Kona Bicycle Co. Dew Hybrid Bike

Pedals: Wellgo C3 w/ clips and straps
Tires: 700 x 32c WTB All Terrainasaurus

Submitted by Adrian O'Sullivan

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Frame looks sturdy enough although that has yet to be tested

Weaknesses:    So many. But in general its like riding a penny farthing. This bike has no feel, and with the standard brakes fitted by Evans, its potentially dangerous. Turning the bike at an angle also brings about the risk of grounding the pedals even though the bike has quite a high ground clearance.

Bottom Line:
No, no. no. I've been riding bikes for over 40 years and I've never has such a duffer as this. It has all the disadvantages of a short bike but none of its advantages. It squirrels badly under braking, with no feel until bang - you're locked. The pedals regularly ground even though the clearance is great. And its quite heavy too. My last bike - a Claud Butler Urban affair at 1/2 the price was better in every aspect. When this bike gets nicked (c'mon thieves, do your stuff) as it will in London, I will celebrate. I've half a mind to leave it unlocked although I'd exepct to see the wretched thig dumped by the side of the road but 200 yards away if the rotter knows his stuff.

Submitted by Ptolemy Garfunkel a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent geometry, incredibly responsive, light, amazing frame, great fork, best components at this price point by a mile. The Altus shifters are great. I see people complain about the dérailleurs but that's a load of hogwash. Any set of dérailleurs will feel clunky if you don't use them right, ease off on the pedals while shifting, that kind of thing.

Weaknesses:    Incredibly responsive. Twitchy, even. Be careful if you're transitioning from a cheap mountain bike or similar clunker. It is not forgiving with antics at higher speeds. It doesn't look amazing but really, who cares. The rear dérailleur can feel a tad clunky in the two smallest chain rings. The tires aren't the greatest. I'm really having difficulty finding issues with this bike. I would, however, caution that it is especially important that you make sure to fit this bike decently. Swap the tires out, preferably for something slicker. The gear ratios don't work very well for loaded touring I have found; but the bike wasn't designed for loaded touring.

Bottom Line:
I ride a 2010 Kona Dew. Kona really hit the sweet spot in terms of weight and durability with the Dew. The bike is as light as is useful in every non racing application. It is also very, very durable. Let me give you some context. I weigh 260 pounds. I ride/ tour over 40km a day. About 6 out of these 40 km comprise severely damaged/ potholed/ dirt roads. A week ago, having put about 300 km on it without a single tune up, I managed to wipe out at a little under 40kmph, by my cyclo-computer. The front wheel turned sharply into the bike, acting as a brake, lunging me forward before the bike tumbled twice and skid for a good 100 meters. The fork, frame, every part of the bike was unscathed. The only thing that happened to it from this incredible abuse was that the front rim went a touch out of true. This is a great bike. I did a lot of research before getting this, and I have not had a single regret. The Dew has made me love bicycling. First decent bike or beater winter commuter, it does not get any better than this at 479 Canadian.

Favorite Ride:   Kona Dew

Purchased At:   Liberty Bicycles, St

Similar Products Used:   I researched my options for three months prior to my purchase. Having decided on a road frame geometry/ road wheel set based hybrid. I finally had to decide between a Trek FX 7.2, a Dew, and a Specialized Globe Vienna. The Trek looks amazing but offers a boring and conventional ride. Good bike but the components on the Dew are a lot better. Not as fun a ride. The Vienna is an amazing ride, almost as fun to ride as the Dew and even more responsive (although that may have to do with the slicker tires on it). It's a GREAT ride, but it didn't feel as durable as the Dew. The Dew really is the absolute best value.

Bike Setup:   This is the only stock saddle I've ever ridden that has been comfortable. I will, however swap it out for a Brooks eventually. I've also found that MTB bars don't really do a bike like this justice; I'll be swapping them out for drops as soon as I have the dough.

Submitted by diwddng a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    -- Not too heavy
-- Extremely comfortable seat
-- Attractive appearance (mine is blue)
-- Low price
-- Generally kicks ass

Weaknesses:    -- Paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
This bike has been my commuter ever since I moved to Montreal. As a commuter bike, it is pretty much ideal. You sit fairly upright and get a good view of traffic. At the same time, the bike isn't heavy--it zips along nicely.

This machine has taken an incredible beating over the past three years,having been ridden constantly, left outdoors, and driven in rainstorms and snowstorms. Despite all that, it's still rolling pretty well (albeit with some maintenance--a replacement rear derailleur, new chain, new cassette, new wheel).

Purchased At:   Velodidacte