Marin Mountain Bikes Point Reyes Hybrid Bike

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Frame Material: 7005 aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 13", 15", 17", 18.5", 20"
Colors: Brush Matte Gunmetal
Pedals: BMX Platform
Tires: 26 x 1.50" WTB Slickosaurus

Submitted by Russell Binckes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Strengths:    Handles all the potholes and tracks on the back roads and trails.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, it has served me well over the past 4 years. I have racked up a few thousand miles on it since then. I enjoy cycling the back roads, these are quieter, and have more hills; so this gives me a better workout. These kind of roads are great for exercise.

Favorite Ride:   Country back roads

Purchased At:   Bike chain, Redruth

Submitted by Hachedete a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2008

Strengths:    Light and fast. Rigid carbon fork strong enough to endure the job when you have to get out of the road.

Weaknesses:    Amateurish seat post.

Bottom Line:
After waiting a couple of years for a chance to go there, bought it in CA only to bring it home to Santiago, Chile, where there's no Marin dealers at all. And that's a shame, since Santiago is a mostly flat city to ride through, tailor-made for a stealthy-looking, sporty-light, awesome-fast, rugged city bike like this one. I'm talking about a 5 to 15 miles daily commuting, because if you're thinking to tour around for hour-lasting rides, you'll probably need a longer tee than the one included in this model. And hey, girls seem to just love it!

Favorite Ride:   Marin Point Reyes

Purchased At:   Bicycle John's (Nort

Similar Products Used:   The old singlespeed of my childhood years.

Bike Setup:   Stock version. (Just changed the seat post and got rid of some of the decals.)

Submitted by jlfunder a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2007

Strengths:    ineffably sweet ride. responsive. crisp. totally naked fun.

Weaknesses:    A few too many stickers on the frame.

Bottom Line:
Well after months of trial rides I finally got my commuter bike. Ordered it through REI for their '100% satisfaction' policy, but no way am I taking it back. I was skeptical of the downgraded components from the 2006 model, but except for occasional slight squeaks from the Hayes brakes it is very compatible package (and it is $200 cheaper than last year). Those hippies in Marin county must know what they are doing. I wake up really looking forward to my 4-mile commute over monster Pittsburgh hills and through insane Oakland traffic. In Frick park it ate up rocks mud and gravel like a true mtn bike. I finished off a 25 mile Sunday shakedown ride without even a sore rear. The short frame and long stem give a good weight distribution without excessively stretching your body or putting your head below your butt. The carbon fork doesn’t seem to flex but I don’t feel beaten up like after a ride on a Cannondale. The LX shifters are great on my arthritic thumbs, just brush them and you shift. Mostly it is smooth and swift. I ride two gears higher than what I needed with my 2 year-old hybrid bike-with less exertion! Car doors, curbs, potholes- it knows what to do before you even tell it. Not twitchy at speed but very maneuverable. Plain gray with no bells and whistles. Just a bike. But a great one. I think I am in love.

Favorite Ride:   early sunday morning

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Bad Boy, Scott SUB20, Novaro Buzz,

Bike Setup:   7005 Alu Frame/Carbon fork/ Deore/LX/26"x 1.6" Conti Slicks./ Hayes mech MX-2 disks/ 20" frame/ 26 lbs.

Submitted by billymillion a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    Brakes, frame, tires, shifter, seat.

Weaknesses:    I could use one more gear going downhill. A different hand position would be interesting.

Bottom Line:
Agile, fast and tough. I ride a 14 mile commute on some rough, fast la streets and it really works for me.
The frame is stiff, brakes are strong and progressive, xt is the bomb and slicasourous tires rock!

Favorite Ride:   from work to home

Purchased At:   sierratradingpost.co

Similar Products Used:   I had one other hybrid, a 92(?) trek 750 with drop bars that I rather liked.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a cane creek thudbuster st seatpost. Smoothes out Lincoln Blvd.

Submitted by Rhindle a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Strengths:    Frame, handling, brakes

Weaknesses:    no suspension, gearing too high at the bottom end

Bottom Line:
Great bike - use it to do the 16 mile round trip to and from work through everything Los Angeles roads can throw at me!

Frame is great - strong, extremely light and responsive. Balance and weight distribution are also top notch. The brakes are superb although they work best once you've got a bit of temperature into them. The Shimano Nexave gearing is also very impressive, silky smooth and responsive.

Minor gripes are the cheap plastic handlbar end stoppers quickly worked themselves loose and are gone which was annoying after shelling out a grand on a top-of-the-range machine. Just detracted from the otherwise very good build quality. The gearing at the bottom end is a little high - it certainly requires a bit more effort than other bikes I've ridden to get up certain hills - but this is a trade-off for when you get to the other end and have a good deal of pedalling in reserve even when you're at high speed.

This is a no-nonsense bike - it's light, fast, responsive and has phenomenal stopping power. Keep in mind that to acheive this it is also completely 'bare bones'. There's no front or rear suspension, no comfy soft saddle, no saddle suspension, no refelectors - nothing. Bear this in mind as you'll not do a faster, more responsive street ride in your life - but the complete lack of 'creature comforts' mean you really will feel those potholes, drain covers and bumps.

Favorite Ride:   Marin Point Reyes

Purchased At:   Veloworks LA

Bike Setup:   no mods or specs

Point Reyes National Seashore

Exposures from a few different trips to Point Reyes over the years. I saw a dolphin near the lighthouse and elephant seals at Drake's Bay. Sometimes people see whales but I have not seen them yet. [IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_RNSz4qRP9ns/TY7XYkbZPQI/AAAAAAAAKXE/-DfsVq34ROU/s912/PointRey ... Read More »

Riding SF to Point Reyes next Weekend - Advice please

Hi Everyone! I'm coming down to SF to do a nice ride and hike/camp with 2 of my friends. 2 of us are recreational riders from Seattle (50 - 100 miles a week with a few 300ft climbs) and one is a beginner who hasn't ridden much at all but is in good shape. Our plan is to leave early Friday mor ... Read More »

Point Reyes riding

I've been considering riding in Point Reyes. I've been there several times in the car or on the motorcycle, but have always wanted to come back and ride the cycle. I'd like to ride out to the lighthouse and back, and also ride up to Pierce Point and back. My only concern is traffic. It's not the ... Read More »