Giant Rapid 2 Hybrid Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Frame: Giant ALUXX-Grade butted-aluminum
  • Hubs: Formula (front), Shimano 2200 (rear)
  • Tires: Kenda Kwest, 700 x 28c
  • Crankset: FSA Omega Mega Exo
  • Chainwheel: 50/39/30

Submitted by Kfoltz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2012

Strengths:    Brakes, shifters, 700c, carbon fork, bar ends

Weaknesses:    pedals, seat is okay but will probably change out

Bottom Line:
I mostly ride mtb but I picked this bike so I can still ride when the trails are to muddy. I also commute to work with the rapid as well. The thing that I like the most is it has the same shifters as my mtb. Not that it would be a huge problem to have the a different shifter, but there are times when I come down off the mountain, and jump on the rapid and head for town. Compared to the 26" bikes i've had in the past the 700c flies. All around been a great bike. Have rode with groups that have a lot more expensive bikes but i can keep up just fine and haven't had any mechanical fails during a ride so I don't know what more to ask from the ol' girl. pedal on!

Purchased At:   the bike peddler

Submitted by Robert M a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Lite, excellent geometry, great crank set and rear gears, rapid fire shifters, brakes, peddles.

Weaknesses:    Stock grips and the seat.

Bottom Line:
For the money this is an excellent bike. I use mine primarily for morning exercise and fairly long weekend treks. The shifting is smooth, even when you are pushing it. Corners well and handles the road and potholes well. Excellent front gear set, which gives you a great choice of gear sizes the front being a 23 for the biggest. The rear runs an 11 tooth for the smallest gear, stock. Front brakes work well even when wet. After a year I am still completely happy with this bike.

If you are like me and like that morning 5 a.m. exercise ride maintaining pace and sprinting for as long as your legs can take it, this is the bike for you. Those weekend 15+ mile trips it holds its own with those $1500+ bikes.

For me it is way more comfortable than the traditional 10 speed handlebars, sitting a little higher and a wider grip.

I bought a gel seat and ergonomic grips. The stock seat like all those skinny hard stock seats had to go my arse would get so sore after less than 5 miles, and the grips had to go the ergonomic ones take that numbness out of the equation.

After a year I have had not reason to change anything, it is all stock. If I did change anything it would be the front crank to a 25 tooth, but that would not change much.

It is an excellent commute bike, weekend joy ride bike, and exercise bike.

Favorite Ride:   Mornin Exercise

Purchased At:   Quality Bike Savanna

Similar Products Used:   I used a Giant Rainer, Trek and Cannondale Road bikes. In the same price range the Giant offered more bang for the buck, better crank and rear gear sets, better smoother shifters. I was upgrading from my Trek, which I was not happy with at all. I shopped and road, Giant, Trek, and Cannondale. Like my Mountain Bike, Giant won out as the Best.

Bike Setup:   Stock, with a wireless trip computer, wallyworld cat eye side mirror, a gel seat, same size as factory, ergonomic grips.

Trek FX 7.5 or Giant Rapid 2

I am in the market for a new bike and have been looking at the Trek FX 7.5 and the Giant Rapid 2. Which bike has the better components?Read More »

Janis Allegro 2 vs. Giant Rapid Fire 3 vs. Specialized Sirrus Sport vs. Trek 7300

I am a beginner but in shape. 6 foor, 190 pounds. Athletic. I want to buy a bike for exercise at the beach - roads are mostly flat, but there are some fine gravel patches. Only doing road biking - but for exercise, not speed. Plan on doing 10-20 miles once or twice per week during the summer. Want b ... Read More »

Help me decide Giant Seek 2 or Rapid 3?

I'm looking for a bike for communiting to work i've been looking at the seek 2 and rapid 3 as my options but i can't decide on which one. My Local store knows nothing.. i ask them questions i can get really blank answers. Ill be traveling on pavement roads and bike paths.. is there any pros and c ... Read More »