Cannondale Bad Boy Hybrid Bike

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: 71.0 head, 73.5 seat
Sizes: large, medium, small, xlarge, xsmall
Colors: Matte Black
Pedals: Cannondale Octopus
Tires: 26 x 1.00" IRC Metro

Submitted by qaz a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2009

Strengths:    high inflation tires (90 psi).,
fast and relatively light ,
price ,
fun ride,
option to have no suspension,
hopefully not that steal-able,
much, much better than marin hybrid bikes

Weaknesses:    stock saddle is terrible, only a few mm of padding and quite hard.,

components not the best and seem to be getting worse year on year, early bboys had shimano xt and lx now its suntour, sram.,

shifters i dont like (sram x4), the up and down levers are miles apart for some reason, and not very ergonomic at all, need careful positioning.,

being no suspension the 1.3inch tyres seem to pick up the impact from bigger bumps more than race bike tires although i haven't noticed as much vibration from the road as i get in aluminium race bikes. ergon gp1 grips help alot.

theres no mounts on the (2009) frame to install disk brakes if you wanted to.

Bottom Line:
mine is the rim brake 2009 version with no suspension, 1.3inch slicks.
now the important fact that cannondale don't tell you any more, the weight:

on the mechanical scales its just under 11kg, on the electronic scales it varies between 10.8 and 11.5 kg to which you can shave off about a further 200g with all the reflectors removed.

i think for a £400 (which is quite cheap) bike thats a pretty good weight and you can feel its light when riding it. it seems alot of other bikes at this price are head to 13 kg (a carbon scott cr1 is 8kg for reference).
i chose no suspension as it makes the bike lighter, less hassle and ive only read bad things about the reliability of the headshock suspension. same with the v brakes, theyre plently effective enough, alot less hassle and make it less stealable and are cheaper.
i usually ride race bikes and the acceleration of the bad boy was a revelation despite the thicker tyres and lower inflation (90 psi), so im guessing its due to the smaller wheel. it fells nimble, climbs well (due to better acceleration) and i would say ive used race/hybrid bikes that were slower than this. cruising speed is decent, maybe about 2mph less than a race bike max but its not often you get to cruise at the highest speed in the town anyway or due to road surface.
i feel the thinner tires (622x28) that cannondale offer in the 700c wheel size models make the bike less versitile and not really suitable for the occasional dirt track, or off curbs which is what the 26 inch size is good for, its a real do it all bike and wouldnt have a problem using it for 20 mile rides either. might aswell just get a race bike instead if your on 28 sized tire.

Similar Products Used:   marin alp range (avoid at all costs), cannondale r700

Bike Setup:   Frame New Bad Boy V-Brake SI
Fork SI Fatty V-Brake
Rear Shock N/A
Rims Bad Boy DX221 32h 26"
Hubs Formula FM31/FM32
Sizes S,M,L,X
Extras Bad Boy Vise Grips

Submitted by Vitix2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Weaknesses:    It is a certain type of bike, and if you use it for the type of riding that it can best accomodate, it is a damn good bike.

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the rim brake version of the Bad Boy and I appreciate the things that it excels at. I was looking for a do it all ride that would handle every thing from a jaunt around the neighborhood to a 40 miler on a converted railroad path. I test rode a cyclocroos bike and a 29er, but ultimately settled on the Bad Boy. The reason...It seemed to be the perfect balance between the upright comfort of a 29er and the 'distance covering' geometry of a cross frame. It is rather stiff, which I like. It is also stoudt and well suited to a variety of different types of rides. The bike has good ride qualities, but keep in mind that is meant to take the pounding of regular on city roads in a non-competitive mode. so if you are looking for something that is a great climber, lightweight, and has race ready handling, this is not the one. But, if you are looking for a bike that will last you a while, not bring a whole bunch of attention to itself, can take a ponding and still offer a credible ride, this is it.

On the open road, where I'm used to riding a road bike, it seems heavy, somewhat plodding, and overbuilt. On double-track, converted railroad trails and fireroads it seems adequate. In the city, it feels just right, which is what one would expect from a bike of the urban genre. The wheelbase seems longer than one on a mountain bike, which is a benifit when you are ride it on the road. It is unfazzed by potholes, and mild dirt surfaces, and tracks straight with ease. The flip side of this is that it is not as nimble as a mountainbike.

Essentially, it is big strong hybrid, and it performs very well at its' intended purpose. Oh, it looks excellent as well.

all th I considered a cyclocross bike and a 29er oyed with a cyclocross and I t

Favorite Ride:   I like em' all

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Charley H a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    Fast and sleek. Quick response to acceleration.

Weaknesses:    I have a small frame which makes add-ons a challenge. Grips are thick so makes shifting a bit tricky.

Bottom Line:
Like the other reviewer I fell in love with the Bad Boy but I fell in love even before sitting on it. I was searching for a hybrid type bike with more aggressive geometry. I found it at a bike sale for 70% of the regular price with no tax and $70 free add ons. the only problem is that I have had a hard time finding add-ons that fit the fat handle bars, which I've chopped pretty short for downtown ricochet traffic. I'm working out the bugs and finding things that need day to day modifying and tinkering but down to the ground this is a fast sleek machine. It's cockpit is a bit shorter than my previous bike so that's an adaptation for me. May have to go to a longer stem. May substitute the skewers so I don't have to worry about the quick-release wheels getting ripped off.

Love the esthetic; matte black. All my add ons are also black. I ride in black and orange with some green so I like the look.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere the road takes me

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Bike Setup:   Most of the bike is still stock. 700/28c tires. Added some commuting gear such as a rack and fenders. Substituted the cage pedals for big flat black downhill pedals.

Submitted by Stephanie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is sooo comportable, i love the handle bars, the breaks work great, the seat is super comfortable. The thing is strong and durable and can withstand just about anything!

Weaknesses:    Since it's composed of mainly mountain bike components, it definetely doesnt have the speed of a full on road bike. And I dont remember what tires it originally came with, but I made whatever they were go flat when I was test driving it, so immediately switched to armadillos when I got it.

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with this bike the first second that I sat on it. I've had a Cannondale mountain bike for years and I love it, so decided to go with another Cannondale. I wasn't ready to switch to a full on road bike, so the Bad Boy was perfect. The position it puts you in is soooo comfortable; I love it! The components are all pretty hard core, for example the derailers, because they're all mountain bike components. I love the position of the handle bars, and the breaks work great. I havnt had any real problems since I bought this bike, and I've put a pretty good amount of miles on it!

Favorite Ride:   theres a few...

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Thnking of getting a Bad boy

I need your inputs please, I am thinking of purchasing a 2013 Bad Boy 9 and thinking of upgrading the drivetrain. Any suggestions for a crankset upgrade..... Thanks in advance.Read More »

Making your own Bad Boy from an F600

I'm thinking about making my own badboy from a F600 MTB. Some questions I have: Do I just need to get a set of road disc wheels that are 135mm spaced? Do the rotor size have to be the same as the one on the MTB? Does it matter that the C-dale rotors are 4 bolt pattern and most rotors are 6 bo ... Read More »

Hybrid to full road - Cannondale Bad Boy 9

Hi all, I'm a noob. I bought this bike to learn bike mechanics, and to have something a little unique at the end. I've been reading for 2 days solid and I'm left with a few concerns I can't seem to find the answers for, hopefully someone with some experience can help me please? I understand I ... Read More »

New tires for a Cannondale Bad boy 9

I have a 2013 BB9 and want to upgrade to a better tire been looking at the Maxxis Hookworms, the Hollyrollers the Gatorskin Hardshells or theGP 4000s. I want a fast tire with puncture resistance any recommendations appreciated.Read More »

2013 Bad Boy/Urban