Giant Sedona DX Hybrid Bike

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested...

Submitted by Dave M.

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2015

Strengths:    I've had my bike since 2006. Have over 8000 miles on it and have gone through a set of gears and a derailleur set on the front and back. Also, a few tires along the way. Overall, the best bike I've owned. A heavy bike and quite solid. My bike riding is most trail and road, although it will do dirt trails (not hard core mountain biking). The regular bike tires are fine, but with the right rubber, can be adopted to dirt trails (again, not heavy duty mountain biking), quite easily. Jumps curbs with ease. Highest length of ride 60 miles, though most are 20 miles are so at a time. Would recommend seat change (get something more comfortable), to avoid the use of "biker briefs" although such pants are recommended for long rides. Wheels are solid (only pair I've owned), shifts well. Would recommend a new chain every 800-1000 miles (otherwise, may need a new gear cluster). If off-road, don't forget to clean the chain, etc.

Shifts easily and is a fine bike to own. Not a speed bike, but I can average about 13-14 mph in relatively flat ground, with some hills.

Looked at more expensive bikes as a replacement, but will probably get another Sedonna. My wife has one and so does our neighbor and they highly recommend them.

Weaknesses:    Not a fast bike, but definitely durable.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for middle-aged folks looking for a bike that will help them get out and enjoy the great outdoors.

Submitted by Jean-Paul Goodrich a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2014

Strengths:    comfort, durability, price

Weaknesses:    none that I have found so far

Bottom Line:
I don't write reviews. I feel so strongly about the bike I purchase that I wanted to share what I learned. I tested the following 6 bikes before deciding on the Giant Sedona Hybrid bike: The Specialized, the Trek 7.1, 7.3, the diamond back, and two others I cannot remember. There are a thousand different bikes you can purchase, so from that perspective shopping for a bike can be daunting. There are three basic categories of bikes to chose from: Road bikes (made for street riding), mountain bikes (designed for dirt, or off road riding), and hybrid/lifestyle bikes (designed for cruising, and commuting with off road capabilities).
The hybrid/lifestyle category was an easy choice for me because I wasn't interested initially in going off road with my bike, nor was I interested in racing anyone down the street. The last bike I purchased was a used beach cruiser for $25 at a garage sale; needless to say I was in the dark when it came to the bike industry as a whole. My initial goals for my bike purchase was the following: Go to yoga, go to the store, and cruise around town. What I ended up doing was going everywhere on my bike including off road, over rocks, over streams, and through puddles. I have not used my car since the purchase of my bike 5 weeks ago, with the rare exception of a family outing. If you are a hard core mountain, or street rider this bike may not be for you. On the other hand, if your someone that is looking cruise around town, to commute to work, and have the ability to go off road as well as climb some hills this bike may be a good choice. This bike is super comfortable, turns on a dime, has 24 gears making easy to climb most hills, can climb over rocks when needed, and has stood up to everything I have thrown at it in the last 100 plus miles of riding. Did I mention price? The Giant Sedona offered the biggest bang for buck. For around $400 and some change, you will be very happy with this purchase.

Favorite Ride:   Left hand

Purchased At:   Full Cycles

Bike Setup:   After you have decided on the bike that you want, you will need to have it properly fitted. This means the size of bike: small, medium, large, ex-large. Also make sure the seat, and handle bars are properly aligned to fit your body, as well as the gears and breaks. Ask the person helping you a few questions about the set up of your bike, if they are not giving you the right vibes, you will need to get someone else to help you. The set up of your bike is as important as choosing the right bike.

Submitted by Nashville Native

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Strengths:    XL Frame size is made for a big man. Perfect for a former football lineman looking to burn some weight off but treat his knees right. Shifts clean. Not a hybrid of road might ride but very good on paved trails. Length of reach to handlebars and pedals are great for 6'-3" and 36 -1/2" arm length. Seat is comfortable as well. Love the lockout forks for times when I want more speed and I am less worried about bumps.

Weaknesses:    Twist gears work really well but push buttons would be better only due to my large hand contacting the twist shifter sometimes when I am not wanting to shift.

Screws under the saddle got a bit loose and when I tightened them down I think the whole threads were somewhat stripped out.

Bottom Line:
I like it enough that I am thinking about buying another one and putting it back for when this one finally wears out. It is made so well, that may not be a good idea. It may last me 20 years.

Submitted by carlos

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2013

Strengths:    Perfect comfort, multipurpose, fun to ride, good looking, and quality built.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
AAA+ BIKE

Submitted by Scoot gal

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable, easily adjustable, enjoyed many long rides of 20-30 miles being able to maintain 8-10mi/hr. I actually have an older version, bought a new dual sport by another maker. It was a beautiful bike, I was so looking forward to riding it but returned it because my Giant spoiled me!

Weaknesses:    None Love this bike...it's my best friendn

Bottom Line:
It gets no respect as a comfort bike...wish it was sportier!