Soma Fabrications Double Cross Cyclocross Bike

4.45/5 (22 Reviews)

A great 'do-all' frame. Ready for cross, trail-riding, commuting and some loaded touring. We make it in a wide range of sizes to fit you right.

• Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo steel front triangle; butted CrMo rear end
  • Clearance for 700x38c tires with fenders
  • Rear spacing fits road or mtn hubs.
  • Matching lugged crown steel fork features eyelets for front rack and braze-ons for low-rider panniers.(optional)
  • 1-1/8" size headtube - w/ extra height so you use less spacers.
  • 10 sizes: 42cm to 62cm
  • 4.2 lbs (54cm)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by kurtz433 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable, fast descending, steady climbing, solid cornering.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but this is a daily commuter / singletrack cross bike, not a racer.

Bottom Line:
    This was my first build, all cobbled together online. I am very happy with the Soma Double Cross. It took a couple of rides to dial in, but since building / putting on the road Thanksgiving 2012, I've ridden it 6,000 miles and 300,000 feet of climbing (to include multiple Mount Diablo / Mount Tam rides).

Everything from daily commuting to rides up / centuries / circumnavigating SF Bay / singletrack / cx races (usually dfl - no fault of the bike) / alleycats (dfl) / and soon to be bike camping.

"Viola" will climb as fast as you can (I'm not fast) and due to sheer mass (probably weighs in around 25lbs), descends just as fast as any roadie I've chased / passed. Switchback descents are especially fun, and the $ 25 Genetic mini-v brake set stops with confidence even at 40mph+ (if you ride mindfully).

I highly recommend this frame for riders who want a stable all-purpose bike. Components are especially important, and the mileage in this case proves their compatibility and durability.

Very satisfied all around.

Favorite Ride:   Oakland Hills / Marin County

Purchased At:   Ebay / Craigslist /

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Black 54cm frame
    IRD Straight Tange cross fork
    1st Gen Force shifters
    Rival crankset / derailleurs / cassette / chain
    Charge Spoon saddle (very comfortable)
    Dimension flat-top shallow drop bars
    Fulcrum Racing 4 wheelset
    Truvativ Stylo Stem / Seatpost
    Topeak explorer rear rack

Submitted by Matt a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    Light, good on and off road, love the feel of the steel.

Weaknesses:    Poor tolerance on the seat tube (have to torque down the seat post retainer bolt), poor finish - after one particularly muddy cross race the top tube looked like it had been sanded.

Bottom Line:
    Great "do-it-all" bike used for commuting, cross racing, and light touring.

Favorite Ride:   Surveyor's Ridge MTB trail, Oregon

Purchased At:   Unreal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4, Trek 1500

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ulterga/105 cockpit, Mavic Aksium wheelset, and various new and used parts.

Submitted by Dean a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    The geometry is super stable, both on road and on dirt. I have a wheelset for each application. 700X23 for road and 700X38 for dirt.

I take my Doublecross on mountain biking trails and it handles great even when descending steep switchbacks. It climbs with ease, provided that you have the gear range for it.

On road, the geometry is on the sluggish side. It rides kind of like a rando bike, not snappy like a race frame and not too slow like a fatty touring frame. Its just right.

The frame is flexible as hell. It has rack mounts for the rear. If you get the matching fork, it has mounts for front racks as well. As aforementioned, its kind of like a Rando bike you an go mountain biking with.

It is also very affordable. Tange Prestige is a whole lot nicer than a generic 4130 tubing.

Weaknesses:    Heavy rear end. Overall, still a tad bit porky, my racer weighed in at 22 lbs with WTB 700X32 All-Terrainasaurus tires. I got it down to 21 lbs with IRD Cross tires

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the canti version

Last winter, I decided to race cyclocross for fun. I had a Surly CrossCheck but I came to conclusion that it was too porky for racing.So I decided to get a Soma DoubleCross because it had a nicer tubing and it was a half a pound lighter than the Surly. I put on a carbon fork on the Soma for more weight savings.

I switched frames from Surly to Soma and the weight savings was almost a pound and a half, ceteris paribus aside from the fork. The geometry is definitely different. The Doublecross has a longer top-tube and head tube.

It is currently my favorite bike, logging in more hours than my lighter Specialized Roubaix. Steel feels more lively and comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   Canada Road

Similar Products Used:   Surly CrossCheck

Bike Setup:   105 shifters, Ultegra drivetrain, FSA Gossamer cranks, Ultegra hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro

Submitted by RobDelf a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Good all around, do anything bike. I like steel durability and economy. I especially like Tange tubing, light, comfy, great handling. I like Soma designs, versatile, simple, functional.

Weaknesses:    The drive side chainstay, dropout weld split after 5 years 3 months. Was going 5mph at the time luckily, but was descending MonarchPass at 50mph shortly before.

Bottom Line:
    Rode many tough tours and centuries and double centuries on crappy Cali roads. The chain stay broke climbing Ebett
    s Pass going about 5mph on the DeathRide. It was about 3 months out of warranty and I couldn't find my receipt, and I had repainted a fragile original paint job. The shop was hesitant (American Cyclery SFO) so they ended up giving me wholesale price for a Soma Smoothie which has been a good all around bike. Rode the Cali Triple Crown on it, including the Terrible Two.

Favorite Ride:   SantaRosaCreekRoad

Purchased At:   American Cyclery, SF

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Cromor

Bike Setup:   Ultegra components, Mavic wheels.

Submitted by Matt Corwin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, just the right ballance of stiffness and flex for my 180lbs. Handles fearlessly on dirt and rides like a Caddy on pavement. Nice welds and paint, lots of braze ons for everything you could want to bolt on.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for a cyclocrosser. I have heard some negatives but remain to be seen. Hard to adjust the front brakes so the forks won't hop and chatter.

Bottom Line:
    I was looking for a bike that had the ability too handle the gravel roads and blacktop rural highways of central Maine for some time. Aluminum frames, even with some carbon to make them more shock absorbant still have a harsh ride, there bigest advantage being lightness. Ripping down gravel hills at 25+ mph she's as quiet as a mouse. the same 105 groupe that I have on my aluminium framed cross bike is on the DC and works flawlessly whereas it rattles itself out of adjustment on my other bike.
    I like to ride with 'no hands' and this bike has the stability that I have craved since the old Raliegh days. I also have a Holdsworth Reynolds frame touring bike with a 42" wheelbase that isn't any better than the DC for straightline stability.
    Frame stand over hieght is lower than on similar size cross bikes, the seat tube angle rakes back more than say, Redline or Kona. If you ride a 58 roadbike, you will ride a 56 Redline but you will still ride a 58 DC. I ride a 57cm road and my DC is a 58cm. The Geometry of the DC is more streched out lengthwise. The top tube is longer than the seat tube and with the rake of the seat tube it gives a nice comfortable upright (less agressive) posture. I think it's an ideal bike for long limbed people like myself but maybe not for more compact guys like the one I bought the bike from (not sure about that). Anyway, I love this bike

Favorite Ride:   Maine hills

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   A few touring bikes over the years.

Bike Setup:   105 shifter/brake levers. 105 front and rear deraileurs.105 12/25 casset Avid Shorty brakes. Shimano 550 wheels (road use) and 105 36 spoke wheels for winter and loadbearing use. Brooks Pro. saddle. Ritchy seatpost and stem/ handle bars. Cane Creek headset.Salsa cross levers.

Soma Double Cross

Anything bad to say about this frame, particularly the disc only?Read More »

Soma Double Cross Disk commuter just finished

I just finished my Soma Double Cross Disk commuter rig. I was just looking to build something that I could easily throw a couple of bags on an jam to work. Its a 1x10 because I never use the small gear to and from work so it seemed like a waste to have on there. Soma Double Cross Disc frame Nash ... Read More »

K-Edge Cross Double Chain Catcher question

Has any one tried to use this on a mountain bike with a 2x10 crank? [url=http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/k-edge-chain-catchers/cross-double-chain-catcher.html]Cross Double Chain Catcher - K-Edge Chain Catchers[/url] I posted over in MTB but have gotten nothing. I use there ACS that replac ... Read More »

Traitor Ruben vs Soma Double Cross dc

For a do it all full time commuter, part time racer. Steel with disc brakes. Your thoughts on these two frames. [url=http://www.traitorcycles.com/Bikes_Ruben.cfm]::T R A I T O R C Y C L E S::[/url] [url=http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/double-cross-dc]Double Cross DC | SOMA Fabricat ... Read More »

Double Cross and upgrade from Cross Check?

As the title suggests, I'm curious as to weather a double cross frame would be an upgrade from a cross check frame. Right now I'm riding a 62cm cross check and the top tube is a bit too long. I could put a shorter stem, but that would screw the handling. Would the double cross ride much different ... Read More »