Electra Bicycle Company Townie 8 Hybrid Bike

Pedals: resin
Tires: 26 x 1.95" blackwall

Submitted by Michael Tee a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Strengths:    Riding upright is easier on my wrists. The bike shifts like butter, The 8 speed internal hub is great. Its been years since I rode a bike, and this bike is very comfortable to ride. The FAT FRANK tires roll very easy. The bike has great looks and is definitely a conversation starter. No other bike like it Oklahoma City. I have the only Electra Townie Balloon in the city.

Weaknesses:    I like to ride with the seat in a high position to get full leg extension. This negates the flat foot technology. I still have to stand on 1 foot at a full stop.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the bike in April 2010, but I had to wait until August 30, 2010 to receive it. I contacted Electra and they said there are non available, until the next shipment arrived. I am 61 and I wanted a beach cruiser that was easy to ride. This bike is very easy to ride.

Favorite Ride:   Electra Townie Balloon 8i

Purchased At:   California Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   All of my bikes back in the day were road bikes, this is my 1st cruiser. I called up my old friend Kevin at La Jolla Bicycles in San Diego and said "Kevin I want an easy to ride bike, so that I can start riding again", Kevin said ... "boy do I have the bike for you"; Kevin was right ... this bike is really a head-turner and very easy to ride.

Bike Setup:   The Bike is Stock, bike comes with deluxe seat and grips, The only thing I added was a CATEYE LED front and back lights

Submitted by Todd B. a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Strengths:    Even brand new the price is great for the money saved instead of driving to work.

Weaknesses:    The 7D has chain drop issues, but not the 8 speed. I know this because my wife has an 8 speed internally geared bike which is fantastic, though heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have the 7D which is just like this bike but with only a rear derailler, not an internal derailler. At first I thought the flat foot technology was just a gimick but really enjoy standing at stoplights instead of having to get off the saddle. An issue with my 7D that I have is that if I start pedaling too fast from a stoplight in too high a gear the chain comes off. I am sure that this is not a problem with the internal geared hub of this bike however.

Favorite Ride:   Mid Mountain Trail Park City, UT

Purchased At:   Used/brand new condi

Similar Products Used:   My wife's cruiser bike.

Bike Setup:   stock 7D

Submitted by av8tor9804 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, class, upright position, low-maintenace high-quality Shimano Nexus Internal 8-speed hub w/ Roller Brakes

Weaknesses:    Fixed front chainring & frame design allows only a larger or smaller chainring. No 2-ring or 3-rings as an option due to no way to mount the derailleur

Bottom Line:
I purchased a Townie 8 "Balloon" yesterday, and had a chance to ride it home, and then for a 5 or 6 mile trip on some bike trails around town.

I like the Nexus hub. So far, so good. One drawback is that with any internal hub, you have no external tensioner, and thus your chain length is permanent. I thought of this after my ride because I pondered if I could somehow install a 3-speed chain ring instead of it's 1 single chain ring. Besides the lack of a tensioner to give & take slack for the different sizes of rings, it would also need a stub shaft on the bottom bracket. All this to say that any internal hub, such as the Nexus on the back, will always remain whatever it is. In my case, an 8 speed.

I would venture a bit further to say that the salepeople's claims of "the 8-speed has the same bottom end and top end as a 21 speed MTB" to be a bit far fetched. In 8th gear, I went at a good clip, but not as fast as my Gary Fisher MTB, and in 1st gear, I could get up parking lots and sidewalks with a slight incline. There is NO WAY that this bike has the same low end as a 21 speed anything. If you see more hills in your future, and if you can sacrifice some top end speed, a person could always swap the chainring for a smaller diameter, and thus give you an easier time on steep hills.

Now for the good part. This bike is a compromise. You get 80% of the overall speeds (12-15% off bottom, maybe 8-10% off top) with what seems like an awesome internal hub. You get the "Flat-Foot Technology," however, know that I'm 6'0" and I like to have my seat adjusted higher up so I get good full leg extension when I ride. This means with the seat so high up, there goes being able to sit on it with my feet flat on the ground. I still have to stand on 1 foot when I stop. However, if you don't need full leg extension, lower the seat until your feet touch, and you will still have a fairly comfortable ride. The "beach cruiser" look, I guess.

The seat and grips are appointed in a high-end simulated leather. (I felt bad leaving it parked outside last night and covered the bike up.)

By the way, if you are looking for a bike you can customize to your own tastes, this is it. Electra/Townie had a catalog with the owner's literature, and they have all kinds of deluxe accessories. (Even a surfboard rack!)

My overall impression was one of great comfort, a fun ride, and I would definitely recommend the bike to a friend. Great on pavement and dirt. Balloon tires a little slick, so stay out of mud, etc., or you may have some wheel spin. If I were to rate it, it would be 4 out of 5 stars.

Price wise, I paid $750 at a bike store in Anchorage Alaska, which isn't bad considering freight costs to get things here. The $750 is on the high side due to the Nexus internal hub and the Internal Roller Brakes. Not too sure about roller brakes yet to give a good opinion one way or another.

I have heard (from REI Tech) that the Shimano Nexus hubs are great for consumers because they are low maintenance; however, they are VERY complex to disassemble & reassemble. I heard stories of 1 or 2 that they just replaced the whole bike on instead. The folks at the bike store I bought from told me they haven't had any problems so far with the hubs.

I say all this in case you experience a problem. A new hub goes for ~ $400. Hence, that's why this bike sells for $750, whereas a Townie 21 with a freewheel & external cog sells for ~ $430. It appears you get what you pay for.

I purchased the Townie because I was looking for a more upright riding position. Riding my Gary Fisher MTB causes my wrists to hurt, and sometimes my fingers/hands to go numb a little. No worries about ergonomics with a Townie, other than you will not be able to stand up and pedal. The handle bar would hit you in the knees. Stay seated and enjoy the ride. After I got home, I hoped for a quick 100 foot jaunt on the Gary Fisher, and that forward stance gave me the sensation I was going to go over the handle bars. Townies are just that upright.

I'll amend or re-post later as I gain more experience with it. Definitely a beautiful looking ride.

Happy Biking. :)

Favorite Ride:   2008 Townie 8 - Balloon

Purchased At:   Anchorage, Alaska bi

Bike Setup:   Stock, thus far

Submitted by Oscar a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, speed range, ease of changes speed

Weaknesses:    it's not a racing bicycle

Bottom Line:
I just got this bike a month ago. I had a Townie 3 for 1 year but this one is much better. The 8 speed internal gear is very responsive.

Favorite Ride:   everywhere