalCross Prestige...

Submitted by Farmer Ted

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Strengths:    spec, weight, quality, fit, capability on road or off road.

Weaknesses:    I'm not a fan of matte finishes.

Bottom Line:
I'm mainly a mountain biker and bought this bike to replace my road bike. I wanted something that was more slack and more durable than a regular road bike that I could ride on gravel roads, single track, and on pavement...kind of a jack of all trades. The CX-1 is that bike for sure. I've got around 400 miles on mine now and I love it. The build spec is perfect for the bike and the frame and geometry are spot on. I've ridden my bike on road rides, gravel roads, and singletrack from mellow to technical and it does it all as good as any. The ride is very nice and smooth, and the 56cm fits me (5'11") perfectly. I did a Stan's tubeless conversion on the wheels that came with the bike and run them at around 45psi for my typical rides that are a mix of on road and off road. I bought another set of wheels that I have regular road tires on and it instantly transforms the CX-1 into a capable road bike...I even raced a crit with it this summer and it did great. My only complaints are that the matte finish is hard to keep clean but, admittedly, I'm a fan of gloss finishes. The bar tape that came with the bike isn't my favorite, and mine had a bent rear brake barrel adjuster out of the box but these are all super minor complaints. You will not find another Ultegra level carbon CX bike anywhere for this price...trust me, I looked. I am definitely not disappointed in this one and it's my 2nd Sette bike. I also have a Razzo 29er that has 2000 miles on it and is still going strong. I'm a firm believer in Sette's quality and value.

Submitted by Vern a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Power transfer, handling

Weaknesses:    Matt white paint shows grease and dirt

Bottom Line:
This review is for the frame only. I am very pleased with the quality of this frame. It builds up easily, and has just the features I was looking for: tapered full carbon fork, internal cable routing, English BB. The front deraiileur cable routing is full housing from the shifter through the downtube to behind the seat tube. The rear der. has cable stops in the toptube but you can run full housing down the seatstays to the derrailleur. The rear brake also uses cable stops in the top tube. Frame weight is 1170 grams advertised, but unverified - seems about right.

The downtube is massive and the power transfer is great. It's nimble off road, but also very stable on-road. The ride is comfortable. I had planned on using it just for 'cross, but i'm going to try it in road races as well since it is light as my road bike (Fuji Team RC) and stiffer.

The Pricepoint website photo doesn't show it, but my fork came drilled so that I used a fork mounted brake hanger. The paint is an attractive matte white/black/red. The white is easy to get greasy and hard to clean, but with the right product, it cleans up nicely.

Favorite Ride:   Old County road, Truro, MA

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   105 group, ritchey curve evo bars, avid shorty 4 brakes, koolstop salmon pads, Forte Titan clincher and Mercury tubular wheels, various tires.

Submitted by AWILSON a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    It moves! All the components are high quality...really happy with my purchase. I bought this to replace my road bike(Scott Addict) and was worried it wouldn't stack up, but it will do just fine

Weaknesses:    The plastic that the bars were covered in for shipping tore the bar tape when removed.

Bottom Line:
I have only had it for a couple of day, but have put about 100 miles on it. It built up super easy, except for what the bar tape was cover with for shipping tore the tape. I did add the new TRP cross V-brakes because I hate canti's. This bike is super fast, stiff, and just flat out goes! The quality of the frame looks very good and the paint is perfect. I think it is a great value with its component spec. and if you are thinking about pulling the trigger then do it.

Favorite Ride:   Any