Devinci Amsterdam Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: large, medium, small, xsmall
Colors: Unspecified
Pedals: Shimano PD-M520 SPD
Tires: 700 x 32c Michelin Transworld City

Submitted by jzadak a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2005

Strengths:    light (23.3 lbs), great components for the $, wide range of gears for hills, looks hot

Weaknesses:    i have had some issues changing gears on the granny crank, but i bet one trip back to my LBS will fix that.

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money. fast, comfortable, and good looks. after riding a bunch of bikes and doing tons of research nothing touched the amsterdam for the price. to get a ride i liked as much as this i would have had to spend $300 more for another brand. i will ride mostly with my wife (she has a trek fx 7300) and solo longer rides. even at a snail's cadence to stay with the wife, the amsterdam cruises. if you are looking for a comfortable but quick hybrid or a rock solid commuter bike you cant go wrong with this one. only things i will likely change are the pedals to clipless and add some bar ends,

Purchased At:   Hollywood Pro Cycles

Similar Products Used:   kona dew deluxe, fuji royale, scott flat bar

Submitted by global_underground a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2005

Strengths:    Price for what you get. Really light weight and comfortable to ride. The gearing, I feel, is exceptional.

Weaknesses:    Only one minor one...the squealing front brake.

Bottom Line:
After much prodding by my best friend to get riding again (I used to ride a lot in years past...I'd let it go for many years though), I decided to start looking for a "hybrid" bike.

I already have a great road bike. Actually it is 30 years old...an older Holdsworth made of Reynolds 531 aluminum with 100% campagnolo components. It is still a great bike...weighs 24 pounds...and works fine for my pure road biking needs. I also have a much heavier CT bike...a Miraushi...weighs 31 pounds. Though it isn't tough enough for serious mountain biking, it certainly gets the job done on rocky or deeply rutted roads...and its gearing is set for steep hill climbing...a perfect bike for my needs when doing fairly serious off road biking.

SO, that is why I was looking for a good "hybrid"...something between the two bikes I already owned...and something that allows both excellent road riding and trail and fire roads riding as well.

I was looking at some Treks, Giants, Cannondales and Specialized bikes at local bike stores and doing research online as well. One local store also had Devinci bikes. Well, once I zeroed in on the type of bike I wanted and compared these brands, it was obvious that the Devinci bikes were about 20% less expensive than the better known brands...for roughly the same quality.

So, I bought a Devinci Amsterdam from my local bike shop. I love being able to buy from the local folks...just part of my ethics.

I really love this bike...I really do! It is lightweight (23.3 pounds) and I can keep up fairly well with my best friend who is a serious road bike guy. Well, I can keep up with him until its time we part ways and he takes off for hours at a time ala Lance Armstrong, but then again, he's been doing it for years and trains like a fiend. In time, I'll be riding a lot farther with him...but that is only a matter of getting in "bike shape" again. My point is that the Devinci Amsterdam bike I bought is light enough and geared well enough that I can actually keep up with my friend just fine...even though he has a carbon fiber bike that costs in the range of $2300.00 and, of course, has road tires.

The only thing I had a minor gripe about was the front brake squealed like crazy. I took it back to the shop and the guy sanded the front brake pads some and angled them toe-in a bit. This stopped the squeal when using the front brake in most curcumstances. It still squeals when you really stop hard.

The shifting is exquisite on this bike. The bike feels great and I can climb uphill as easily as on my road bike...and fly like the wind going downhill...I've never encountered a downhill wherein I couldn't hit a high gear and still push it. It has all the gears you need for any terrain.

Some nice touches are the carbon front fork and the seat that doesn't make your perineum go numb. I dunno about you, but I never have liked my whole perineum (and all that entails) going numb when I ride.

I will soon change the pedals to clipless ones...Crank Brothers Candy SL's. Maybe I'll replace the front brake...I'll wait a bit longer to see if the squeal completely dies off with some more wear on the brake pad.

Favorite Ride:   Devinci Amsterdam Hybrid

Purchased At:   Paradise, California

Submitted by mr.steevo a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2005

Strengths:    Price. Components. Somewhat obscure name may confuse thieves (Cannondale anyone?). Comfortable fit yet still quick means getting home from work without having to see the chiropractor neighbour down the hall. Carbon fork is light and absorbs some road shock (and looks cool). Canadian hand crafted.

Weaknesses:    The front brakes squeal horribly. I tested other Amsterdam's with my girlfriend weeks later at a different store in a different city and all had the dreaded brake squeal. Black and yellow paint job is ... different, unless you are a bee. Carbon fork is a narrow road fork that limits the width of knobby to 32mm. Also the front brake pads rest on the inside of the fork when released for wheel removal rather than opening completely. The result is that when taking off the front wheel you must wiggle and pull the tire between the brake pads. A wider tire would not fit between the pads when removing the front wheel.

Bottom Line:
For the price there was not a bike that touched the Amsterdam's component package. Carbon fiber road fork, Deore hubs, Deore LX rear derailer, and Michelin puncture protector tires were items simply not available on any other bike below $1000. The clipless pedals, straight laced front wheel and presta valves hints that this bicycle is from a company that has values set in road bikes rather than that of yet another MTB manufacture gone Hybrid. Optimum 61 butted tubes finish off any competition left in the field. Essentially, this is an extremely well spec'd product. The Amsterdam's ride is solid, light, and a nice balance of quick and comfortable while doing the commute home from work. I wanted a bike that can get me quickly through downtown traffic at 4:30, yet still have the durability to take me down hard packed dirt trails on the weekend, and the Amsterdam is able to take both tasks easily. MTBs are excellent for the rough and tumble of off road, but every time I have seen a MTB it was on a paved path or sidewalk. A hybrid like the Amsterdam is everything I wanted in a bike in that it can do a trail or two but will excel at going fast on the road without me having to unfold myself from the bike at the end of the journey. This is a well built bicycle that is made in Canada (even the frame tubes are produced in a plant across the street from Devinci's shop), and for me that was the cherry on top. I'm saving the planet, getting exercise, and supporting a Canadian company. If you want the relaxed comfort of a MTB but can't see a mountain in your future I can not see how you can go wrong with this bike. It has everything you could possibly want for the price.

Favorite Ride:   Devinci Amsterdam

Purchased At:   Edmonton, Alberta

Bike Setup:   I replaced the clipless pedals with a cage/clipless combo so I could ride to the store without putting on cycling shoes. The seat and post were exchanged with a more pedestrian Serfas Deep Groove seat and suspension post so as to ensure my ability to have children in the future. Finally, due to the unrelentless squealing, the brakes had to be exchanged for TekTro Mini-V's. The shorter "arms" were stiff enough to eliminate the vibration causing squeak, with the side benefit of having a nicer "feel". A more linear braking feel was the result.

Electra Amsterdam Royal 8i

So I am down in Florida taking care of my sick(dying of cancer) mom. I have brought my road bikes down here in the past for a little jump on spring training, and well, the number of clueless octogenarians running rampant on the streets scared the shittake out of me! But now that I will be down ... Read More »

Electra Amsterdam / Townie ?

Has anyone ridden an Electra Amsterdam or Townie? Thoughts? Their geometry on these pushes the crankset forward about 4" in front of the seat tube. They call it 'flat foot'. Seems like it would be inefficient and uncomfortable compared to standard upright geometry for a town bike?? [url=htt ... Read More »

Amsterdam ride

I had the great opportunity to spend a few days in Amsterdam, the Netherlands over the new year. I had been to Europe before (France), but I must say Amsterdam was super fun. The bicycle is #1 in that town. Pedestrians look out for bikes; cars look out for bikes. The only people who don't necessa ... Read More »

Occupy Amsterdam CANCELED

"Pot-loving Euro-trippers, start checking Priceline if you want one final hurrah in Dutch "coffeeshops"—the Netherlands are poised to start banning tourists from cannabis-selling cafes with the goal of "combating drug tourism and the accompanying public nuisance." [URL="Pot-loving Euro-trippers, ... Read More »

Headed For France & Amsterdam

The French leg we've got covered, just visiting friends. Does anyone have any recommendations for [I]mid-priced [/I]hotels in Amsterdam central to the usual sites? My wife and I can make the rest up when we get there. Probably a day trip to Delft. Thanks No plans to ride. :mad2:Read More »