Raleigh USA Detour 4.0 Hybrid Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

It takes just one pedal stroke on the Detour 4.0 and you are hooked. It offers efficient comfort with an upright position, a cush suspension fork, and a butted Atomic 13 aluminum frame. This is the perfect all-purpose town bicycle.

Submitted by Jonathan Kittrell a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2010

Strengths:    Comes in XL frame. Nice color as opposed to the blah colors of the 2010 models. Great springs. Good for a person with a tall and/or large frame.

Weaknesses:    seat is sort of uncomfortable. I have had to take my bike in for service to get the seat adjusted because it slips easily even though it is tightly clasped.

Bottom Line:
I am very satisfied with this bicycle. I really debated whether or not to shell out the money for a bike of this caliber. Since I had never really ridden much since childhood, I figured a discount store bike might do just as well. However, since I am 6'5" w/ a 36" inseam, I was told I needed a bike w/ an XL frame. I finally got it as a birthday gift and haven't regretted it.

Favorite Ride:   Longleaf Trace

Purchased At:   Moore Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Walmart 10 speed

Bike Setup:   xl frame. Man's bike.

Submitted by Tola a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    1. Excellent bike for the price.
2. Smooth comfortable ride.
3. Adjustable handlebars, shocks and seat post.
4. Respectable performance.

Weaknesses:    1. Stock tires are heavy and limit the bike's speed and handling.
2. Although comfortable, the stock pedals are very flat and limit performance.

Bottom Line:
I purchased my 2008 Raleigh Detour 4.0 after several months of searching for a new hybrid bike. At first I considered buying a more expensive bike, however, after the test ride, I found the Raleigh to be the equal of the more expensive bike. I am still happy with my bike after 4 months of riding various terrain. Except for initial break in and adjustments, there have been no problems. With better tires the bike is fast enough for the road, while still practical enough for the trail. A nice feature of this bike is that you can adjust the handlebars, seat position, front fork and seat post, depending on how you want to ride. If comfort is your thing, then the bike can be set to give you a nice cushy upright ride. However, if you want to go a little faster, much of the performance robbing “cushiness” can be tightened up and the handlebars set so that you are bent over at a modest 45 degree angle. Although quite a bit faster than a mountain bike, if your looking to go burn up the pavement, then this bike is probably not for you. I recommend this bike for commuters and recreational riders who like the features of a comfort bike, but with added zip.

Favorite Ride:   Blue Ridge Parkway

Purchased At:   Local bike shop in D

Similar Products Used:   Various mountain and hybrid bikes, plus a vintage 1970's Vista road bike (Ha!).

Bike Setup:   Stock except for upgrading the heavy poor performing tires with better all terrain tires. This made a notable difference in speed and handling.

Submitted by Charles Bush a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    1. I would rate the gears as good.
2. Comfortable ride, and fast.
3. Good quality for the price.
4. Adjustable handlebar.

Weaknesses:    1. Have had to take it to the shop two times for adjustments to make the shifting better.
2. Seat not as comfortable as I had expected. Post seems to slip even though I have it as tight as I can get it.

Bottom Line:
I just started biking and two to three times/week will ride up to 27 miles round trip to work. I first bought a mountain bike at Sears. It was OK, but I decided to get something faster and with better gears. I settled on the Detour 4.0 based on its features and price. Here are my observations:

1. I was pleased that my one-way commute was shortened 10-15 minutes. I can get this bike going faster.

2. The gears were much better. I have been back to the shop twice for adjustments on both the front and back gears, but now they are working fine. Good, crisp shifting and surprisingly, I use almost all of the gears.

3. The ride is very comfortable. With the mountain bike, my hands would go numb after 30 minutes of riding. The Detour has special grips which align your wrists properly. I have not experienced any numbness even after 60 minutes on the bike.

4. The seat is not the most comfortable. And it seems to slip, even though I have the clasp so tight that it is very hard to open up.

5. The ability to adjust the position of the handlebar is nice. I have tried a couple of positions.

Overall, good value for the money. I would recommend it.

Favorite Ride:   commuter

Purchased At:   Marty's Cycle, Avon

Bike Setup:   Added a rear view mirror and computer.