Specialized TriCross Comp Cyclocross Bike

4.56/5 (18 Reviews)
MSRP : $2000.00

Versatile aluminum CX bike with carbon fork and shaped tubing. The Comp version has lightweight retro-look high-flange Roval wheels.

Submitted by brad

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Strengths:    Versatility. Quick. 2012 comp is drop dead gorgeous in terms of finish. Light enough to shoulder. Stable with panniers and rack. Comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    Front reflector mounted on handlebars, which takes up valuable real-estate. Instructions that come with it, like all bikes in my experience, give absolutely no details on such things as adjusting brakes or derailleurs.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as a commuter and light tourer to replace an 18 year old cannondale hybrid. I've fitted it with a rear rack, occassional paniers, and an ortlieb bar bag on the front, and fenders. It really rides well. dampens out ground issues, quick to start, stable. Really nice components (105). I even like the stock seat. The tires are great too. I was suprised at the high amount of pressure they are spec-ed for.

Submitted by shannon

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2012

Strengths:    105 groupset
extended wheel base for stability
Threads for racks and fenders
comfort oriented stance

Weaknesses:    front fender installation is a bit awkward due to recessed brake bolt
front fork recall
narrow stock bars
seat feels a bit square and flat.

Bottom Line:
2012 tri cross comp. Nice minimalist look, with red understated bling detailing. Bike of all trades, and nice groupo. Replaced the bars for wider 44cm version, feels way better. Nice upright stance, suitable for town riding, and long haul touring. Easily attached fenders and rear rack for commuting, though I had a time getting the front fender to mount on the back side of the fork. Recessed brake bolt required creativity. The down tube has a portion of the tube exposed, where it connects with the bottom bracket. pro or con; just different. The bell on the 2ndary brake levers is a nice touch.

Submitted by M Brown a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2011

Strengths:    Good looking fast light perfect entry level.

Weaknesses:    Had a front brake recall and replace fork all repairs covered.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, rookie rider with no experience wanted multi function bike to help get started riding. Changed tires to a set of roads for logging miles and getting fit. Howeve did a 25 mile ride on cross tires.

Favorite Ride:   2010 Tri Cross Sport

Purchased At:   Dick Sonnes

Submitted by John a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Responsive/fast yet very stable.
Rides/shifts great.
Tire wear.
Rack/lugage capable.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've owned. Great all around bike for recreational riding, commuting, century rides, light touring. Rides and shifts great. Resonsive yet stable so I prefer it to my old road bike (if I unexpectedly hit sand/gravel or potholes, I no longer think much about it - with my road bike I'd be freaking out). I've never been so motivated to get out and ride in all kinds of conditions. Tires are wearing better than the road bike. Couldn't be more satisfied. Love the look of the large, chrome hubs.

Favorite Ride:   Red Rocks, Dinosaur Ridge west of Denver

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Road bike.

Bike Setup:   Factory original with rear rack added.

Submitted by bob auchmutey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2011

Strengths:    except above mention a great road bike for rust belt roads. rided and handles very well on our anything but silky smooth michigan roads. love it on trails as well.

Weaknesses:    above mentioned garbage shimano shifter. will not buy another bike with shimano nor replace this transmission with one.

Bottom Line:
have now logged several trousand miles on this bike. overfall a very good ride. but one major beef.the drivetrain has been prone to shift on its own since the warranty went out of course.saw same complaint in another review. have changed chain and sprocket.bike shop has been very accommodating but as of yet no help from specialized. was pedaling up a steep hill with my cycling group when then drivetrain once again shifted itself and locked up.the result was a fall in which i was skinned up and almost run over by another cyclist.shop i bought it from has been very accomodating . a couple of the employeessaid they have been made aware of similar problems on other machines with the 27 speed ultegra mountain bike trannie .i will be replacing it with another system at considerable expense.this system is flawed and i have the scars to prove it.888

Favorite Ride:   specialized tricross sport

Purchased At:   klm cycle and fitnes

Similar Products Used:   wjfe has a specialized that has performed very well in all facets. puchased on changed same day.

Bike Setup:   changed original rims . upgraded with mavics.also changed from stirrups to toe clips.no problems with burroghs tires as others have mentioned.use original set of burroughs and a thinner set of michelins depending on where im riding.

Tricross Comp Disc Compact 2013 in Europe?

Is there any way to buy this bike in Europe? I've only found it on USA and Australian online stores.Read More »

TriCross Comp Disc - help me lighten the load

I bought a TriCross Comp Disc Compact a couple months back as my daily commuter because it had the right mix of what I was looking for - SRAM drivetrain, fender and rack mounts, disc brakes for wet Seattle weather, internal cable routing, and flat black anodized paint. But now that I have built up ... Read More »

Help me outfit a Tricross Comp

So I'm really interested in the 2013 Tricross Comp, but I'm not really sure what kind of accessories to get for it. A good seat bag? Who makes a good one? I won't be touring on it but I may use it to commute to work. I'll mainly use it for road rides, and some light trails. Mountain bike pedals ... Read More »

My new 2013 Tricross Comp disc

My new 2013 Tricross Comp Disc Updated Ultegra components. Added (2) Bontrager RL Water bottle cages Bontrager Race Lite Aerobars Still have to put the rear rack and fenders on for the commuter look.Read More »

What else do I need to know if I want to put 29'er on a '13 Tricross Comp Disc

I'll soon be picking up a '13 Tricross Comp disc, which is 100mm/135mm (F/R). I was told I can use 29'er wheelsets. Now, can I just build any 29'er wheelset with discs? Are there any other specs I need to know from the bike that will enable me to build a 29'er wheelset?Read More »