KHS Inc. urban-Xpress Hybrid Bike

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

HYBRID/TOURING BIKE

Submitted by Gary Carlson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in January, 2007. I've had very little trouble with it after riding it for 6700 miles. I did have a repair done on the rear axle and replaced the shifters and front deralleur about 3 years ago. Neither was expensive. The bike is solid as a rock and as I use it, it's ideal. I have worn out a pair of 700 X 35 tires and a pair of 28s. The 35s are very comfortable but take a bit more energy to push than the 28s.

Purchased At:   Jadde Sports, Mesqui

Submitted by TJ a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2012

Strengths:    Great value for the money, steel frame, fast and nimble, just feels right.

Weaknesses:    Wheels seem a tad weak.

Bottom Line:
I must say this bike took me completely by surprise. I had been shopping for a bike for a while and actually returned two (Cannondale Quick 6 and GT Avalanche 2.0) before I found this beauty. Being that Im a big guy 6'5 300+ it was getting increasingly difficult to find a hybrid bike that would work for me, but when I purchased the 2010 KHS Urban Express XXL it was a match made in heaven. The frame is cro-moly and has no problem supporting my weight and smooths out all the bumps. Yes the bike is heavy by hybrid standards but it still is super light compared to other bikes Ive ridden. Its fast and I love the gearing, the shifters work perfectly and the Acera derailer does a great job (much better then the Alivio on the Quick). Overall I could not be happier with my bike and Id like to also thank the guys down at Houston Bicycle for helping me out, they know their stuff and are great to work with.

Purchased At:   Houston Bicycle Co.

Submitted by Martin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2011

Strengths:    Value, comfort, functional, rugged. Has bosses for mudguards and racks.

Weaknesses:    The seat is a bit wide, makes my glutes sore, but I'm used to vary narrow racing saddles.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike as a purely utilitarian commuter. That's exactly what it is, nothing fancy, servicable, easy to ride, and rugged. It is a great value.

Favorite Ride:   KHS Urban Xpress

Purchased At:   Orono bike swap

Submitted by Leipster a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Steel frame, value. Double wall rims.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
Recently purchased a 2009 Urban Xpress at a bike store that I pass when I ride into the office. I was using a no name mountain bike to commute in and the ride was uncomfortable and not enjoyable. I was looking for a commuter bike that was steel and had a large chain ring and under $1000. The steel bike would help absorb the horrible road I have to endure on my route compared to my old aluminum garage sale bike. I get a downhiller on the way in and my legs just couldn't keep up the smaller chain ring on the Mtb. I tested a Lemond street bike with flat bars, a Kona dr. Dew with hydraulic brakes and a Jamis Coda - all good bikes. You just can't beat the value that this bike brings, the components are decent on a stiff frame, the comfort level is much more correct versus my mtb and it's much much faster. No need to modify this bike it's a get up and go.

Favorite Ride:   To the office

Purchased At:   Cylce Solutions

Similar Products Used:   Kona, jamis, lemond.

Bike Setup:   Stock, added rear fender, customary bell and blinker lights removed the wheel reflectors.

Submitted by Amber a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdy, speedy, smooth, without fancy suspension gear.

Weaknesses:    No women's frame models

Bottom Line:
I'm loving my new 2008 KHS Urban Xpress. Previous reviewers rate it as heavy. I was skeptical of getting a steel frame, but actually it weighs the same (27 lbs) as the Marin aluminum hybrid I was comparing to, and cost less. The steel frame is very light and the bike just wants to GO. Very quick and shifting is a breeze. Excellent hybrid adventure/commuter bike.