Electra Bicycle Company Townie 21 Hybrid Bike

4.61/5 (84 Reviews)

The Townie 21 is perfect for intrepid travelers desiring the most comfortable way to see the countryside. Electra's awesome Flat Foot technology lets you keep your feet on the ground while in the saddle. Pedaling is easy with the quick-shifting Shimano 21-speed drivetrain and the plush saddle, wide tires and SunTour suspension fork make cruising super smooth. Plus, the linear-pull brakes make sure you've got the stopping power you need.

Submitted by Mary a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, low gear,accessories,light enough to lift up into truck,durable

Weaknesses:    Look a bit dorky on it

Bottom Line:
I purchased a light blue 21 Townie in fall of 2009 and 2 weeks later my husband bought a dark blue one for himself. Since then we have ridden close to 3,000 miles. Every time I get on the bike I remember how much I love it! The seat is comfortable although he switched his out for a gel one, I think the stock one is fine. I like the reciprocal, flat foot technology as it is easy to get on and off. The smooth round tires allow it to roll surprising easily with little drag. The gearing range is quite adequate for rec path riding and we have had no problems not having a low enough gear for steep hills, which we can climb sitting down. We have had no mechanical problems and have them tuned up every summer. I got the rear racks and black Townie bags which attach securely and have two side pockets, a roomy main compartment and a mesh section on the top for tucking maps and carrying handles which can be used for straps to hold a coat. I carry too much stuff! I didn't put a drink holder on mine because it was awkward and instead got the small Townie pouch which straps on the frame. I can put a water bottle in it and there is a nice pocket for phone and chapstick! The only complaint is that all of the zipper tabs on the bags have broken off, I attached rings to solve this problem. We ride in the southeast most of the year on rec paths or rails to trails and then haul the bikes to Colorado in the summer. Sometimes I wish I would look more sporty or speedy while riding, but then I realize that's not me and my Townie is the perfect fit.

Favorite Ride:   Summit County Colorado Rec Paths

Submitted by peter franz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    comfort

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
i just bought my 21D yesterday and cant get off the bike. its that amazing to ride. u will never have to stop after a few minutes and rest ur arms, back or behind. u can ride for miles and miles without stopping to rest .

the aluminum body just hurls u forward with ease and since u r riding a low profile frame u can manuver much better , do tricks or simply get out of any traffic situation much faster than if u were on a taller bike, cuz u can easily put ur feet flat on the ground and stand rather than fall off the bike. wat can i tell u. worth every penny. go get one

Submitted by Ant

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    Overall feel of the bike is great! The 21 speeds are good also.

Bottom Line:
Purchased it for riding around w kids in california neighborhoods.(hilly). Purchased the fender kit, carrier rack and enjoy the ride. Grew an itch to do some trails so purchased some heavy tread off road tires, removed the fenders and replced tubes with ooze tubes for self punture repairs. Hit the trails hard and sure nuf was a very comfortable ride! The dip in handle bars is great for leaning into your hill when the grade is very aggressive. When my legs started to weaked, dropped it into the high gear and managed to make it through my ride partially sitting. Looks pretty cool too. Its cool and worth the money. Turn it into a trail bike and you'll love it too!,,

Submitted by isaiah

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, comfortable. No other bike can match its design. Smartest bike on the planet,
no neck or wrist pain anymore. Pleasure to ride!

Weaknesses:    could have been designed with a lighter frame.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, subject closed!

Submitted by David Roach

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, ergonomics

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I started riding a bike to loose some weight. I had 2 Mt. bikes both of which caused my neck and back to hurt due to the position I was in while riding. I searched google under comfortable bikes and found the Townie. This Bike is awesome, a dream to ride. No pain experienced(except the seat) but I found a seat that fit my behind better than the stock seat(which wasn't bad) and all is well. I purchased the 21D and found it to be great on hills. I just wish Electra would sell this bike with all the available options already on it.I bought fenders, lights, and bags as accessories and mounted them myself . The bike looks great and I've gotten compliments on it. Great Bike!