Giant Revive Hybrid Bike

4.43/5 (23 Reviews)

Frame Material: 6061 T6 aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: one size fits all
Colors: Black/Silver, Red/Silver
Pedals: resin
Tires: 20 x 1.75" multi-terrain

Submitted by dave mcginnis

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2015

Strengths:    Comfort, flexibility, utility.

Weaknesses:    Uphill climbs, use of soft steel in places.

Bottom Line:
I love my Revive DX! I bought it in 2005 and rode it to work for five years, 5mi round trip, 1000 miles a year. Since then recreational riding. I am on my fourth set of tires with about 8,000 miles total.

For one thing I'll never have a derailleur again. From now on it is hubs for me, like an automatic transmission almost. Long ago I achieved the perfect adjustment, it is super comfortable. The on-board computer is very useful, especially the time clock (as I mentioned) for getting to work on time.

One weakness is the use of soft steel in places, like the brake handles and the chain adjusters in the rear. The spokes are soft but they are chrome-plated; abrasion occurs where they cross. The staples holding the seat cover rusted out. Being made in Taiwan, a tropical location, I'd've thought they'd've sprung for hardened steel to minimize corrosion and rust. I am located in Key West FL.

Another is the inability to stand on the pedals to go uphill. I popped a rear spoke along about 2010 and when I took it in to a local shop to get new spokes I asked them to put a new sprocket on the rear with two additional teeth. The new spokes are heavier grade and better steel, again, but I got only one tooth which they had on hand. It took me down one gear. Where I used to ride in 4th I now use 5th. The low-low does help a lot. I recommend it.

You need to learn to maintain it. I can take the whole rear end apart and put it back together in an hour, like when I want to rotate the tires. I know exactly the circumference of my tires in millimeters so I can re-set the computer when changing battery. I have all my bike tools and parts in a jar in the shed, no problem.

What I want now is an accessory, a basket. I have a conventional basket for a standard upright which will work but I need to buy some aluminum bar stock that can be bolted through the basket mesh to the two connectors on the column, down low sort of, as the typical handle-bar attachment will not work.

Submitted by Gary Bothe

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2014

Strengths:    Very comfortable riding position, well built and engineered

Weaknesses:    Not built for speed, heavier than I would like

Bottom Line:
Overall, this is a great bike. I bought mine new in 2007 and have several thousand miles on it now, even though I am only able to ride it half the year because I am a "snowbird" and it stays in Fla while I go north for the summer. Minor complaints: I have no idea why this bike was originally equipped with 40 psi tires. About 65-75% of the rider's weight is on the rear wheel, depending on your seat position, and if you are the maximum recommended weight of 260 lbs, that's nearly 200 lbs of rider weight on the back wheel. That translates into a 5 square inch contact patch--in other words, a very compressed tire. I quickly replaced my rear tire with a good 100 psi street tire, and got rid of the green slime tubes, replacing them with regular tubes and Mr. Tuffy strips. The 40 psi tire in front is still quite adequate, but I over-inflate it to about 60 psi with no problems. The semi-recumbent, heads-up riding position is very comfortable and your head height is about the same as on a standard bike. This means you are high enough so you do not disappear behind cars, something that scares the heck out of me with a low-riding recumbent. Also, this position means no stiff neck, no numb hands, and a great view of the scenery. The drawback is that with your legs out in front of you, you cannot bend down out of the wind, so riding upwind on gusty days can be frustrating. My 8-speed base model is quite adequate for my generally flat terrain, and it is a great commuter bike and general tourer, as long as you are not trying to set any speed records. The only maintenance problem I have had is that after about 2000 miles the rear wheel rim came apart at the weld joint and I had to get the wheel replaced. While I was at it, I got a wheel with 36 spokes (instead of the original 28) and a quick release axle (instead of the original bolt-on axle). Better than new. Oh, and here's a maintenance hint: I never leave home without the ability to repair a flat on the road, and if you take the plastic cover off the back of the seat support tube, you will find plenty of room for stowing a spare inner tube inside. Bottom line: I love my Revive, and have enjoyed it for seven years now.

Submitted by frank

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2014

Strengths:    funnnnnnnnnnnnn

comfortable

cool design

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

i'm an old fat guy....

and this bike is sooooooooooo comfortable and easy to ride

i live near the ocean and it's such a pleasure to cruise with this bike

Submitted by Jean

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2014

Strengths:    Comfortable, versatile, fun. Gets lots of heads to turn and people always smile when they see it.
Very sturdy frame, comfortable seat and adjustable backrest. Handlebars are adjustable and gears are smooth shifting.
The lack of cross bar on the frame makes it feel a lot safer. I can put my feet on the ground or easily dismount.

Weaknesses:    The fenders are plastic (2007 model).

Bottom Line:
I adore my Revive and used it to commute to work for awhile. My husband was not impressed when I bought it but I was 100% happy with it from the minute I rode it at the bike shop. He thought it looked like a gimmicky idea but honestly you just have to ride it to fall completely in love it. I don't think I would ever be able to replace it, so I baby it a little. I use it mostly for fun and occasional trips to the local grocery store; as I have a plastic bin on the back to hold things. I taught my dogs to run beside me on leashes with it and I get lots of heads that turn when I go by with my two pups running alongside. It's really fun and I don't know why Giant discontinued making.

Submitted by Jim a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2012

Strengths:    Very rugged bike; strong frame, 20" wheels are durable and pump up quickly, riding on bike paths the seat height puts you at eye level with walkers, so you are less intimidating to others, like riding around in a chair; also you can put your feet down and not have to dismount. Extremely comfortable. Due to neck and shoulder problems I can't ride a regular bike very far, but can spend hours on the revive without problems. The shock under the seat makes a lot of difference comfort wise. When sightseeing and just knocking around the bike is convenient for stopping often to check things out.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but not seriously so; takes a while to get used to 20" wheels (less gyroscopic effect, very quick steering); use of panniers a problem.

Bottom Line:
I enjoy this bike immensely. I am planning a long tour this spring, from Colorado to Florida and back. Speed is less of a concern than comfort and durability, and the Revive has both of those.
I will put a smaller chainring on to gear the bike down for a load. I don't understand why Giant doesn't market this bike more aggresively, I get comments every time i ride it, from all ages and especially from teens that say "wow, cool bike!"

Favorite Ride:   Revive