Trek XO 1 Cyclocross Bike

Pedals: Shimano PD-M515 SPD
Tires: 700 x 32c Bontrager Jones CX

Submitted by Vince P.

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff/strong frame, comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    Poor wheel reliability, poor shifting (small to large crank ring)

Bottom Line:
The many years of riding centuries and forest preserve trails took their toll on my 1996 Cannondale R500 7-speed RSX componentry to the point where I could no longer acquire 7-speed parts (namely a bottom bracket).

I purchased the X01 in April of 2011due to the wide range of gearing that the new SRAM Apex Group provided in a double and the increased seasonal capability that a cyclocross format could provide (38Cs in the fall/winter months and 28Cs in the spring/summer months. However, a little over a year later, I find myself wondering what marketing genius at Trek spec'd this bike.

The Bontrager SSR wheels have been a COMPLETE disappointment. Specifically, the rear wheel has been serviced five times for spoke-related failures (my 16 year-old Mavic CXP-10s never gave me any grief). In fact, I will be taking the rear wheel back to my local bike shop on Monday to have them figure out why so many of the spokes have loosened-up yet again.

The SRAM Apex drive train works flawlessly - only right after it is cleaned. Once it gets a little dirty, the transition from the smaller ring to the bigger ring is hit or miss (mostly miss). That is surprising for a bike that is designed for a competition in muddy environments, and most of my riding is along the Lake Michigan bike trail.

Rear derailleur shifts are crisp; both loaded and unloaded. However, do not use a citrus-based cleaner on the derailleur cage - it will remove the gloss black finish on the cage.

The 10-speed arrangement has one additional flaw - the SRAM 10-speed PowerLOC. While the concept is the same as SRAM's PowerLINK, the PowerLOC variant is only good for one shot. Disengage it to clean your chain and it needs to be replaced. Since a new one only costs ~ $5, it won't break the bank, but can add up over the life of the bike.

I paid $1600 for this bike; a bit steep for someone with two kids in college, but my intention was to invest in something that would last me another 16 years. While the frame and fork may last that long, I see a Mavic wheel and Shimano componentry swap in my near future.

Submitted by cyclist5 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable touring frame, Shimano 105 shifters, 20 gears, a better value for utilitarian cycling than a racing bike

Weaknesses:    Brakes - the cantilever brakes on my Trek 7000 felt like they had more stopping power than the V-brakes on here. But, riding through mud once I found the stock breaks to be adequate

Bottom Line:
I have the 2009 model, not 2007. This is a great bike. I commuted 30mi/day on a 2007 Trek 7000 Hybrid but upgraded after 3 years. It can take anything I throw at it, mountain, mud, you name it. Also the wheels can take as narrow as 23c tires.

Favorite Ride:   Long and Scenic

Purchased At:   Schellers Fitness an

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first road bike period. I rode a Trek 7000 hybrid before this one.

Bike Setup:   Stock Set up.

Submitted by EASANDROW a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    This bike is great. I am an aggressive 255lbs rider/racer. I'm new to the cyclecross community, but this has held up to the test. The SRAM Apex has been great - coming from Shimano Ultegra on the Road Bike. It's supper smooth and efficient. The 11-32 gearing on the rear is nice to have on some of the steeper climbs.

The bike is weighing in @ 19.5lbs with Deep V Velocity Tandem Wheelset. So farely light bike

Weaknesses:    Only weakness that I can think of is truely the rider.

Bottom Line:
2011 Trex XO1 not a 2007....

Favorite Ride:   any/all

Purchased At:   Pete's Bike & Fitnes

Bike Setup:   Stock bike except for the wheels. Using Deep V Velocity (Tandem Wheelset) for Cycle Cross races.

Submitted by alexD a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    Shifting. I know how to dial things in.
Power transfer - it is aluminum, so that's what you get.
Variability. Initially didn't like the stack of spacers, but now I change the bar position depending on the ride. high for commute, flip the step and re-stack spacers for fast rides.
Wheels. Love them. I also swap tires from the 35's to 25's or 23's for whatever I fancy.
Brooks saddle, this is so amazing.
Handling - changed stem to 110mm and it is much better now or maybe I am?

Weaknesses:    crank. Stock 46/38 isn't great for anything. For cross racing you only need 1 ring. So I have a 42 as well. Swapped it for a SRAM 50/36 compact for my road riding, with 36 being better than a 34.
Took a while to get squeal and shudder to go away - different pads, and toe-in, constant adjustment have helped. Now also have a fork brake mount.
If it were easier to get a rear fender on, that would be nice.
Price if it wasn't subsidized. I would look at the Giant TCX1 if I was paying retail - SRAM rival, and decent wheels. I think the new Alum Dales are for commuter's only, but older Dales also rock.

Bottom Line:
2009 XO1, 54cm. First off, the guys at Calgary Cycle held this bike for me for one month while I was waiting for replacement Ins money.
Love it. Not ideal as a roadie but the rider makes the difference. I am 5'9", 190lbs (76cm trees), and this bike fly's when I hammer it. Prefer the bike with the cross tires, but is more than adequate with roadies. Have a Brooks, so my A$$ feels quite comfortable. Have trued the wheels once in 2500km. With the wide range cassette, 12/27, it takes a bit to adjust the shifting but it is dialed in now. With my current tweaking to the brakes I am more than happy and they are defintely powerful. I have thrown a rack on this thing and it was fine, but it impacts the handling which is no surprise as 15 lbs on the rear should do that. Lose the rack for long rides and she zips along.

Favorite Ride:   Springbank loop

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona Jake. Liked it - ideal for commuting.

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105. SRAM compact 50/36, or 46/36, or 42 single. Avid 6 brakes w/Kool Stop pads.
Brooks B17 saddle, and Sella Italia w/cutout.

Submitted by tyler a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Strengths:    fast, handles well, fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    sometimes the gears don't engage and I end up slipping a entire rotation which probably looks funny to anyone who sees.

Bottom Line:
First road bike and didn't really know what cycle cross was until after I got it. I really like this bike its a lot lighter then then trek 800 I rode for the last 13 years. Very light, fast, I ride light trails and commute to work. I love the bike and haven't had any major problems.

Favorite Ride:   wabash trace