Motobecane Cafe Latte Hybrid Bike

• Stainless Spokes 28fr/28r
  • Forged aluminum Crankset

Submitted by Jim E.

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2015

Strengths:    Light, Smooth, Quiet. True wheels and great brakes, adjusted perfectly.

Weaknesses:    Hard Seat, straight handlebar, inadequate foam grips. Oh, and it only comes in white.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Cafe Latte on Bikes Direct. Should have bought the 21 inch frame, but the 19 inch works fine with a riser handlebar. I knew that I would have to buy a swept handlebar anyway, so it cost no more for the riser bar. I did have to put in longer cable housings, which is no big deal. I also needed to install decent paddle-style hand grips to replace the utterly inadequate foam grips. I also put on an ARS classic saddle as it is much better than the hard saddle the bike comes with.

The reason that I scored the bike so high is that it is just so light and lithe. The rear derailleur goes "snick snick snick" when I shift it. I go faster on this bike with less effort than any other bike I have ever had. My wife pointed out how silent it is as we ride. The wheels and brakes were great right from the start. All I had to do was tune one caliper a touch to balance the front.

I knew that any high bar road bike I bought would need the things done that I did with it. It is difficult to understand why otherwise well designed bikes have such poor handlebar ergonomics and saddles. But they all have this in common. I see people riding on these bikes all the time with their thumbs over the tops of their hand grips, steering with the palms of their hands. Heaven only knows how they accustom their rear ends to those saddles.

If you want a nice, light, handy bike, buy this one and replace a few key components. You will enjoy the ride for sure.

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to assemble, not much tunning needed, bikedirect $499, fast, sturdy for a man over 210lbs, disc breaks!!!, flat black easy to touch up. handle bar adjustment.

Weaknesses:    toe clips that came with it are junk, seat is a little hard

Bottom Line:
Great bike for $499, Its a road bike that allows you to sit upright. Not for off road at all not even smooth trails. Nice components easy to assemble if you have a bike rack if not take it to a shop. Not much tunning needed right out of the box. I am very happy with my purchase. I used to work at a high end bike shop in the early 90's so I know a little about bikes. This bike would have run about $700 back then.

Submitted by SUDS155 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    Weight(21 Lbs),welds,paint all really nice.

Weaknesses:    Microshift,seat,grips & pedals, Kenda tires wore out at 700 mi.

Bottom Line:
The only thing i don't like is Microshift front derailleur,it took awhile to get it dialed in.When i received the bike the wheels needed truing $40.00 at LBS.

Favorite Ride:   everywhere

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   Only road bike i have ever owned.

Bike Setup:   Installed Botranger ergo seat & seat post rack,Ergon GP1 performance grips,Redline BMX studded pedals,Conti's 4 Season tires,Bell F20 comp.,2 Blackburn Voyager 3.3 headlights,rear tail light & strobe,topped off with a Mirrycle MTB bar end mirror.I love this setup,this bike, for the small amount of money invested

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!