Kona Dew Deluxe Hybrid Bike

Pedals: Wellgo A9 w/ clips and straps
Tires: 700 x 38c WTB Weirwolf

Submitted by Joe a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    Easy smooth gearing. High quality parts, hydraulic disc brakes on the 09's. $550 is a tremendous deal.

Weaknesses:    Some people might want the drop bar feature, easy on those wrists now. Bright Blue paint and Gold Trim just screams "steal me."

Bottom Line:
Picked up a 2009 Kona Dew Deluxe from the local Bike Gallery. I was in the market for a plus, but they had the Dew Deluxe on for a smoking deal. I couldn't pass it up, and after a test ride I knew it was "my" bike.

I have a very short and sweet commute of around 3 miles. The Kona is my first bike in about 15 years. Since I wasn't sure how serious I would be about cycling I wanted a hybrid that could be the daily commuter and go on the occasional weekend trek through the trails. The Kona delivers all that as a go anywhere be the bike you want it to be. I considered the Jake and the Dew Drop, but after parting it out the main difference was the drop bars. This bike makes it happen, easy to climb hills, nimble on dirt trails and small gravel, fun on the road. For a new bike owner I'm more pleased than I imagined.

Favorite Ride:   Portland Parks and Trails

Purchased At:   The Bike Gallery

Similar Products Used:   Kona Plus 09, Specialized, etc...

Bike Setup:   Stock right now, cept fenders and a rear rack. I probably won't change anything too soon unless it goes out. Maybe if I find the perfect saddle.

Submitted by Ethan a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    tires, frame and fork, weight, speed, components, durability, price

Weaknesses:    rust

Bottom Line:
Actually its a 2009 kona dew but i just love! Its wicked fast but that might be from me adjusting to a mountain bike(even though it was wimpy with an 60mm travel shock and all) but nonetheless i find my sel easily reaching cruising speeds on flat surfaces of 25km/h. the frame is also a huge plus. It can handle curb hoping and the tires can easily ride over large chuncks of gravel without going flat. I personally like these tires very much because they're thin yet they are slightley knobed. I just love this bike except for i found rust on bolth brake mechanismes even though i have stored it in a dry climate.

Purchased At:   simons cycles

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Slumlord a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame.
Comfortable ride.
Pretty quick
Love the disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Supplied tyres.(though very good if you're staying on sealed paths/roads)
the middle chain ring is pretty weak, it's made out of sh*t metal and bent when climbing up a pretty steep hill. I have to replace it.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after getting stress fracutres running. I had not ridden a bike for over 20 years and have quite enjoyed this bike.

I weigh 100kgs and do mainly road/bike path and gravel.

Pro's: strong bike, easy to pedal and very good gearing range (good for hills). Fast on the road.

Cons: Getting tyres off is very difficult, but that seems only to apply to the Continental Countryride tyres that are supplied with this bike. I have swapped tyres and put on Continental Travelcontact tyres and they are quite easy to remove.

Look, If I stayed mainly on the roads/paths with the very occasional gravel ride, I'dsay this is all you need.

Favorite Ride:   bike path/trail

Purchased At:   Lygon Cycles

Similar Products Used:   N/a

Bike Setup:   Details are at the Kona website.

Submitted by Art Mulder a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2008

Strengths:    Disc brakes are great. Solid Frame

Weaknesses:    Wheels are too close (vertically) to forks, making it very hard to put mud guards on bike. Frame design makes it impossible to put on a rear kickstand, and cable path around the bottom bracket makes it very hard to mount a center kick stand.

Bottom Line:
Horrible design for the bike rims. Getting the tire off the rim is VERY difficult. Getting the tire back ON the rim even requires a tire iron.

Purchased At:   London, Ontario

Submitted by riderbako a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2008

Strengths:    -Very nice geometry.
-Solid disc brakes.
-Great feeling cockpit.
-Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet but I'll be changing the stem to better suit my body type.

Bottom Line:
2008 Dew Deluxe is a speed freak. I'm not a hard core mtn cyclist, nor am I a roadie but this bike really hits the mark. I take offroad when necessary and fly on the street to get around town.

Favorite Ride:   Kern River Parkway - 30 mile

Purchased At:   WheelWorld.com in Cu

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it to date. I know Jamis makes a nice 853 model.

Bike Setup:   Factory stock so far. Will be upgrading seat, pedals, and stem as well as adding computer and light.

Mountain bike wheels on a Kona Dew Deluxe?

I'm about to get a Dew Deluxe which will be used mainly as a commuter... it comes with 700c wheels and Shimano M475 discs [url]http://www.konaworld.com/08_dewdeluxe.htm[/url] I have the opportunity to buy a set of Alex TD17 rims laced to Shimano Deore M475 disc hubs. I'm thinking I could fit the ... Read More »

Kona dew deluxe/dr dew

More or less decided on one of the two. Wondering what people think about them and if the upgrades on the Dr justify 400 more bucks. Gonna be using this bike for commuting and just riding around town. ThanksRead More »

Dew Deluxe or KHS urban X-treme

I am in between those two bikes. From what my amateur mind tells me, the KHS has a better frame and fork, and the dew deluxe has better components. I'm not sure where I should go with this one. I'm not too sure if the KHS is too road oriented as I will be riding on some VERY light trails on my wa ... Read More »