Kona Dew Plus Hybrid Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Daily commutes, quick jaunts to the coffee shop and long rides on Saturday mornings await you in style with Kona's Dew Plus. Its lightweight,...

Submitted by Thomas Cox a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2017

Strengths:    - Strong and reliable disc brakes, espeically for the price
- Very comfortable riding position
- Easy to maintain, and reasonable quality components for the price

Weaknesses:    - slightly heavy for longer rides
- rear derailleur could be higher quality
- can be difficult to align wheel with brake pads without squeaking due to the flexibility of the front fork

Bottom Line:
I've had my Dew + for around 18 months and use it regularly for commuting, and weekend rides on bike paths. I've been very pleased with my purchase, and the bik'es veratility has been great. The upright riding position is very comfortable, and the bike was easy to add a rack and panniers to.

Going uphill or for longer rides can be a little challenging due to the weight of the bike and fairly small chainring at the rear. I've found my Dew + easy to maintain, and service, and find good improvement in performance after servicing. I've felt really safe on this bike, and been very impressed with the disc brakes.

Overall I 'd definitely recommend this bike as a great bike for commuting and for casual rides, but would suggest looking at something lighter if you're going to ride a lot of uphill or rides greater than 15-17km.

Purchased At:   Australia

Submitted by Commuter a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2015

Strengths:    It goes fast and it stops dang fast too!

Weaknesses:    My only gripe is that I have to work a little harder on the hill as compared to my 27 speed MTB. The Dew Plus could do with a slightly larger rear cog for hill work but I guess what it has is a pretty good compromise to suit most people.

Bottom Line:
I have had my 2015 Dew Plus for a week and a bit, I use it for a 16 km round trip commute which is about 1/3 hill and 2/3 flat. Prior to buying this bike I was using a Trek 6000 MTB with slick tyres as my commuter.

I actually had another bike in mind when I went to purchase a commuter bike (which was beefier with front shocks- looking more like a MTB) after I described what I needed it for the salesman directed me to the Kona Dew Plus which he believed would be better suited for needs (and it was quite a bit cheaper too). He was so right!

I love this bike - for me - the riding position is perfect- the disc brakes are wickedly strong - it is a joy to ride fast or slow.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere as long as it's warm and sunny!

Purchased At:   Bike Barn Wellington

Bike Setup:   Standard setup

Submitted by Trek 520 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2014

Strengths:    Decent stiff frame and components

Weaknesses:    not really

Bottom Line:
I use Kona Dew Plus ( my is green) mostly for around town riding - need comfortable , cheaper and more agile bicycle with disc brakes for city then my touring Trek 520 I use now only for self supporting long distances tours ) . This Kona is fast , responsive and reliable bicycle you can ride all day long ...... I like disk brakes - they are not top of the line for sure - but they can stop you fast in all weather condition . Only rear cassete was installed for better one here in Cap"s bicycle in Richmond , they did install for me 700 x 32 Schwalbe Marathon Tire and top of line Axiom rear rack so I can use panniers .... Trek computer was also installed . Bike was serviced first time after about 3000 trouble free commuting kilometers by Cap"s bicycle - they service all my bicycles for years and again excellent service . Kona Dew Plus is excellent affordable commuter for rider who need performance for reasonable price .

Favorite Ride:   Cascade Highway #20 in Washington state

Purchased At:   Cap's Richmond, BC

Similar Products Used:   Trek 520 , Trek Navigator 3 , MTB 29er Norco Charger 3, , Townee ratfink , Kona Dew Plus , Flying Pigeon , Winter Modified MTB Raleigh Tarantula , Hybrid Raleigh 50C , touring Cannondale 1000X .

Bike Setup:   Top quality bottom bracket , cassette , crank , chain and pedals from Shimano , 700x32 Schwalbe marathon Tires , Kona bicycle stand , Trek computer , Axiom rack , Axiom panniers , Axiom handle bar bag and Planet Bike lights rear and front .