Bianchi Boardwalk Hybrid Bike

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Frame Material: 7005 aluminum
Frame Angles: 71.0 head, 73.0 seat
Sizes: 16", 18.5", 21", 23", Step-through 16.5"
Colors: Black, Orange
Headset: 1 1/8" VP
Front Der: Shimano Nexave
Crankset: Shimano Nexave FC-T400, 28/38/48 teeth
Rear Der: SRAM ESP 5.0
Pedals: Wellgo road w/clips and straps
Tires: 700 x 38c Kenda Kwest

Submitted by Rufus a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Aluminum frame, strong brakes, strong wheels and tires

Weaknesses:    Front and Rear Sram x4 leaves a lot to be desired.

Bottom Line:
Bianchi Boardwalk is a tough urban hybrid bike. Riding position is good. Brakes are very strong. Sram Sx4 shifting could be improved. Tires are extremely tough and will holf 80lbs. Overall a great commuter for 20 miles/day.

Favorite Ride:   NYC commute

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki Villager 3 speed

Submitted by aharong a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Snappy brakes.
Wide range of gears.

Weaknesses:    The SRAM 5.0 shifters

Bottom Line:
My wife has a Trek 1000c road/comfort bike that she really likes. I am trying to get her on a touring bike because she frequently tows 1-2 kids in a trailer and she needs a wider range of gears. I thought the Boardwalk, with its 11-32 rear cassette, would be a reasonable alternative. It's not!

The gearing is great. And I like the effectiveness of the V-brakes. But the shifters are complete crap (at least on the model I rode).

We are accustomed to index shifting. You click a lever and you get the next gear, no hassles. The SRAM 5.0 on the bike I rode are essentially friction shifters with numbers painted on. It requires too much attention to shift onto the next chainring and then back off the tension a little so that the derailluer doesn't rub.

I guess this is what you expect in a certain price range. My personal advice, if you can spend a little more, get a bike with true index shifting. You'll love it.

Favorite Ride:   American Tabaco Trail, Durham NC

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Stock + weird doughnut shaped gel seat cover

Submitted by Eric Williams a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, pretty fast for a hybrid, brakes. Gets a lot of attention.

Weaknesses:    Shifting could be a little better. Gets a lot of attention

Bottom Line:
Very solid ride. Handles like it's on rails. Fairly smooth ride, but a little rough on the bump since there's no shocks. I was looking at the Trek 7200 FX when I bought this, but every time I take it out for a ride, I am so thankful that I decided to get the Bianchi instead.

Purchased At:   Eric's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Odessa (wore it out to the point it wasn't worth fixing)

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock. Added a stem riser, rack and small bags, Cateye Mity 8, Garmin GPS, and Salsa Delgado rear wheel.

Submitted by Ryan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, extremely inexpensive, fast.

Weaknesses:    Rough ride, some slight shifting problems.

Bottom Line:
All aluminum with no shocks so it is a rough ride. It is so darn light, though. I compared it with Trek and others in this price range and they were all much, much heavier. This thing is crazy fast for an inexpensive bike. I have 200 miles on it and would definitely say it is a good bike for the price.

Favorite Ride:   Bianchi

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village Auro

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by C Nieves a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight and responsive.

Weaknesses:    None considering the price paid.

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the 2008 Bianchi Boardwalk. This bike is an excellent buy: comfortable, reasonably fast and responsive. The gear shifting was pretty smooth.

Favorite Ride:   Bianchi Boardwalk