Surly Cross-Check Cyclocross Bike

4.68/5 (41 Reviews)

• Store Price

Surly dealers are prohibited from shipping complete bikes to the following countries: Canada, Australia, the UK, Japan, Germany, the Netherlands, France, Finland, New Zealand, the Philippines, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, and Ital...

Submitted by Kevin

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2014

Strengths:    Steel frame, a bit heavy... if you push a pencil around all day. The frame rocks, as do the parts that come w/ the stock bike. It's called getting a stand and getting your hands dirty every 2 weeks. If that's not your style bring it in + have a minimal tune-up (major $80 tune-ups are wastes unless you have a major issue) every 6 mos. to a year. the Shimano parts haven't failed me once and I love the bar end shifters. Also you can arrange the seat for (x)positions depending on what your doing. Finally, I love Surly and their attitude. It's like "just ride + quit the complaining".

Weaknesses:    At first I thought the lack of color choices, I mean gravy brown? Now I get it. The saddle is poor + I replaced it. I bought Continental all weather tires b/c they're faster in the city and won't slide out from under you in the rain, but kept the stock tires.

Bottom Line:
I've never been on the road (mostly city riding in Bay Area) with a problem I couldn't fix. The bike is light for steel unless weighed down with panniers (get a biking bag). I love clipless steel Shimano pedals on mine and keep it clean and lubed. I don't forsee ever ridding myself of the Surly. I love it's ability to be anything you want, accommodating the rider in all weather and road/path conditions. Stop the whining.

Submitted by crazy gal on a bike

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2014

Strengths:    The steel frame. Yes - steel. I've ridden everything but titanium, and steel just flat out works. This bike is no exception. The fit - This frame fits great - no problems there. Versatility - there isn't anything I can do on this bike that doesn't work - tour, ride, road, fire trails, single/doubel track.

Weaknesses:    Mine was not a stock build - so no issues with brakes or cranks.

Bottom Line:
Overall - gotta say I love this bike. Bought it off craigslist - got a great deal on a full build. It is great!!! I put different tires on it from what came with it - Schwalbe smart sams in 700 X 40. Great ride, handles great - makes me smile while riding it. Bought with plan to ride on fire roads near my home - it does this beautifully. It will also see some canal work and singletrack work as well. I may even take it on a short tour. Can't say enough nice things about it.

Submitted by Mike S

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Strengths:    Versatile, smooth steel ride, predictable handling, did i mention Versatile?

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Even with versatility and durability in mind, 7lbs for a 52cm frame set seems a bit under achieving. Stock parts are weak

Bottom Line:
This frame set embodies versatility like no other. That being said, it does everything well, but nothing excellent. (well, I dont think i'd take it down hill mbt) I built this up as my commuter to keep my 6700 series equiped Ti bike from getting stolen. I purchased this frame from my LBS and built it up mostly with NOS 6500 ultegra components(chain, cassette (12-27), hubs, shifters), the crank set (compact road) f/r derailluers are 5600 105. The wheels are Ultegra hubs on 32h open pro's with 28c panaracer T-serve's. I built it with a fairly relaxed geometry, it is the same length saddle to hoods as my other bike but the bars are about 2 inches higher. Every now and then I find myself wondering if the 5-6 lb differance is worth the 3k differance in price between the bikes. I kept the stock breaks and they work well but are a bit of a pain to adjust correctly, or so you dont have to deflate the tire to remove a wheel.

Strengths - Rides real nice, stiff but not abusive, and versatility. I tossed an 11-32t sram 970 cassette and some 35c tires on this thing (looked like a burly rigid 29'er) and took it on a 180k dirt road/jeep track/goat path ride and it did great. I wished I had a granny gear a time or two, (15000ft + climbing :/ ) but that isn't the bikes fault. I ride it to and from school everyday averaging 20-21 mph over 14 miles on flatish pavement. It really does anything within reason. Once it gets rolling, it keeps speed well.

Weaknesses - I might be spoiled by my other bike, but this thing is dense. Takes a minute or two to accelerate, but it does keep the speed once it gets there. Frame saver is a must if your riding in areas/at times that use salt on the roads. (I'm in New England) there are a lot of little holes in the fame for salt/water to get in. Fast (30+) descents on dirt .... I dont know if it was my tire choice (35c kenda couriers) or the relatively higher body position to a MBT but it seemed to "under steer" or plow into hard corners a bit. like a "oh s#!%, oh s#!%, oh s#!%, phew" bit

Bottom line - If you don't care to much about weight, the frame set is recommended, especially if you can get it for less than retail. Build it yourself though, square taper bottom brackets and bar end shifters might have been cool in 1973, but there are much better options now.

Submitted by Matt a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    Very smooth riding, does well everywhere I have put it

Weaknesses:    Headset loosens frequently, front derailuer won't adjust perfectly, as others have noted the brakes are a bit weak.

Bottom Line:
For me, this bike was love at first ride. It replaced my 12 year old Trek mountain bike as my everything bike, but is primarily a commuter. I got it in part to upgrade in preparation for my first century ride. I did 3 of them in 5 weeks, and it performed well in each. I have owned the bike for 4 months now, and have put 2000 miles on it commuting and on other pleasure rides. Cycling is fun again, and this bike is the reason why. I can not speak to component quality, although my two gripes are component related. Perhaps you can build a better one for the same price if you are so inclined, but for me this bike rocks right off the LBS floor.

Who should buy it? Anyone that wants a great all around bike
Who should not buy it? Bike snobs that complain about everything that is not perfect in their eyes
what is good about it? It is a steel bike. You won't win the Tour on this bike, but you will have fun. Even at 20+ pounds, I took this bike on the 6 mile climb of Gibraltar Road in the Santa Barbara Century and placed 33 out of over 300 riders. Not bad for a 50 year old dude. Once up top, guiding it across Camino Cielo and down Painted Cave / Old San Marcos Road is a dream.

Favorite Ride:   Up Gibraltar, across Camino Cielo, down Painted Cave/Old San Marcos

Purchased At:   LBS, Velo Pro

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Stock, except with 23mm diamonte tires + rack for commuting, soon to add fenders

Submitted by James Roth

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2012

Strengths:    Frame...Fattie Fitt Fine :)

Weaknesses:    Stock components are crap...don't buy the hype !!! Garbage Garbage Garbage...

Bottom Line:
Frame and Geometery are excellent. I wanted a commuter Bike since at 49 years of age I have no plans to be the winniner of the Tour De Anything. I simply ride on my off days mostly on a local canal path. I have read reviews that say the Cross Check is a good value. NONSENSE. Don't make the same mistake I did...buy the frame and build the bike yourself. The Frame is $400 and the complete bike is $1150. For the additional $750, you could build a sweet bike. There is no way those garabe components ARE WORTH $750. You are going to have to upgrade anyhow!! That said, this is one really nice frame. I have ridden it every day this week and I love the way the frame fits me. Switched out the Lance Armstrong bars for a set of Upright bars and bought a new braking system. Replaced those garbage stock tires with 700 x 35 kevlar tires. I am going to have it painted during the off season. Otherwise I expect this will be my bike for a very long time to come. I love the fact that for the first time I have a frame that can handle anything I want to do with it..."Fatties Fitt Fine". I am very savy at spending my $$ Wisely...I admittly got taken for a ride on this bike. For $750, I could be shifting Ulegra. First and last time I ever buy an off the rack build.
Beware !!!