Motobecane Elite FS Hybrid Bike

• Forged Aluminum V Brakes
  • Stainless Spokes 36fr/36r

Submitted by Mike a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2013

Strengths:    Long-lasting, very low maintainance.

Weaknesses:    Derailleur assembly is bolted directly into the frame; causes problems for some people if machine-tools aren't applied carefully and the threading becomes stripped (but this has not happened to me).

Bottom Line:
Picked up this gem at a pawn shop for ~$200, a few years ago. Since then, I've only had to replace ONE flat tire, and it's not given me any other problems. I've ridden it to-and-from school and work on a daily basis, during several different spans of time. Here in Austin, TX, there are LOTS of hills, and this thing handles them with ease. I'm usually the crazy guy speeding through crowded streets and intersections, wrecklessly (literally!). It handles great on concrete, asphalt, and on packed gravel & the occasional detour through the grass.

I'm not an expert on bikes, but I've been through maybe 7 or 8 bikes over the last decade (lots of theft here and I have trouble learning from my mistakes), and this is one of the best I've had.

Love it.

Submitted by Moderate Rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good and attractive.

Weaknesses:    Components, design, workmanship, WARRANTY

Bottom Line:
We bought this bike from bikesdirect.com in November 2011. We have used it sparingly and used it with care - no abuse what-so-ever. It was only used locally (around the neighborhood) for short distances like 6 miles or so - until when the problem occurred.

My son and I went for a club ride last month. He was riding this bike and I was riding my Trek road bike. About 7 miles into the ride, my son started complaining how tiring it is to ride Motobecane. So, I switched my bike with him. Then he was riding happily and I was struggling to keep up. 18 miles into the ride, we were negotiating an uphill and while shifting gears, I heard and felt some mechanical failure. I got down immediately and looked, to my surprise, the entire derailer assembly had broken and come apart. Since the bike has become dysfunctional, we took the SAG support and on the way back home, I left the bike for repair at my favorite bike store.

According to the mechanic, the derailer assembly is directly fastened to the frame through a threaded hole and the threads on that hole have become stripped. He suggested that I scrap the bike because replacing the frame is not worth it.

Bikesdirect.com took a couple of sentances from my email and explained EXACTLY what happened - very close to what the mechanic had diagnosed. Makes me think that this problem is common with this bike. They washed off their hands saying they won't do anything.

Motobecane site has a nice warranty page that describes exactly what needs to be done to claim the warranty. I scanned the mechanic's diagnosys, took a few photos of the damage, and submitted to theiry warranty email address. They took a few days to answer, but washed their hands off saying (1) thread stripping on the frame is not covered by warranty and (2) derailer breaking is covered under parts warranty and I should go to Shimano. Shimano Web site clearly says that all components that are part of a bike which is 1 year or less should be handled by the dealer / manufacturer. I am yet to hear from Motobecane for my reply.

I do understand that products fail sometimes and I can tolerate that. I just can not accept it when a seller and manufacturer don't stand behind their product.

If Motobecane resolves the issue, I will come back and update this review. If you don't see an update, that means they didn't care and I just gave up.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Submitted by michael galvan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to handle for the casual rider. Speeds great and shifts easy. Rugged build.

Weaknesses:    Chain adjust sometimes males you think it going out but it self corrects.

Bottom Line:
I would own another if I could afford it !!

Submitted by H. M. Truslow a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    Good value for price and handles well.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but good for exercise.

Bottom Line:
I used to race and tour long distance (many years ago). Needed to get back in shape and didn't care to ride a dropped bar road bike any longer. For the money, this is a very comfortable bike with decent components, nice handling and not too too heavy.

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Submitted by Seattle Bob a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    Shimano gear shifters work nicely.

Weaknesses:    Crinding while pedaling
Wheels way out of true
Obviously inferior metal parts
Very heavy

Bottom Line:
I ordered the Motobecane FS Elite hybrid bike from Bikes Direct thinking it would be equivalent to a Trek hybrid. No such luck. This bike feels cheap. When I pedal the crank grinds. The nuts and bolts felt so cheap and crappy I was afraid I was going to strip them just putting the bike together and adjusting it. While it may have Shimano gear shifters, the pedals, handlebars, and wheels are made out of inferior materials. The wheels are out of true. The frame is very heavy. You get what you pay for. if you are looking for a quality bike, this is not it. Don't believe the marketing that this is similar to a $600 bike. It feels like a Walmart bike.