Specialized Tricross Elite Disc Apex Cyclocross Bike

MSRP : $1900.00

Tricross Elite Disc is the perfect do-it-all bike for anything from trails to commuting to touring, with rack/fender mounts and secondary brake levers. Disc brakes for all-weather control, plus quick, light 10-speed SRAM Apex components.

Submitted by kitsapken a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth ride, durable wheels, versatile frame and component mix.

Weaknesses:    tires, handlebar grip tape, brakes

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2013 Specialized Tricross Elite Disc with Shimano Tiagra drivetrain. Purchased new from LBS for $1500 two weeks ago primarily for commuting and weekend road rides. This is my first "road" bike and I'm coming off a 29er that was set up as a commuter. I chose the Tricross Elite Disc over a Salsa Vaya for two reasons; weight and shift levers. I didn't care for the bar end friction shifters on the Vaya.

The Tricross handles extremely well compared to other road bikes I tested. Coming from a 29er, the Tricross is a very stable platform and good transition into road biking. I have over 250 miles on it and can't believe how effortlessly this bike rides. I can rider longer and faster without the sore knees. The Tiagra 10-spd drivetrain works and shifts great and worth the $300 upgrade over the Tricross Sport Disc with Sora 9-spd components if you intend to put miles on your bike. If it's going to sit in the garage most of the time, get the Tricross Sport. I also like the little touches such as, internal cable routing and eyelets for fenders and rack mounts. There is tons of tire clearance front and back for wider tires if you want to take it over rough terrain and trails.

I've used Avid mechanical brakes on my mountain bikes and surprised Specialized did not use the BB7 with inner and outer pad adjustment on the Tricross Elite. I will be swapping out the BB5's soon, but for now they're adequate. Compared to rim brakes the BB5 still stop way quicker. I haven't used the secondary cyclocross brake levers much, but they're handy to have and I like the little bell that screws in the top of the lever.

The grip tape is easy to replace, but was Specialize used an old school leather-like material instead of the softer compound found on their road bikes. I guess it goes with the theme of the bike (cyclocross/touring/gravel grinder). I switched it out to the Specialized Phat bar tape and double wrapped it for optimal comfort.

I listed the tires as a weakness because yesterday, the rear tire had a sidewall blowout as i was doing 22 mph down the bike path. I instinctively hit the brakes only to hear my rim grinding on the asphalt. Luckily I was 2 miles from bike shop and weather was nice so hoofed it over with bike on shoulders. Kudos to Performance Bike for letting me use their tools to fix my rim and selling me a cheap tire and tube to get me back to my vehicle. Dropped bike off at my LBS today and they are supposed to have a factory warranty guy come by Monday to look at it. Several online searches showed that Specialized tires with Armadillo technology have been known to have sidewall blowouts. Aside from this mishap, the tires run smooth and have lots of grip. Maybe I got a bad tire or it was installed incorrectly. Hopping the replacement tire and wheel hold up (I'll update this review on how that went).

I gave it an overall rating of 4 because of the tire blowout. Looking forward to many more miles on this bike. I really love how easy it is to ride and the versatility for me to set this up as a commuter, road bike or gravel grinder. It's a "Jack of all Trades" and Specialized checked off all the boxes when they came out with the 2013 Tricross platform. From a mountain bike guy I could not be happier!

Purchased At:   Old Town Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Specialized bar Phat tape, Crank Bros Candy pedals, Silver SKS P45 fenders with Rainy Day Biking reflective mud flaps, Topeak tool bag, Fuel Tank and Explorer rack with Banjo Brothers water-proof panniers, Niterider Lumina 350 headlight and Cherry Bomb tail lights.