Electra Bicycle Company Townie 21 Hybrid Bike

4.62/5 (87 Reviews)

The Townie 21 is perfect for intrepid travelers desiring the most comfortable way to see the countryside. Electra's awesome Flat Foot technology lets you keep your feet on the ground while in the saddle. Pedaling is easy with the quick-shifting Shimano 21-speed drivetrain and the plush saddle, wide tires and SunTour suspension fork make cruising super smooth. Plus, the linear-pull brakes make sure you've got the stopping power you need.

Submitted by Dana

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2016

Strengths:    Comfort comfort comfort! Sturdy but light for size. durable, EASY to put on bike rack, nice looking. Great bike especially for someone with carpal tunnel, or any kind of back, shoulder, arm pain from leaning down or forward to hold handlebars.

Bottom Line:
Love love love this bike! The seat, handlebar, and pedals are all placed so perfectly. I have carpal tunnel, so normally any length ride gets to be quite uncomfortable after a short time. Also way more comfortable SEATING- if ya know what I mean!

Submitted by Vickie

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2016

Strengths:    This is by far the most comfortable, best riding bike I've ever had. My hands would go numb on my hybrid bike but have never experienced it on my Townie. It is worth the money. Do yourself a favor and try this bike if you are looking for comfort. It shifts smoothly and is just a dream to ride. I love being able to place my feet easily on the ground when I come to a stop instead of tilting the bike way over because my seat is so high (that full leg extension is not needed with this bike and I easily achieve 16 mph). I am a pleasure rider - recently retired - but averaging about 300 miles/month. The BEST bike EVER - expertly assembled and tuned by The Bicycle Center in Port Charlotte Florida

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Best Bike Ever

Submitted by Fran

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2015

Strengths:    Nice looking, paint job holds up, shifts well, flat foot technology!, sturdy.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy.

Bottom Line:
Purchased the bike Spring 2013. At first, I wasn't sure about the ride, it is a little different. Took a few trips to adjust, but absolutely fine with it now. I had to get a bike rack that adjusts to its length, and being a woman's style, chose the platform rack and a hitch. I have put over 3,000 miles on it, with no problems. Ride on paved trails and city streets. Even took her up to 18 MPH once (a pit bull was chasing me). 21 Speed is a little overkill for my riding, but I had to have it. Did change out the seat, because it felt like a tractor seat. Tried a gel and it's o.k. Eventually ended with a leather Brooks saddle, minimal padding (really none) and narrow. People were shocked at how much I paid for it, but this is a bike which will last for years and it is far less expensive than the average road bike. I can't say it enough, get your bike from a bike shop if you plan to spend much time on it. If you buy a bike for $150.00 that is what you get. I am really happy with the purchase even after two years of riding.

Submitted by Mary a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, low gear,accessories,light enough to lift up into truck,durable

Weaknesses:    Look a bit dorky on it

Bottom Line:
I purchased a light blue 21 Townie in fall of 2009 and 2 weeks later my husband bought a dark blue one for himself. Since then we have ridden close to 3,000 miles. Every time I get on the bike I remember how much I love it! The seat is comfortable although he switched his out for a gel one, I think the stock one is fine. I like the reciprocal, flat foot technology as it is easy to get on and off. The smooth round tires allow it to roll surprising easily with little drag. The gearing range is quite adequate for rec path riding and we have had no problems not having a low enough gear for steep hills, which we can climb sitting down. We have had no mechanical problems and have them tuned up every summer. I got the rear racks and black Townie bags which attach securely and have two side pockets, a roomy main compartment and a mesh section on the top for tucking maps and carrying handles which can be used for straps to hold a coat. I carry too much stuff! I didn't put a drink holder on mine because it was awkward and instead got the small Townie pouch which straps on the frame. I can put a water bottle in it and there is a nice pocket for phone and chapstick! The only complaint is that all of the zipper tabs on the bags have broken off, I attached rings to solve this problem. We ride in the southeast most of the year on rec paths or rails to trails and then haul the bikes to Colorado in the summer. Sometimes I wish I would look more sporty or speedy while riding, but then I realize that's not me and my Townie is the perfect fit.

Favorite Ride:   Summit County Colorado Rec Paths

Submitted by peter franz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    comfort

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
i just bought my 21D yesterday and cant get off the bike. its that amazing to ride. u will never have to stop after a few minutes and rest ur arms, back or behind. u can ride for miles and miles without stopping to rest .

the aluminum body just hurls u forward with ease and since u r riding a low profile frame u can manuver much better , do tricks or simply get out of any traffic situation much faster than if u were on a taller bike, cuz u can easily put ur feet flat on the ground and stand rather than fall off the bike. wat can i tell u. worth every penny. go get one