Kona Bicycle Co. Smoke Hybrid Bike

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Frame Material: chromoly, butted
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 14", 16", 18", 20", 22"
Colors: Matte Black
Pedals: Kona JackShit
Tires: 26 x 1.95" Tioga City Slicker

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2014

Strengths:    Durability...I've pounded it for years.

Weaknesses:    Yes, it's not very light, but I can still carry it and a couple bags at the same time.

Bottom Line:
The first thing I did was remove the fenders and swap the tires for police tires. Over the years, I've replaced several components, and it still rides well. I use it primarily as a commuter, but with the fender/tire modification, it does well riding it hard off road. Good value for the price.

Submitted by roland gallant

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2012

Strengths:    steel frame

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
love this bike! after riding one to try out i got rid of my giant escape3.a bit on the heavy side but the ride is worth it.

Submitted by Pras a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, right geometry, looks simple does not invite theft

Weaknesses:    I had to replace the wheelset to make it enjoyable. Low-end components (will upgrade as soon as they worn out).

Bottom Line:
It was so heavy that I ignored the Kona Smoke soon after I bought it 2 years ago. But 3 months ago I casually replace the wheelset with a pair from my older Giant road bike lying around in my garage, which are much lighter including the cassetee. And hey, suddenly the Smoke really ride very well. I found it much easier to ride, and fast, without losing its comfort.
Now the Smoke is the bike I ride most among my other bikes (1 of them is carbon), almost every day I ride it at least 20 kms. Now I believe that steel bike is really comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   Around Jakarta on Sunday morning

Purchased At:   Rodalink, Jakarta

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roubaix, Marin ALP Lucas valley Valley, older Giant TCR, TREK 1500.

Bike Setup:   Replace the wheelset with lightweight rims and Tiagra cassette, 700/23 tyres, replace grip shifter with Shimano Alivio

Submitted by Chris Leigh a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Takes a beating day in and out. Good value for the money

Weaknesses:    Handler grip shifter I changed first week, got a few comments about the fender style

Bottom Line:
Nice solid bike, good in the city and takes a beating jumping curbs and potholes, forks and rims very tough. Do a 20km commute throug parks and mud, streets.I have the 22" frame and it fits my 6'2" well. Shifts well on hills under load, brakes are good. Fenders keeps me very dry no matter what weather.

Favorite Ride:   Kona Smoke

Purchased At:   Velorution Sault

Similar Products Used:   Commuted for 3 year with cheaper mountain style bike, got tired of repairs

Bike Setup:   Change handlegrip shifters to better style. I added carrying rack

Submitted by theresa a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    looks, smooth ride, all year rideablity!!!!!

Weaknesses:    not going to win a speed race.

Bottom Line:
this is the first bike i bought from a bike shop...all other bikes were the cheap kid ones from k-mart. i had not ridden in years but had my eco-stimulus check. i felt like i was flying! i rode from east nash to west for work, took about an hour and now i ride to work in chicago. i am surprised on how well it rides in chicago winters. not the fastest bike but i get my csa on it every week. it is beautiful...i work in a very ritz part of town and people still comment on how great it looks..these are people riding bikes that cost ten times more than mine. i just love love love this bike.

Favorite Ride:   kona smoke

Purchased At:   eastside cycles nash

Bike Setup:   to side folding baskets in the rear

POPE WATCH 2013: White Smoke Spotted

No name of the new pontiff yet, but whoever he is let's hope he doesn't spread the same shame as Ratzinger. [url=http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/13/cardinals-elect-new-pope/?hpt=hp_t1]Cardinals elect new pope – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs[/url]Read More »

Do you smoke after sex?

The website reporting this is perfectly named. [url=http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/loaded-gun-in-vagina-687341]Cops: Perp Had Loaded Revolver In Her Vagina | The Smoking Gun[/url] I have nothing else for you today. Isn't that enough?Read More »

Smoke and mirrors

To any of you that believe you won some great moral victory, realize you are being used as the right was during the prior administration. Realize that they are not different, but the same with the same agenda and utilizing the same methods and tools. We are the rubber band they stretch and pull, s ... Read More »

Fire Smoke

So we've been polluting a good chunk of the west with the fires in WA, but its been bad here. Today we have a couple miles of visibility, last friday it was maybe 1/2 mile. I'm escaping this weekend but I haven't been in air this bad since some fires in LA around 8 years ago. I busted out the smo ... Read More »

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

I admit that the poll results surprise me. I didn't think that there was that much support for [URL="http://www.denverpost.com/news/marijuana/ci_21548398/colorado-marijuana-legalization-initiative-leads-new-poll"]legalization[/URL] in this conservative state. [QUOTE]A majority of Colorado voters s ... Read More »