Giant FCR Hybrid Bike

4.72/5 (18 Reviews)

The FCR model is the ultimate training and fitness bike. Fast, light and a comfortable riding position.
  • frame: ALUXX butted aluminum, Compact Road Design and Integrated Forged Headtube
  • fork: Composite w/aluminum steerer

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tom W

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is now going on seven years and still going strong. The only thing left of the original is the frame, front fork and stem. I really like the weight and riding position. For what I have paid for upgrades I could have bought a good carbon. However, I like the push/pull gearing and the ride.

Weaknesses:    All of the weaknesses have been upgraded from pedals to crank, cassette, chain, derailleurs and wheels. With the upgrades I took off about pounds and it wasn't a heavy bike to begin with. However, it still has the same ride only better

Bottom Line:
    Obviously there are newer bikes with higher end materials. I have been tempted but nothing I have seen so far has tempted me to change.

Submitted by Greg Shaw

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    Price.. Cost US$260 here in China. Wow!!!! Eat your heart out guys!. Tyres narrow enough to keep up with a road bike. Clean lines, simple, no frills. Shinao gears etc.

Weaknesses:    As yet, undiscovered. Oh, come on guys, the pedals on all bikes are only there to let you ride it home! Get real. You need to buy ones that you use bike shoes with. Duh!

Bottom Line:
    I used to ride 10,000 km a year, when I was in training, so think I know bikes a little. My own one is top of the line Giant, Durace, Carbon fibre etc etc.. Bought this for my girlfriend, because it was "love at first site". (Bike, not her). She was used to riding a mountain bike, so this suited her perfectly. We had almost bought another mountain bike at another shop, but they would not let her test ride it! Crazy. So it was fortunate we walked out in disgust and went to the next shop. Thinking of buying one myself, as a "knock around bike".

Submitted by Craig Radhuber

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, fast enough for all around street riding and a great gear ratio.

Weaknesses:    Pedals that come with this bicycle are useless so I changed them out for a cheap pedal and I am very very happy with the bicycle.

Bottom Line:
    I think I have owned this bicycle for about 3 years now and I thought it was time to write a review. I am 58 years old and I have been riding bicycles almost everyday since I was 5 years old. I live in New Jersey by the Hudson River and I ride in rain sleet and snow. This is one of the three bicycles that I own and I really enjoy riding this bicycle the most. It is very light and maneuvers easily around the many hazards that we have here. I like the upright position of the handle bars and with the extensions it is great for climbing hills. The gears shift very smoothly and the range of gears are great for where I live. I also like the carbon front fork that makes for a smoother ride.

Submitted by Jeff a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, dependable, shifts well for lower end parts..(not bad though)

Weaknesses:    The stem.

Bottom Line:
    Best dang bike I've found for the money. I take it with me just about everywhere. The only things I've done to it is swap out the stock rubber for something better in the same size.. Pedals next. Oh...added Freddy Fenders too and nuked the adjustable stem. I really highly recommend the shop I bought it at too. ICS in Indy.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere..commute

Purchased At:   ICS in Irvington (In

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7.3

Submitted by David a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    Relatively light, gears shift fine, good balance of comfort and speed.

Weaknesses:    Don't like the grips on the handlebars at all, will probably replace them. Also, the pedals admittedly suck. I replaced them for 20 bucks with pedals that I could add toe clips to. I gave this 4 stars b/c of those two issues.

Bottom Line:
    I recently decided that it was time to buy a new bike after several 10-15 miles rides on my mid-90s specialized hard rock sport. I wanted something that wouldn't be so sluggish, but also, I didn't mind sacrificing some speed for comfort, as I have no plans on competitively riding. The Giant FCR 3 has worked out perfectly for my needs (i.e. someone who wants to go on long rides, but doesn't care about having the absolute fastest bike with the absolute best gear). I think way too many people buy into all the hype about bicycles, and spend way too much money, when really, the most important thing is how you feel when you ride it. I feel very much at home on this bike. It's light (at least in comparison to my old hard rock), responsive, and just a blast to ride. And I bet I could beat at lot of people with bikes that cost 5 times as much, as the most important thing is what sort of shape you're in. I recommend this bicycle to anyone who wants to really enjoy their ride, but doesn't want to break the bank.

Favorite Ride:   2008 Giant FCR 3

Purchased At:   Craig's List

Similar Products Used:   I looked at some Treks, but the Giant was the most reasonable, price-wise.