Trek Boone Cyclocross Bike

• Smooth IsoSpeed decoupler: Rough courses are no match for IsoSpeed technology. Our innovative decoupler doubles vertical compliance so you ride stronger, longer.
  • OCLV Carbon technology: Ultra lightweight Trek OCLV Carbon with built-in Carbon Armor protection flies over the roughest courses and lives to race another day.
  • Pure race geometry: With Katie Compton’s expert input, we’ve tweaked the geometry for a powerful, fast, smooth ride that dominates on the most challenging terrain.

Submitted by Josh

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2016

Strengths:    With this bike, it's all about the frame. The magic begins and ends there!

Weaknesses:    ISP. Though by design, it does have an integrated seat post, but Trek has done something very clever to address the shortcomings of ISP...especially in regards to resale secondary market.

Cable routing is really a pain. If you're going to do major changes to the drivetrain of this bike and change out cables, be forewarned it is a PITA! Like fishing? If not, have your bearing puller ready because you're going to want remove the bottom bracket to get to the cables and housing, or you will spend a bit of time fishing the cables through.

Stock wheels are abysmal...so much drag, but I bought this for the purpose of getting the frame, and building it up to the bike I envisioned.
105 11sp is okay, but soft and mushy. (I'm a SRAM guy and like the positive feedback)

Bottom Line:
I purchased my 2015 Boone 5 Disc from the secondary market (ebay) because the price was too good to pass up! (I got lucky!)
I bought it because I wanted the frame for the IsoSpeed Decoupler technology built in for a well conceived gravel bike. For that use, I can honestly say that the various reviews and all the hype are legitimate! You do get noticeably more flex and comfort out of that system than most anything else, and the way it delivers vertical compliance is worth the money invested into this frame. The Fork is decent. It doesn't live up to the hype that the frame does, but it is a good fork!

I've swapped nearly everything out on this bike....the Force 10sp group from my Spesh TriCross Expert that I built, and had custom wheels built around Pacenti SL25 hoops. After the handlebar swap to carbon, TRP Spyre brakes, Force 1x10 and wheels and even to heavier 40c Clement MSO tires, I dropped over 2lb on the bike!

Additionally I should point out that mine did not come with thru-axles, but no worries, I just built my Pacenti wheels up with hubs that converted to the DT 9mm QR front (thru-bolt) and DT 10mm QR rear (thru-bolt) which turned out great, and a bit more stiff than the normal 5mm QRs.

The frame accelerates with great efficiency with no perceivable flex, it does a good job of muting vibration....especially with the 40c tires. Overall, this is a mile muncher, and that's what I built it for.

It uses an integrated seatpost (ISP) but no fear, Trek offers different lengths/offset options, and there is a significant amount of adjustment in the design. I did swap out the short one for the long version to ensure I am not clamping at the minimum line just to be safe, and also swapped the clamps out to carbon. The change/upgrade is going to run you about $120-$140 (about the same as a carbon seatpost) which is kind of pricey..but its probably the only proprietary part on the frameset.

I will be honest, I do not like Trek as a company....some friends of mine have had bad experience with the company concerning warranties. I still have my reservations, but so far I am very happy with this bike project and the way it performs for the riding I'm using it for.

I have a friend that's waiting on a Lauf CX fork for demo, and want to see how the combination works together. I have a normal Lauf TR29 on a mountain bike, but in my eyes is a better application on a CX..so I'm excited to give it a go!

Favorite Ride:   Great Allegheny Passage

Purchased At:   ebay/built

Similar Products Used:   I own a Specialized TriCross Expert which I built up (I build all my bikes) with Force and custom ROL D'Huez wheels....light fast, compliant...very very good bike well ahead of it's time for the gravel applicaiton.......but it's canti and I wanted to something that was more with the times, but also a frame that fit me better.

I also own a Raleigh RX 1.0 which mostly sees commuter duties. Great bike, but no where close to the Spesh TriCross Expert or the Boone.

If there were one bike I would give a good hard look if I were on the fence and buying, it would be the Norco Search. The trick though is availability because you're reliant on a Norco dealer being close. Trek is in a lot more markets, and much more widely available.

Bike Setup:   2015 Trek Boone 5 Disc Frameset
Trek ISP seatpost with Carbon clamp upgrade and Fizik Aliante Carbon saddle
SRAM Force 10sp, 1x10 with Wolf Tooth 42T (no clutch, never had a drop with short cage derailleur)
TRP Spyre SLC Carbon brakes, Magura Storm SL 140mm rotors (F/R)
FSA K-Force Compact 44cm
Pacenti SL25 wheels with Bitex hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, DT Swiss Thru-bolt front/rear
Clement X'Plore MSO 40c (60 TPI) tires
Easton tape
Shimano XT pedals

Submitted by Mac

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2015

Strengths:    Great Handling, Smooth, Climbs out of the Saddle.

Weaknesses:    Not sealed as claimed.

Bottom Line:
I purchased and raced the Boone built up with Shimano Ultegra 6800 through the last cross season. I was able to stay seated and put down power when other racers were forced out of the saddle by rough courses. Transitioning to standing climbs, the bike reverts from a magic carpet ride to a good stiff climber. Handling was neutral, quick enough.stable enough.
I also use the bike on the road as a winter training bike, the country roads in North/Western VA are beat up and narrow. The bike is perfect for long base miles and handles superbly while taking the edge off bad roads. In comparison to the Domane it is a bit quicker and doesn' feel as long. Its really an ideal blend. I am considering on using it on a couple of road races this year that feature dirt gravel sections. With cyclocross race wheels my 58cm Ultegra, all aluminum cockpit weighs in at 16.8 lbs.

Submitted by evacek

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2014

Strengths:    Great all-rounder, light, stiff, tough! This is the only bike I need!

Weaknesses:    Seatmast assembly requires cleaning monthly to keep from squeaking. Not a big deal once you figure out how/what to clean.

Bottom Line:
Bought this Boone 5 to be my road bike, gravel bike & cx bike. I just switch the wheels around. Sound crazy? Well, it works damn well! I just couldn't find a better looking/sounding bike for $2450 after 10% off. After one season of beating the hell out of this bike through 5 road races, 2 100+ mile gravel grinders, 5 cx races & a zillion training miles of all three, I have not been disappointed! Actually, it was my best season ever. Wether the bike is responsible for that or better training, I don't know. But I can tell you it sure was nice only having 1 bike position to get used to. The bike weighs just over 18lbs with the stock wheels & everything. And the stock wheels, the new bontrager tlr wheels, have been a nice surprise. The stock tektro brakes are wonderful too. Much better than the other Tektro's I've had. Can't go wrong with a Shimano 105 workhorse drivetrain either. Even the grippy stock tires work great for cx, and at 180lbs, I've ran them down to 40 psi on those great wide rims. I do put on burlier tires for gravel rides though. The frame geometry seems to work just as advertised. I never felt myself not being able to handle any course I rode position-wise, and always felt balanced and in position to attack. The Isospseed Decoupler definetly smooth things out. This benefit is huge in a 100+ mile gravel race. It's also noticeable on the road. As for cx, I won my cat in the last event I did on the bumpiest course you could imagine. I did mention above that the seatmast assembly needs cleaning monthly or so. It creaks when dirty. Easy to clean after you figure it out. By the way, for $1200 more the Boone 9 is only 1 pound lighter. My buddy bought one after he saw how well the Boone 5 worked for me. Loves his too! Another buddy bought a $3000 carbon Specialized Crux and it weighs 24 lbs stock. Are you kidding me! I hope this quick review helps!

Favorite Ride:   All of them.

Submitted by Suzuki43

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2014

Strengths:    Engineering, craftsmanship, and low weight

Weaknesses:    None that I can say at this time.

Bottom Line:
AT this point I have not completed my build. It eventually will have SRAM 22 (Red Cranks), TRP HY/RD brakes, wheels yet to be decided!

Favorite Ride:   Stevens Carbon Team