Cannondale Bad Boy Disc Hybrid Bike

• Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by davud scott

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2014

Strengths:    built strong put a lot into for frame proctection. Love the style, have not had a chance to ride it yet. but displaying it, i am just in awe just looking at it.Had alot of OMG gorgeous bike comments never seen anything like it.

Weaknesses:    seat, but put a gel seat cover over it

Bottom Line:
    FENDERS
    topeak defender eye glow set up is easy and the fender is really cool on it. the clamp fits through the opening above the rear wheel and mounted it on the down frame.
    front, bought a planet bike splash guard, put a notch in the center so it will sit flat in the angle frame. the notch was put in because of a eyelet that holds the cable. I then put on the 2 rubber strap. the bike is even beefier withe fend and front splash guard on them. TOTALLY AWESOME
    D.R.Scott

Submitted by rnew a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    Fast and quiet with quality components. Other bikes advertise belt drive for quietness but this bike is just as quiet. I dont hear a thing. No chain suck!

Weaknesses:    At this time, I dont know of a fender for the front wheel because of the lefty fork.. In addition, the tires can be a weakness but at the same time, depending on road conditions, it can be a plus. This iis the only reason for the 4 rating. Tire uncertainty.

Bottom Line:
    My review is for the 2012 Bad boy 5. I think it is a great commuter bike. I do not trust the tires completly though. I busted my butt going over a small curb and land on top of a smooth well rounded speed bump and I had planned on going off of the speed bump and onto the road from there. Next thing i know I, the front tire slid out from under me and I was on the ground. That being said, other then that, this bike iis just plain fast and very easy to get rolling. I also love the fact that i can get the buuilt-in head light for the handle bars. It weighs 26 pnds and has a wide gear range. I have no problems with hills. Lately my arthritis has been hurting and the weather has been too cold for me to ride fast but on one occasion I still managed to push out 31 mph on flat ground. During warmer weather I'm pretty sure I can hit 35 and probably 40 down hill. The smoothness of the bike is also important too and at 105 psi, I have no problems with bumps. I also would like to mention the seat. Many people buy new bikes and have to change out the seat. I have even read of older bad boys being bought and they have to change out the seat. I even had to change out the seat on my cannondale mountain bike. That will not be the case this time. They even thought about the seat this time. While it may not be soft and cushy, it feels almost as if I am sitting on NOTHING. It is porportioned and supportive exactly right and I can probably last for a 100 miles.

Favorite Ride:   Every where

Purchased At:   Chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale f9

Bike Setup:   Shimano deore and alivio components.

Submitted by Giantcfr1 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Strengths:    As it's a "Made in the USA" model, it has a very strong paint job with a dupont coat so it rarely gets scuffed. It's welds are smooth and beutifully finished.

Weaknesses:    The spring in the Avid BB5 calipers both front and back snapped after just 13 months and I couldn't get replacements. The rear SUN rim developed cracks around the eyelets after only 7 months. This bike has never been ridden "off road".
    The stock pedals were crap.

Bottom Line:
    I replaced my full carbon Giant with the Cannondale after an accident cracked the Giant's fork. I wanted something that could handle city riding and a frame I could have confidence in.
    The Bad Boy's M size geometry perfectly fits my body. This bike is by far the most comfortable bike I've ridden in a city situation and I absolutely love riding it. What first attracted me to it was the all black look BUT I quickly got bored with the black black and more black look, so I had to add some colour.
    I wanted to make it even more road / city compatible so I made some changes to the gearing ie. triple to double chain rings, swapped the deraileur to a short cage shimano ultegra and swapped the cassette to a road. For the shimano deraileur I had to marry it with a Deore shifter as the stock Sram has a diff. actuation. I also run 700 x 23 slicks.

Favorite Ride:   2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc

Purchased At:   LBS Kyoto

Submitted by mick_tissa a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    Handling at higher speeds.
    Tuff, Cool looking bike. I like the black matt coloured finish.

Weaknesses:    The bike is a bit heavy, my sons Giant ATX 1 hard tail is way lighter.
    The Med Frame is a little to big for me.

Bottom Line:
    I find the bike to be a firm, fast, commuter, I have only ever owned MTBs, so this is my first road bike and I am loving it. I'm finding my self taking the long way to and from work. It is the bike I should have brought years ago, and as I have been clocking up more k's I have also found a new found love for riding again. The brakes are great for a cable disc type and the sram shiffters are awsome. I test rode the Kona Dr Dew which was also a nice ride and the Kona PHD which also an awsome ride.

Favorite Ride:   Bad Boy Disc

Purchased At:   Bicycle Express

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dr Dew
    Kona Phd
    Giant CRX Zero
    Avanti Blade
    Specialised Sirrus

Bike Setup:   Shimano PD-A530 Pedals.
    Conti GP4 Duraskin 700 x 25C Tyres.
    Sram X9 shifters and rear derailleur.
    Sram 11-26 Rear cogs.
    HID Technologies Lumen8r-LED Quad light.

Submitted by Leland a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, beefy frame, quick gearing, nimble & fast. Too fast to be labeled a hybrid.

Weaknesses:    Not really a mountain bike, and not really a road bike, either. And, yes, it's really a silly name, although I've involuntarily said it myself (as in, "Man, look at that bad boy...").

Bottom Line:
    One of the other reviews mentioned putting slicks on a mountain bike to create a badass street bike. That was my plan when I went to the shop to get street tires for my eight-year-old Schwinn mountain bike.

I can't remember how, but I kinda let myself get talked into checking out other bikes, and I was pointed towards last year's Bad Boy Disc that was on clearance. I took it for a test ride, and man, it was fun. It's my first "legitimate" road-specific bike, so I was impressed by the agility of the light, skinny wheels & tires and by how the fully rigid bike translates every pedal movement into forward motion (no bouncing like on my hardtail MTB).

I think it looks fantastic, too. It seems purpose-built for banging around city streets.

I'm not sold on the idea of putting 26" knobbies on it for off-roading, though. If I had gotten a Bad Boy Ultra, then yeah, I could see myself getting a second wheelset and selling my Schwinn. But, I think that offroad duties are best handled by bikes with some form of suspension (you never race a Lamborghini on hardpacked snow & gravel, do ya?), so I'd use this bike strictly for roads & streets.

It's not exactly a road bike, either. The seating position is high enough to not be aerodynamic, and the MTB handlebars don't allow you to tuck at all. I've actually begun to think about getting a purpose-built road bike to take on long, fast runs up & down the Potomac.

So, it's not a road bike, and it's not a mountain bike. It's also too racy to be a hybrid, and it's not laid out like a comfort bike. Instead, it's a damn fast city bike with a stable, wide-bar riding position and a strong frame that doesn't waste any energy through flex.

Cannondale markets this thing as an urban bike. That's exactly what it is, and it appears to do a great job.

Favorite Ride:   Potomac

Bike Setup:   Slightly shorter stem than stock, Crank Bros. pedals (first Mallet C, now Quattro); Ergon grips are next. Got some lights and a fender, too.

Quick 1 or Bad Boy Disc? Input please??

Okay, here's the deal. I've just gotten rid of a Trek 2.3 since now I have a little baby and haven't been able to ride much. I also have a burley carrier for the baby and would love to go on rides with him and my wife, but i didn't like having to put on my bike shoes, shorts, etc, etc, etc, just t ... Read More »