Specialized Tricross Expert Double Cyclocross Bike

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

The TriCross Expert’s E5 SLX aluminum frame uses a Campy-style integrated head tube. FACT seatstays with Zertz inserts absorb vibration, so you feel fresher, longer. The S-Works TriCross monocoque carbon fork features a Speed Zertz insert for an extra measure of vibration damping. The 3D-forged Pro-Set alloy stem joins perfectly with the large-diameter handlebar for a solid connection. The Specialized Comp handlebar has a hand-friendly ergonomic shape; the 31.8mm stem clamp area makes for ultra-responsive steering. The Roval Pavé SL wheelset comes ready to rock, with an E5 alloy mid-profile aero rim, cold-forged alloy 5-spoke high flange hubs, and DT aero spokes.

Submitted by larry

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2013

Strengths:    It's a light bike. The tires are fairly tough. It has fair and inexpensive braking. It doesn't rust as a cause of deterioration.

Weaknesses:    Very Weak Drivetrain... Costs plenty of money.. Almost unreplaceable Crank...Wheels are not as tough as advertised.

Bottom Line:
Costs alittle much for a great frame but very weak, deceptive components....Need a whole tool set to repair. On the positive; Easy riding bike... Can take some dirt tracks...Climbs well. Conclusion; TI like Fuji in this price range..

Submitted by Dragan Draganov a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    stif frame, comfort ride, excelent turning

Weaknesses:    a bit expensive. there is single specialized retailer in my country. No comptenece on the marked.

Bottom Line:
exelent frame set. I purchased a frameset separately and put on it Shimano Ultegra Triple drivetrain. Brakes - Avid 4. Own 2 weel sets, Shimano Ultegra 6700 for road riding and Another build on Mavic CXP 22 rims on Borough CX tyres for offroad. Bike behave exelent in both roles. Light and stiff frame for comfortable ride despite on or off road. This bike allows me to compete on speed with non-proffesional road riders but gives me opportunity to ride at higher speed on bumpy roads wile they slow down to prevent damage to their expensive carbon toys. I do some mountain rides from time to time and I do realy enjoy the versatility of application of those bicycle. I would highly recommend such experience, tricross expert is an excelent frameset, build for offroad excursions while maintaing the speed.

Purchased At:   2010

deraileurs: Shimano Ultegra FD6703 RD6700-GS
Brakes cantilevers Avid Shorty 4 and Tioga brake pads

Submitted by gclugz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Strengths:    Bike handles great and is reasonably comfortable with the zerts and carbon fork and carbon chain stays. The bike get to speed quickly and in control.

Weaknesses:    None so far except the Shorty 4 might have to go soon.

Bottom Line:
This is for a 2010 Tricross Expert recently purchased on Ebay. Bike is the standard Expert Double with Sram Rival shifters, Shorty 4 Brakes, Roval Wheelset. Just like the website shows. Having looked for a speedy commuter and an off road challenge bike that does everything - this bike does it all --- so far.

Favorite Ride:   AM with the sun coming up

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Felt FX1

Bike Setup:   2010 Website Specialized Archives Tricross. Expert Double.

Submitted by river rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2011

Strengths:    Zerts gizmos on the fork and seatstays seem to work well. My Allez elite also has them. The geometry works well with low speed and off road adventures. Nice stiff carbon fork tracks accurately. No canti shimmy noted. Plenty of clearance for really fat cross tires.

Weaknesses:    When the weather is dry, not my choice for speed work. Be careful not to get too rough and dirty.. Its not a mountain bike. Be prepared to have dirt and mud fly on you if you don't keep your fenders on.

Bottom Line:
2010 version. This is a great all around bad weather or rough road bike. I've got other road bikes when speed is the goal. But when the weather is bad and just getting out and riding is the goal, the Tricross is the ticket. Went out on several bad days with the goal to ride as far as I could before the rains started. When the rains came, I would then turn back home. So much fun. I saw roadies going out as well with their nice shiny carbon units. I smiled to myself when the rain and hail came down. As I zipped up my exta layers and headed back home, they were caught in the storm with skinny tires and tight geometries. I did just fine during the 15 mile ride home. The bike handles well enough in the dry weather. I have spare wheels that give me the option to switch to narrower 30mm cross tires to speed up things. When the weather gets bad, the bike shines. I've got the weight down to about 20 pounds. Nice to ride off the asphalt and enjoy the scenery again, but then have the option to speed things up when back on pavement. Really beats my mountain bike for speed.

Favorite Ride:   american river trail

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   My only cross bike. I have mountain bikes (titanium hard tail, alloy suspension) and several road bikes (titanium, carbon, steel, and allum).

Bike Setup:   2010 Tricross expert alloy frame with carbon zertz fork and carbon zertz seatstays. Ulegra triple gears. Shimano bar ends. FSA cantilevers, Paul cross levers, Ritchey WCS stem, American Classic titanium seat post, either prolink (dry weather) or WTB race (wet weather) saddles. Time MTB pedals. Cinelli cork tape, Portland radbot 1000 tail light (really bright), "THE" fenders front and rear (really light).

Submitted by scotty4u a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Extremely stiff frame! Stand up and pedal and the power transfer is immediate. The Zerts inserts in the carbon seat stays and seat post do absorb quite a bit of vibration. The FACT carbon fork is amazing compared to what Im used to.

Weaknesses:    Too soon to tell. I have an extra custom built wheel set that Im sure will add 5 mph + if I swap it out with the stock Roval Pave' s. My experience with stock Specialized wheels and spokes are not good. I admit Im a clydesdale. But when you're spending 2000+ dollars on a bike I expect that nothing breaks.

Bottom Line:
Just finished my first 11 mile shakedown ride on my new 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert. I traded in a 2009 Specialized Allez double and a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29. The retail on the Tricross was 2200 minus a 9% Louisiana sales tax. The out the door prices was substantially less due to the trade in's and a great LBS owner. Me? Im 50, 255, and 6 ft 1 inch. Been into cycling on and off since the mid 80's but just got serious about in the past year. My routes range from 10.5 to 38 miles. I dont race.

The bike came with a Cane Creek carbon head set and SRAM Rival components Although they are by no means broken in they seem to be spot on. The cantilever brakes seem to brake as well or better than the brake sets on my previous bikes despite having read reviews to the contrary. The fit and finish are flawless. Although Im not using it the bike does come with a third water bottle mount under the down tube.

I will update this in about a month once I have the bike dialed in and back from it's 30 day breaking service.