Giant Cypress SX Hybrid Bike

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Frame Material: Aluxx SL aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 15", 17", 19", 21", 23"
Colors: Black
Headset: 1 1/8" integrated aluminum
Front Der: Shimano Tiagra
Crankset: FSA CK600, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano 105
Pedals: aluminum cage w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 28c Michelin Dynamic

Submitted by Stuart

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2014

Strengths:    Very fast and reliable. It looks good for the price. It has very high quality components and is stiff because of the rigid fork which makes it more nimble and feels like your more in control.

Weaknesses:    The shifters are very big and you may accidentally change the gears while riding up hill. recommend buying different shifters but that's about it.

Bottom Line:
Fast and reliable bike I bought it in 2013 for 180 dollars on ebay and was worried at first. When I got it and purchased new pedals and had a tuneup I never regretted the purchase. Great bike!

Submitted by tjholdemu[ a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2009

Strengths:    Shifts smooth, fast for a hybrid, upright seating position, 25lbs,

Weaknesses:    Finding handle bars that really allow you to take full advantage of this bike.

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing second bike to compliment my road bike. Its fast, handles well and is very comfortable. I like the fact that I can be nearly road bike fast in the road but when the opportunity presents itself to jump on the side walk or hit a trail its very capable.

Favorite Ride:   Giant Cypress SX

Purchased At:   gently used on craig

Similar Products Used:   trek 1500

Bike Setup:   This bike came with paired spoke wheels, 105 drive train, suspension fork, and suspension seat post, specialized armadillo tires

Submitted by Martin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    LIGHT, WELL-BUILT, STURDY, FAST, ROAD BIKE GEARING, AMAZING STOPING POWER (YPK PADS), NO NOICES DURING RIDE, SUPER QUIET.

Weaknesses:    ?? EXACTLY WHAT I HOPED FOR. OK, WELL I WOULD NOT WANT TO RIDE MORE THEN 50 MILES IN A DAY ON IT. AFTER SUCH LONG DISTANCE, IT STARTS TO FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE.

Bottom Line:
I WANTED A BIKE I COULD RIDE THE STREETS ON AND PLUS NOW AND THEN SOME LIGHT TRAILS AND LIGHT-AGRESSIVE URBAN RIDING. I CHOSE THE SL MODEL FOR ITS LOOKS, BUT TODAY I KNOW IT WAS A GREAT CHOICE. IT HAS HIGHER LEVEL COMPONENTS THAT NEVER LET ME DOWN, IT IS LIGHWEIGHT, YET STURDY, AND CAN BE DRIVEN AGGRESSIVELY. I ALSO PUT 1.5" TRAIL TIRES ON IT AND TOOK IT FOR A 40 MILE EPIC RIDE IN THE MOUNTAINS (DIRT ONLY, NO PAVEMENTS). NEEDLESS TO SAY THE BIKE WAS FLAWLESS, THE CARBON FORK ACTUALLY MADE THE RIDE SURPRICINGLY SMOOTH. ALTHOUGH I NO LONGER TAKE THE BIKE IN THE MOUNTAINS (GOT NRS FROM GIANT)I KNOW THAT I CAN IF I HAVE TO. THE BIKE WAS RIDDEN FOR THREE SEASONS AND STILL RIDES LIKE NEW.

Purchased At:   Lbs

Similar Products Used:   MY FIRST AND ONLY HYBRID BIKE

Bike Setup:   STOCK, YPK BRAKE PADS, CARBON STEM, SEATPOST AND HANDLEBARS.

Submitted by Gflash a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    Good components for the price.
Mountain Bike handling (for those who like this).
Fast for a hybrid.

Weaknesses:    SRAM Half-Pipe shifters should be changed to shory versions or trigger shifters.
Entry level crank, but can't complain for the price I got this bike for.
15" frame is a bit odd looking at first but looks should not be the primary reason you get a bike.

Bottom Line:
I am not a hardcore roadie and do a mix of off and on road riding. I needed a second bike which was more road oriented but wanted to keep the mountain bike handling and stability. For someone with this requirements, the 2004 Giant Cypress SX is an excellent choice. Got a great year-end clearance discount from my LBS ($425) which is a great price for the components this bike has. Thought the SRAM twist shifters were odd and did not like the half-pipe size shifters. But they worked really well. Changed them out to shortie versions and added better grips and bar ends. Although Giant classifies it in their road/comfort range, it is road bike fast. Cruising along at 20-25 MPH is a breeze. As the previous reviewer said the 15" in frame looks a bit odd (I'm a short guy so this frame fitted me the best). But lowered the stem and handle bars, raised the saddle for optimum leg extension and it is a lot more agressive looking and definitely not a comfort bike. Keep the bike maintained and you will prevent any odd noises and creaks. Entry level square taper crankset could should be updated to a splined crankset. Do not get the 2005 version that is definitely a comfort bike with suspension fork (unnecessary if you want a fast road bike set up) and granny saddle. For a mountain biker, it is a great road bike alternative but may not appeal to hard core roadies. Definitely a great bike for the price.

Purchased At:   McCully Bike

Similar Products Used:   1984 Bridgestone road Bike
2004 Cannondale F300 moutain bike

Bike Setup:   Cypress SX stock except SRAM half-pipe grip shifters replaced with SRAM Attack Shorty grip shifters, Specialized BG grips and bar ends. WTB Laser saddle

Submitted by N2GLOCK a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2005

Strengths:    Not too many that I can think of.
MTB style brakes stop okay.
Ulterga rear der.

Weaknesses:    Very strange geometry. The 15" frame looks like a "Munchkin Bike". Brakes are pretty good but pads are cheap. Front der. is entry level. Seat is a joke. Wheels have to few spokes for the kind of riding this bike is intended for.

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review on behalf of my wife and her model is the Cypress SL. Anyways, she is very unhappy with this bike. She has had it for almost a year now and she just can't seem to get comfortable on it. I installed a shorter stem, a riser bar and we've played with the seat position alot and nothing seems to help. The first time she took it out for a long ride she could not sit down comfortably for 2 days after because of the seat that came on this bike. This bike may be okay for cruising the strand at the beach or maybe short commuting, but serious use is out of the question. This bike has a very odd geomety and I don't think that it's for everybody. My wife usually rides on a 15" frame but she had to opt for the 17" instead because the 15" was way too small. The frame also seems to flex alot as it tends to creek loudly while climbing hills out of the saddle. The parts mix is also kinda strange. Tektro v-brakes and cheap pads. Ulterga rear der. and enrty level front der.

Purchased At:   H&S

Wheelset upgrade for 2004 Giant Cypress SX

What would be a good wheelset upgrade for the stock Xero XSR4 wheels that come on a 2004 Giant Cypress SX "flat bar road bike". The wheels are not giving me any problems and I have been riding on them for over a year, but I am trying to lose a bit of rotational weight on the bike. I realize that t ... Read More »

Any Giant Cypress SX Riders?

Is anyone out there riding this bike that can provide some feedback? It is a hybrid, I guess. The component group (Shimano 105) doesn't look too bad for an entry level to road biking guy like myself. I'm a big guy though - 6'-5" 225# so I worry about jumping on any of the $400 - 600 road bikes tha ... Read More »