Raleigh USA Passage 5.0 Hybrid Bike

• Hayes HMX-2 Disc Brakes
  • Alloy Micro Adjust Suspension Seatpost

Submitted by Tony a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth ride.
Comfortable ride.
Great suspension.
Great disk brakes when wet or dusty.

Weaknesses:    Shifting takes some extra tuning at first when you break the bike in, but our dealer does free adjustments for 1 year.

Bottom Line:
After not riding bikes for about 12 years, my wife and I wanted to start to ride again, but in very comfortable way. The Raleigh Passage 5.0 is great for this purpose. We ride maybe 10 to 20 miles on some nice trails. This hybrid is great because it alows us to ride on both paved and unpaved trails easily. The bike are really comfortable and we love the ride. We are very happy with this bike (we looked at many others before buying).

Favorite Ride:   Desplaines River Trail

Purchased At:   Ski and Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Trek and Giant bikes.

Submitted by Fireman451 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2006

Strengths:    Suspension, adjsutable handlebars, disc breaks, overall smooth ride, super clean paint job - Pearl White looks very classy.

Weaknesses:    Disc brakes are little noisy, but that's about it.

Bottom Line:
After visiting several local bike shops and evaluating my needs as a recreational and possible commuter cyclist that I should go with a Hybrid or Cross Bike. I haven't owned a bike since I was 15, and now that I'm 36 with kids, I was looking for a bike to ride with my children as well as riding it to work on occasion. After looking at a few of these Hybrids, one salesman showed me the 2006 Raleigh Passage 5.0. The bike was a beautiful Pearl White on Bright White, had disc brakes, EZ Fire shifters, comfortable seat with suspension, adjustable shocks on the fork and nice 700x35 wheels for easy riding. Not to mention the bike was on sale ($440) to make room for the 2007 models. I've been adjusting to the bike and moving the adjustable bars and seat for maximum comfort. I gotta say, I really like this bike so far, I'm really trying to get as much biking time as I can get now. After being out of the game for as long as I have, this bike seems to be a great way to get back in it. If your a new rider like me, this bike is a good option with reall y nice features for the price. There's probably better quality out there, but for the price (under $500) this bike is more than enough for newbies, commuters or recreation riders. This bike is an A+.

Favorite Ride:   Raleigh Passage 5.0 (2006)

Purchased At:   Village CycleSport

Submitted by Mark Nienke a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    Good comfort.

Weaknesses:    Crank Bearings. We have had to have the crank bearings (lower bracket) replaced on both bikes. They started making noise between 250 and 300 miles. The dealer was great and replaced the bearings.

Bottom Line:
My wife and I both purchased the passage 5.0 at the same time. We love the bikes.

Favorite Ride:   Colorado Foothils

Purchased At:   Recycled Cycles Fort

Similar Products Used:   Mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Rider adjusted.

Submitted by jla956 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2006

Strengths:    Comfort, 24 speed, brakes

Bottom Line:
Bike is a 2006 model. My wife and I each got a Passage 5.0 and love them. We spent the last two weeks fine tuning and adjusting the bike to fit us. No problems what so ever regarding quality issues. Seat is very comfortable once it's adjusted for the rider. This is the first bike that we've had with disc brakes and they work very well. Overall would have no problem recommending this bike.

Favorite Ride:   White Rock Lake - Dallas

Purchased At:   Wheels in Motion

Bike Setup:   customized to rider using standard equipment