Jamis Coda Sport Hybrid Bike

4.52/5 (27 Reviews)

Our Coda series of flat-handlebar road bikes has won us legions of fans over the years and an Editor’s Choice award from Bicycling Magazine in 2011 for good reason—they’re quick, they’re nimble, they’re durable and dependable, and they are a blast to ride. They’re basically road racing bikes without the racing emphasis—flat handlebars and intuitively easy-to-use controls mean near-zero intimidation, but you still get the benefit of elevated performance and incredible efficiency. This year’s Codas are even smoother riding than last years thanks to the wider 32c Vittoria Randonneur tires, which make for perfect all-weather riding around town. And we made sure this years Codas are still some of the most versatile two-wheelers we build, thanks to a full brace of rack, fender and lock eyelets and a broad gearing range suitable for most any terrain.

Submitted by Robert

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2015

Strengths:    I think I paid too much! $700 for coda sport with Deorde drive ? I purchased it in 2012 and it was on sale. It is without a doubt a terrific ride.speed,agility and nimbleness.quiet too..I heard the Alex wheels are suspect, but I don't have any issues.i tried several bike when searching, as the proprietor said" the bike will find you" ...it did! Great ride.

Bottom Line:
See above

Submitted by Karl a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2014

Strengths:    A quality Reynolds steel frame offers greater comfort than the aluminum frames of most hybrids (I have only owned steel bikes but have rented Specialized and Trek aluminum hybrid bikes, sometimes for several weeks at a stretch). The parts mix is quite decent, with cheap and cheerful Shimano and a few no name bits but all quite functional.

The price was excellent given the above (I did get an NOS model from 2011) and the look is classy.

Weaknesses:    Wheels were not all that well built on purchase but there's nothing really wrong with inexpensive Formula hubs and Alex rims. Supposedly had them "trued" when I picked up the bike but then took them to a real bike shop to have them properly tensioned by hand. It was a very worthwhile investment of around $40 and obviates the need to get a "better" set of wheels as one reviewer on this site had suggested.

The rear hub OLN width is 130mm road standard, so replacing it with a Deore or better would have required squeezing it in or cold-setting and is unnecessary in any event.

Bottom Line:
Unless you are commuting astronomical distances, in which case you might want a Deore drivetrain for durability, you don't need anything better than this (and could do a whole lot worse).

The Coda has an excellent steel frame, a good value drive-train and no superfluous and heavy items like suspension forks or posts. Rides well and feels lively when not carrying a load.

Favorite Ride:   Toronto waterfront and trails

Purchased At:   Toronto

Similar Products Used:   1995 GT Vantara steel hybrid (also great); 2000 (or so) Jamis Nova cyclocross bike coverted to flat bar hybrid; several steel road bikes including some high end custom ones.

Bike Setup:   Stock drivetrain, stock but properly tensioned and trued wheels. The only replacements that I made with with new parts were a Brooks B17 saddle and Ergon GP1 cork grips.

I also added a pair of lightly used Panaracer Pasela TG tires that I happened to have lying around. Accessories include bottle cages, Velo Orange aluminum fenders and bell, Shimano M324 pedals (clipless/platform on opposite sides), and a Blackburn rack that came with a Co-Pilot in which to carry my toddler.

Submitted by vicki mason

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2013

Strengths:    ..I was very impressed with the coda sport. it handled very well, shifting gears was easy. the seat was comfortable everything about this bike is awesome! i rode it 104miles without any problems or flat tires.

Weaknesses:    i really do not know of any

Bottom Line:
I started training in May 2013 for my first century ride on August 2, 2013. I used an older 12 speed bike it wasn't until the week before the ride that i decided to purchase a new bike. my local bike dealer suggested the coda sport..when i took it for a test ride i knew right away it was the bike for me. I highly recommend this bike.

Submitted by ShortRide

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth ride, perfect upright feel, great fit for "hard-to-fit-petite" rider, at least the sport femme.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none, in my opinion.

Bottom Line:
I could never keep up with my friends due to, what I found out was not so much me, but a poorly designed bike.
I tried many much higher priced bikes and was so disappointed in the discomfort of the test ride.
Then I found the Jamis Coda Sport Femme.
With this bike I can keep up with anyone and even pass them most of the time, ride for long periods without wrist pain, back pain, butt pain.
Bumps that would have jolted me before, I barely notice.
I am no bike aficionado, just love to ride, so I couldn't be technical and tell you about the aspects of the fork, frame or anything else.
I just know how it feels and I have found my bike for life. If I ever need to buy another, which I doubt, it will be a Jamis Coda Sport Femme.

Submitted by Bob a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    The Frame

Weaknesses:    Without a doubt the wheels

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an all Cromoly hybrid frame (not easy to find these days). But had to buy the whole bike. I had read in other reviews how lousy the stock wheels are on Coda's. At the bike store (Tip Top bikes in Berkeley, Ca.) I asked the very nice woman with the English accent about the wheel issues and she assured me that Jamis had corrected the problem with their wheels.
I've owned the bike for 2 years now and have had nothing but problems with the wheels. Constantly going out of true (I only weigh 150 LBS) My advice: when comparing prices you need to add the cost of a new set of wheels to the Coda. ie MSRP is 560.00, the total cost of the bike will be around 750.00 or 800.00.
I do like the frame. It's a great all around utility ride. It could easily be use for fully loaded touring (after replacing the stock wheels).

Bike Setup:   I slowly replaced the stock components with better components purchased from Craigslist:
Front Derailleur--- LX (an old used one in very good condition)
Shimano 105 5700 hubs -- Rims Mach1 RJ project 36 spoke
Bottom Bracket--- A cheap 68 X 113
Rear Derailleur--- Deore
Shifters--- XT 9 speed
Crankset--- an old shimano LX 28-38-48 with bio-space rings (like-new condition) 170 mm
Cassette--- Xt 9 speed. 11-32

Jamis Coda Sport

I just wanted to show-off my new ride. I normally do mountain biking on my Spec. Stumpy 29er, but decided to get some road miles in for weight loss. I tested some nice road bikes but just could not get comfortable with the drop bars and brifters. I read a lot of good things about the Coda model from ... Read More »

Is the Jamis Coda Sport a "mom" bike?

After seven years of cavalierly leaving my bike locked up on street corners overnight, some thief finally got wise and took my wheels. Sadly, my ride is an early WSD Trek 2000 equipped with 650c's (which means the thief is either a very saavy triathlete or kicking himself right now.) I've had no luc ... Read More »