Jamis Citizen Hybrid Bike

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

A sleek saddle with center groove, 21 speed drivetrain and lightweight alloy rims make the Citizen more comfortable and easier to pedal than most similarly priced bikes. And a full run of seven sizes helps ensure you’ll achieve a comfortable, pedaling-efficient position with the help of an angle-adjustable handlebar stem to keep you in control.

Submitted by Glenn Mavros a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    The most comfortable bike ever.
Seat, riding position, handlebars. Perfect.
Nice shifter

Weaknesses:    Citizen 1 didn't climb steep hills too well but ez fix.installing a shimano cassette

Bottom Line:
I had only owned street and mountain bikes before but fell in love with a Citizen 1. My shop had one with an aluminum frame somehow and gave me the same price as the stock steel frame. 8 months riding it 5 times/week, still love it.

Submitted by Louis Lesh a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable and durable on rough rural roads

Weaknesses:    Have had trouble keeping seat post from slipping down

Bottom Line:
Comfortable and smooth ride. Gearing nice for an entry level bike. Have put a lot of miles on it since I bought it and have been very pleased. Bought it to get back in shape and get ready to get back to riding my road bike. Have higher-end Giant road bike, not sure I want to go back to it after riding my Jamis Citizen 1.

Favorite Ride:   Local rural roads

Purchased At:   About Bicycles, Oran

Similar Products Used:   Giant road bike

Submitted by Mike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    -Great suspension makes for a comfortable ride in any environment.

Weaknesses:    -Heavy frame. Annoying to carry up and down stairs.

-Handlebars are too high, even for a comfort hybrid. Makes it feel like a cruiser. The fit is not so good for recreational off-road or fitness use, where you will want a more crouched down posture. If you turn the handlebars down, the bike loses stability.

-Low-end shifters.

Bottom Line:
Had this bike for a year. It's a good, decent comfort hybrid. I'd say the strongest part of the bike is the suspension. I was riding up and over some nasty bumps and street curbs like they weren't even there. In fact, it's a lot better than the suspension on some true mountain bikes I tried, especially the department store variety. The handlebars are a tad high, even for a comfort bike, and when you artificially lower them, the bike is not that stable. The shifters and derailleurs are low-end, so you may have some problems with them - nothing the bike shop can't handle. I also had a lot of problems with my brakes rubbing, but I blame that on the mechanic, not the bike itself.

Favorite Ride:   River Road, NJ, Suburban NYC

Purchased At:   Local bike shop in N

Similar Products Used:   LeMond Reno road bike. Target-purchased mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   I now mainly use a road bike for commuting and for fitness.

Submitted by chocostove a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    durable frame,great pricepoint,sturdy rims

Weaknesses:    headset and handlebar combo is a pain to deal with.
also I have had the bottom bracket come loose on me twice,but I blame that more on poor assembley and bad riding habits.

Bottom Line:
I picked this bike up on sale, looking to get off of my old department store bike. Within the first week of riding I was in love with this bike. It's great for the casual rider,or
as a light commuter bike. I ride in the inner city, and heavy traffic and adverse road conditions demand a lot from a bike. This bike has never let me down. The rims are still true and straight. The seat post tames rough roads pretty well. After two semi-serious wrecks, the frame is still straight,smooth and unaffected. On the downside, I Had to change the saddle and the handlebars. The saddle is purely preference though,expect that with any bike. The handlebars would rattle the clamp and the headset bolts loose from the back and forth stress. Anyone who were to use this bike in traffic would probably feel the same way. After a year of use i'd say this bike is really meant to be more of a modern cruiser. The gearing is just a little too low for me to feel comfortable particapating in traffic. This bike is best for running to the corner store, around the neighborhood,bike paths,and hardpack trails. By swapping out components the bike is very adjustable to meet a wide range of needs but never really excels in any one area. A great bike for people who are just getting into riding or getting back in.

Favorite Ride:   the daily commute

Purchased At:   copeland sports

Similar Products Used:   department store bikes and homemade bikes

Bike Setup:   non descript bmx saddle and mtb flatbars,other than that bone stock

Submitted by smitty_in_vancouver a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2006

Strengths:    Decent components for a bargain price. Comfortable riding position.

Weaknesses:    Had a creaking in the adustable stem. A quick adjustment by the shop fixed this though they had to really reaf on it to keep it tight. Grip shifters, I really prefer trigger shifters though.

Bottom Line:
I was in Boston for 4 months last summer and bought this bike for some cruzing around the city. The bike was great. Very comfortable and handled well even in tight traffic and rough roads. This was my first "Comfort" bike and I loved it. I'm in my 40's and the upright position was a blast. I had to sell it before I came home, so I now I'm in the market to replace my old trek 850 commuter with a comfort bike, I may end up with another one of the same bikes, but I'm comparing it to some other brands.

Favorite Ride:   Stump Jumper FSR

Purchased At:   Local Boston Bike Sh

Similar Products Used:   I test rode the Specialized Crossroad recently, seemed about the same type of ride as the Jamis.

Bike Setup:   Stock setup.

Senior citizen orgy kills 7.

Dang. I mean, people joke about going out while getting it on but still, that's rough. [url=http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/229422/senior-citizen-gang-bang-kills-7/]Senior citizen gang bang kills 7 | Death and Taxes[/url] "In Charleroi, Belgium, an event promoter had organized what was conside ... Read More »

Democrats hurt average citizen less

Check this out! Ultra conservative writer and pastor says some thought provoking things. The following is a portion of an article he wrote.[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][h=1][FONT="Times New Roman"][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=6][COLOR=#000000] Ryan Zinke: The ... Read More »

Oh noes, Evil Lance sends out the Senior citizen hit squad.

In the news today... . A retired Florida urologist was sentenced to three years of probation Thursday for threatening to kill the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency CEO after the organization stripped cycling legend Lance Armstrong of his Tour de France titles. Gerrit Keats, a 72-year-old Clearwater Beach ... Read More »

CIVIL LIBERTIES: AG says drone strike on US Citizen in US hypothetically legal

Attorney General Holder has written that the President has legal authority to order a targeted drone strike against a US citizen located in the United States. [url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/05/us-drone-strike_n_2813857.html]Eric Holder: Drone Strike To Kill U.S. Citizen On American Soil ... Read More »

Armed Citizen Confronts Woman's Attacker Outside School - KIM-POSSIBLE!!!

[url=http://www.kens5.com/news/Armed-passerby-restrains-attacker-with-knife-outside-SA-school-167758635.html]Armed passerby confronts woman's attacker outside school, says SAPD | kens5.com San Antonio[/url] This story is FALSE because: A) The CHL holder must have shot innocent bystanders and ... Read More »