Motobecane Cafe Sprint Hybrid Bike

• TruVativ Triple Crankset
  • Threadless Stem and Micro-adjust Aluminum Seatpost

Submitted by L Crane

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    Quick, nimble, responsive, great value for the bucks, good wheels, decent entry level components

Weaknesses:    poor saddle, long crank arms, hard to eliminate cranks, low spoke count for less than perfect road surfaces.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this bike in July 2011 to get back into riding after a 15 year hiatus. Took my time assembling and tweaking. I went by the recommended frame size and realize in hindsight that I should have gone up one size: long torso, short legs; live and learn. That being said, this bike is light for its class, fast, has very comfortable frame geometry, and eats up pathways (unlike my old mtb).

The handlebars do squeak as others have said. There is also a squeak in the drive train under stress that I cannot eliminate. Not sure whether the adjustable stem is a pro or con; I'm leaning toward con. Had the shifters adjusted by my LBS after one year of cable stretch, which is normal.

Custom tweaks: immediately installed a more comfortable saddle. I took 3 inches off each end of the handlebars, moved the brakes and shifters inward and installed bar ends in order to stretch out somewhat on longer rides. The long bar ends helped somewhat, but then I discovered Origin8 bar end drops and now I am a happy camper. The flat bars look good and allow mtb shifters but are brutal on longer rides due to limited hand positions. Now I can ride in the drops and definitely transfer more power to my legs when I need to. One caveat: the brakes are on the flats and twice I nearly crashed when instinctively reaching for road brake levers...there is a learning curve here! In my opinion and for the low investment, I will stick with the drop bar ends and train myself to go reach up to brake. Mind over matter and muscle memory. I often ride on greenways and do wish that the wheelset had a higher spoke count to distribute the surface anomalies and harsh bumps I encounter, but so far so good with the heavy gauge spokes. After hundreds of miles I haven't had to true the wheels!

The more I ride my Cafe Sprint the better I like it. Reminds me of a road bike but far more comfortable. I saved about $300 over my LBSs - any of them - and would not hesitate to buy from bikesdirect again.

Submitted by tdp

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight (about 23.5 lbs or so), looks good, shifts smoothly, nice ride. Others complained about the seat, but the Velo seat is fine (maybe it's been upgraded?).

Weaknesses:    Handlebars are squeaky, creaky and cheap. Impossible to torque down tightly enough to eliminate the creaking (bent my allen wrench and still creaks) and tends to work itself loose. I finally wrapped teflon tape around the bar and at the angle adjust. Seems to be helping, but it's ridiculous to have to jerry-rig a fix for a new bike. Handle grips are cheap. Toe clips are awful (didn't want them anyway). Sizing: If you're near the upper end of a recommended size, I would go one larger.

Bottom Line:
Lightweight and some nice components, but the corner-cutting on the handlebars is obvious and annoying.

Submitted by Mike G a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    Ride is very smooth and very responsive. The color is a bonus and handles very well and very please with the bike performance. I got the professional tuneup before I rode and I am so please and satisfied customer. One other thing that I have to mention is that the people at Bikesdirect.com were I purchase it especially Matt and his whole crew just want to say Thank you guys for the excellent customer service that you provided me. They were so professional and couldn't believe how much knowledge and quick response that they had given me when I purchase my Cafe Sprint. So I highly recommend Bikesdirect.com

Weaknesses:    The seat is horrible my god had to stand up especially didn't where my shorts with pads. The pedals was something that I do recommend to get aftermarket ones because it is something that I couldn't stand on this bike.

Bottom Line:
Well I highly recommend this bike for anyone looking for a good comfortable ride and also have an option to really go fast as a road bike. Also this bike is a road bike with a flat bar and you can put a end bar so you can ride like a road bike but most of all very comfortable. This bike is very solid with carbon forks also a bonus. Actually my bike is a 2013 Cafe Sprint...

Favorite Ride:   Cafe Sprint

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Absolute 3.0
Diamond Back

Bike Setup:   Factory with after market Pedals, Seat and end bar

Submitted by David Chrisman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Strengths:    Mountain bike style geometry with good responsiveness. Very light, fast and nimble. Comfy riding position for commuting and can lower bars for serious riding. Smooth shifting for the price. The more I ride this bike the more I like it.

Weaknesses:    The toe straps fell apart on my pedals so I took them off, now the pedals are great. The seat is not my style, so I threw on my wtb comp saddle. The stem sucks and methinks the stem and front fork combination is squeaky which gives the impression of low quality. Shifters are kind of cheap feeling. Most of this is just my opinion on the components and really don't affect the quality of the ride in any way.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a lot of fun now that everything is dialed in. The shifting is good for the price ($550) and the stock components are generally very capable with the exception of those listed under the weaknesses. The geometry is very comfortable for me mainly because I ride mtb's and bought this for a commuter. I had a Kona Dew back when and this bike is leaps and bounds better in regards to the shifting and weight. This bike keeps me relatively sweat free on long commutes and is also fun for recreational use.

Favorite Ride:   Along the beach bike path