Kona Dew Plus Hybrid Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Daily commutes, quick jaunts to the coffee shop and long rides on Saturday mornings await you in style with Kona's Dew Plus. Its lightweight,...

Submitted by Commuter a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2015

Strengths:    It goes fast and it stops dang fast too!

Weaknesses:    My only gripe is that I have to work a little harder on the hill as compared to my 27 speed MTB. The Dew Plus could do with a slightly larger rear cog for hill work but I guess what it has is a pretty good compromise to suit most people.

Bottom Line:
I have had my 2015 Dew Plus for a week and a bit, I use it for a 16 km round trip commute which is about 1/3 hill and 2/3 flat. Prior to buying this bike I was using a Trek 6000 MTB with slick tyres as my commuter.

I actually had another bike in mind when I went to purchase a commuter bike (which was beefier with front shocks- looking more like a MTB) after I described what I needed it for the salesman directed me to the Kona Dew Plus which he believed would be better suited for needs (and it was quite a bit cheaper too). He was so right!

I love this bike - for me - the riding position is perfect- the disc brakes are wickedly strong - it is a joy to ride fast or slow.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere as long as it's warm and sunny!

Purchased At:   Bike Barn Wellington

Bike Setup:   Standard setup

Submitted by Trek 520 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2014

Strengths:    Decent stiff frame and components

Weaknesses:    not really

Bottom Line:
I use Kona Dew Plus ( my is green) mostly for around town riding - need comfortable , cheaper and more agile bicycle with disc brakes for city then my touring Trek 520 I use now only for self supporting long distances tours ) . This Kona is fast , responsive and reliable bicycle you can ride all day long ...... I like disk brakes - they are not top of the line for sure - but they can stop you fast in all weather condition . Only rear cassete was installed for better one here in Cap"s bicycle in Richmond , they did install for me 700 x 32 Schwalbe Marathon Tire and top of line Axiom rear rack so I can use panniers .... Trek computer was also installed . Bike was serviced first time after about 3000 trouble free commuting kilometers by Cap"s bicycle - they service all my bicycles for years and again excellent service . Kona Dew Plus is excellent affordable commuter for rider who need performance for reasonable price .

Favorite Ride:   Cascade Highway #20 in Washington state

Purchased At:   Cap's Richmond, BC

Similar Products Used:   Trek 520 , Trek Navigator 3 , MTB 29er Norco Charger 3, , Townee ratfink , Kona Dew Plus , Flying Pigeon , Winter Modified MTB Raleigh Tarantula , Hybrid Raleigh 50C , touring Cannondale 1000X .

Bike Setup:   Top quality bottom bracket , cassette , crank , chain and pedals from Shimano , 700x32 Schwalbe marathon Tires , Kona bicycle stand , Trek computer , Axiom rack , Axiom panniers , Axiom handle bar bag and Planet Bike lights rear and front .