Giant Halfway Folding Bike

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Frame Material: Aluxx SL aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: one size fits all
Colors: Silver
Pedals: resin folding
Tires: 20 x 1.50" center ridge all terrain

Submitted by Allen

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    folds easily, light (24lbs) solid and quick ( this is a 2012)

Weaknesses:    none I have found, but just bought it, could be geared for more speed

Bottom Line:
This is my first folder, have road and hybrid bikes. It was surprisingly quick, able to easily cruise 22 to 24 kmph. Looks good and easy to fold. Handles well, good acceleration and solidly built. Am changing the crank to a 56T and the cassette to an 11-32T. Flipping the 48T to use as a lower gear for long climbs, and will switch it manually to save weight and complexity. Also switched out the comfort seat for a good racing saddle (dropped weight to 23.4lbs). I have not ridden any other folders, but looked at the Dahon, but it was much more difficult to fold and weighted considerably more not to mention it cost almost twice as much. The new Giant is $890 msrp.

Submitted by Reviewer1 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2009

Strengths:    The strengths are an all aluminum frame and the single fork tube / single chainstay design, which allows the bike to fold narrower.

Weaknesses:    The folding handlebar stem mechanism, which is prevented from folding down and to the right by a single T-handle bolt. There is no safety catch in the event that bolt breaks - which did on mine. Another weakness is the flimsy plastic chainring guide and cheap chain used on this bike. The chain came off in the first 15 miles of riding and tore the plastic guide from one of the sheet metals screws used to attach it to the chainring.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this Halfway from Ebay - and the seller asserted it had never been ridden - and it did appear to be new. He also said it was a 2008 Model. The two minor issues that I had with this bike included the tendency for the chain to come off; and that the plastic guide ring on the chainring was of no use as it broke in the first 15 miles of usage. I then upgraded the chain and put on a more substantial crankset - allowing me to enjoy commuting on this bike for almost 500 miles until the T-bolt, which is designed to be loosened or tightened by hand to allow the stem to fold broke while I was riding the bike. The stem immediately folded to the right and back. The broken portion of the bolt with the T-handle went zinging out into the other traffic lanes. I was lucky that the vehicle behind me was able to steer around me as the bolt broke while we were both accelerating to get through a traffic light. I was slammed hard to the ground - so hard that bystanders were asking if I needed an ambulance. I won't go into my injuries but they were substantial but not permanent to my right side and could have been worse had I not been wearing a helmet. I'm still watching the fingernail on my little finger of the left hand grow back after being smashed in the crash; and I'm writing this over two-months after the bolt broke. I've contacted Giant but have not received a response. I will never ride a Giant Halfway again as I believe the bike is inherently dangerous if the bolt is so weak that it breaks while the bike is being ridden. Persons in countries where they drive on the leftside of the roadway should be concerned as the driver behind me may not have been able to avoid me had I been thrown into traffic - instead of toward the curb with the stem folded to the right. That is why I don't even believe the bike ranks a 1 rating (the lowest I can give).

Favorite Ride:   Giant Halfway

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Brompton T-5
Giant Revive (Non-folding Semi-recumbent)

Submitted by Chamada a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Easy enough to fold.
Good looks.
Nice saddle.
Sturdy grips.

Weaknesses:    Could use stronger brakes.
Really weak gearing.
Single-side fork makes it clumsy to walk with - it pulls to the right.
Handlebars seem a little unstable. If you pull up when riding up hill it feels a bit wobbly.

Bottom Line:
(It's a 2009 but year choice is validated pulldown that doesn't go past 2007)
Several people convinced me that a folder would meet my sudden need to bring my bike into my office and still give me the fun, hard-kicking commuter ride I get on my full size bike. I wasn't expecting to jump curbs, but I was hoping for a good workout. I've been disabused of this notion after my first week of trying. I'm not sure about all small-sized folders, but the Halfway is only good for slow, gentle rides. It feels unstable to me. It's got some nice details. The saddle is nice. I rather like the frame. The grips are sturdy and comfy. But I got a bad steer about it being a bike I could ride hard and be happy with. Not even close. My plan is to sell it and try a full size folder with more realistic gearing. Montague MX I think.

Favorite Ride:   green market

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Standard. Added only bike computer and lights.

Submitted by karen3301 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2006

Strengths:    Very compact, folds easily.
Does not need a bike rack to transport
Slick running, seems rugged.
Attractive silver color
Apartment friendly
great short distance commuter, park rides

Weaknesses:    Horrible seat!!! replace immediately!
20 inch tires give bumpy ride
Somewhat pricey, seems well-made
Would be uncomfortable for long rides

Bottom Line:
I live in an upstairs apartment and did not want to mess with a bike rack--so I looked at folding bikes. I am relatively new to cycling, so I cannot offer expert feedback on components etc. I bought this for convenience, which it offers. I can quickly fold this bike and put it in the back seat of my small car. It has 20 inch wheels that offer compactness but also a rather bumpy ride--this bike is strictly for smooth paved surfaces!! It also had the WORST seat I EVER sat on and had to replace it the first week--or the bike would gather dust. It is attractive, seems very durable, folds easily and is very compact. It seems to shift easily, comes with fenders and a rack. The pedals fold, also. It gives a nice ride for short excursions--would not take all all day trip with it.

Favorite Ride:   bicycle path in metropark

Purchased At:   bike store

Similar Products Used:   Never had a folding bike before.

Bike Setup:   No set up--it came assembled and was set up initially by the bike shop. It unfolds without requiring special tools.

Least expensive TT wheels that are halfway decent?

Any suggestions? I don't exactly have thousands to spend on wheels... I'm more than open to buying used, but rbr classifieds, ebay, etc. never seem to have anything doable. Also, can fixie rear disc (track) wheels be rebuilt with road hubs?Read More »

Vuelta Predictions at Halfway?

Is Landis going to hold on, he's been vulnerable so far in the mountains? Heras and Nozal look like a formidable duo, Mancebo is lurking, Beltran still in the hunt, while Valverde is hurting. Menchov and Aitor G. would have to really rally to get back in the GC hunt. I think Valverde would be th ... Read More »