Electra Bicycle Company Townie 21 Hybrid Bike

4.63/5 (89 Reviews)

The Townie 21 is perfect for intrepid travelers desiring the most comfortable way to see the countryside. Electra's awesome Flat Foot technology lets you keep your feet on the ground while in the saddle. Pedaling is easy with the quick-shifting Shimano 21-speed drivetrain and the plush saddle, wide tires and SunTour suspension fork make cruising super smooth. Plus, the linear-pull brakes make sure you've got the stopping power you need.

Submitted by Tim Hooper

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2017

Strengths:    Very solid,comfortable,quite,shifting is right there,
Could not be happier ??

Weaknesses:    The seat is very comfortable,but I've found around 10 miles
Into a ride my butt needs a rest,i did buy a gel fitted seat
Cover and now my 15 miles a day is just fine.. ??

Bottom Line:
It has to be the most comfortable bicycle I've ever had,
I'm 65 years old and enjoy riding every day. This is a
Wonderful fit.. 5 STARS Recommended HIGHLY ??

Submitted by Jessica a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2017

Strengths:    Balance, comfort, quality and easy to lift

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I haven't ridden in over 12 years due to knee and hip replacements that limited my range of motion. I went in to Sun Cyclery in Phoenix, AZ to look at another brand of crank forward bike. Josh spent a lot of time with me and ultimately suggested the 2017 Electra Townie Women's Bike. He took the time to listen to me and customize it to my requirements (shorter crank shafts and a seat post that put me back a bit farther to allow me to comfortably pedal). I could hardly contain my excitement as I was pedaling around their lot! I was able to bike again! I got it home and could hardly stop riding it! It is so easy to pedal and shift and safe to stop and put my feet on the ground. I can sit upright and not put pressure on my wrists.

Purchased At:   Sun Cyclery, Phoenix

Submitted by Dana

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2016

Strengths:    Comfort comfort comfort! Sturdy but light for size. durable, EASY to put on bike rack, nice looking. Great bike especially for someone with carpal tunnel, or any kind of back, shoulder, arm pain from leaning down or forward to hold handlebars.

Bottom Line:
Love love love this bike! The seat, handlebar, and pedals are all placed so perfectly. I have carpal tunnel, so normally any length ride gets to be quite uncomfortable after a short time. Also way more comfortable SEATING- if ya know what I mean!

Submitted by Vickie

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2016

Strengths:    This is by far the most comfortable, best riding bike I've ever had. My hands would go numb on my hybrid bike but have never experienced it on my Townie. It is worth the money. Do yourself a favor and try this bike if you are looking for comfort. It shifts smoothly and is just a dream to ride. I love being able to place my feet easily on the ground when I come to a stop instead of tilting the bike way over because my seat is so high (that full leg extension is not needed with this bike and I easily achieve 16 mph). I am a pleasure rider - recently retired - but averaging about 300 miles/month. The BEST bike EVER - expertly assembled and tuned by The Bicycle Center in Port Charlotte Florida

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Best Bike Ever

Submitted by Fran

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2015

Strengths:    Nice looking, paint job holds up, shifts well, flat foot technology!, sturdy.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy.

Bottom Line:
Purchased the bike Spring 2013. At first, I wasn't sure about the ride, it is a little different. Took a few trips to adjust, but absolutely fine with it now. I had to get a bike rack that adjusts to its length, and being a woman's style, chose the platform rack and a hitch. I have put over 3,000 miles on it, with no problems. Ride on paved trails and city streets. Even took her up to 18 MPH once (a pit bull was chasing me). 21 Speed is a little overkill for my riding, but I had to have it. Did change out the seat, because it felt like a tractor seat. Tried a gel and it's o.k. Eventually ended with a leather Brooks saddle, minimal padding (really none) and narrow. People were shocked at how much I paid for it, but this is a bike which will last for years and it is far less expensive than the average road bike. I can't say it enough, get your bike from a bike shop if you plan to spend much time on it. If you buy a bike for $150.00 that is what you get. I am really happy with the purchase even after two years of riding.